DIY - 3M Nomad Type Noodle Mats For Ford Ecosport

Thread Starter #1
It was a long wait of 3 1/2 months to get my Ecosport delivered and in the mean time I was looking for accessories to buy for the car. It was at this point of time I came to know about the 3M nomad mats. When I enquired at the nearest 3M store they quoted more than Rs. 6000 for the Ecosport and it was definitely beyond my budget for floor mats. Then I came across a thread in a an automotive forum and planned to do the same for my Ecosport.

The Materials Required:

Noodle mats:

The options that were available in Chennai were

1) Durasoft noodle mats (Rs. 100/sq.ft) and
2) Softurf noodle mats (Rs. 60/sq.ft).

Since the Durasoft one is known to have more life and is thicker than the softurf decided to go for it. The mats are available in different colours (Black, Grey, Maroon, Red, Green, Blue) but I chose black.

I bought it from Jay Bharathi enterprises in GP Road. It is located to the right as you enter the road just opposite to the clock tower.

Measured the floor under each seat of the Ecosport separately. So it totalled to 16 square feet in total. So it cost me Rs. 1600 (Rs.100/sq.ft * 16sq.ft)

fLOOR mAT.jpg

Blade:

Bought the blade to cut the mat from the nearby hardware store for Rs.10/-

Newpaper, Scissors & sketch pen:

The newspaper is first used to get the exact shape of the floor. The Scissors is used to cut the newspaper in the required shape and the sketch pen to trace the lines in the mats if required.

The Process:

Using the newspaper the shape of the floor under each seat was traced and the newspaper was cut to the shape of the floor. While tracing the shape, the upper side of the paper (facing you) and the bottom side of the paper (Facing the floor) should be marked with the sketch appropriately. Once that was done, place the mat with the bottom side facing you. Place the paper above the mat with its bottom side facing you as well.

Note: Since the paper is kept above the bottom side of the mat, the botton side of the paper should face you else the mat will be cut in the wrong way. Refer the pic below.

013 Floor Mat1.jpg

Cut the mat in shape of the newspaper.

013 Floor Mat1a.jpg

Cut all the mats and your work is 90% done. Then place the mats in the car and do the fine tunings by triming the sides if required by the scissors. Additional cuts to suit the floor of the car can be done now.

013 Floor Mat1b.jpg

013 Floor Mat2.jpg

013 Floor Mat3.jpg

013 Floor Mat3a.jpg

013 Floor Mat3b.jpg

Please note: The only place that we need to carefully deal with is the mat under the drivers seat. We need to carefully cut the portion under the pedals so that it does not interfere with the use of any of the pedals. For some cars, the accelerator pedal will get stuck with the floor mats if there is a gap below the pedal as I have left below. But for Ecosport, I did it with purpose after checking. But my suggestion for other cars will be to cut the mat to the full length and then based on the fittment you can cut it to shape. If the accelerator pedal is too low, then I suggest you cover the portion below it as well without cutting it to shape as I have done.
013 Floor Mat3c.jpg

The centre portion of the mat needs to be tucked under the rear left and rear right mats so that it does not keep moving.

013 Floor Mat3d.jpg

013 Floor Mat3da.jpg

013 Floor Mat4.jpg

013 Floor Mat5.jpg

013 Floor Mat5a.jpg

013 Floor Mat5b.jpg

And thats it, you are done with the floor mats for Rs.1600/-

For the boot, since I dont want to go for a heavy mat, I have chosen a carpet type mat that costs Rs. 12 / sqft. I will be posting the pics for the boot mats soon as I am yet to cut it into shape. Also a review on my ride will be posted shortly.

Last edited:
Thanks Jude for starting this thread. It will be really helpful for all. As Jude had mentioned, I too have similar kind of noodle mats but a bit harder (this is some new model to hit the market as per the shop guys). The biggest mistake I did was take the OE mat for measurement. Works fine for other sections, but please make a note on the driver side. There will be a small gap below the accelerator pedal. Since my mats are hard, the accelerator pedal gets stuck at times when the mats shift positions. It works fine at the default position but after rigorous usage they tend to shift their position and this is when the pedal gets stuck. Happened to me twice. So guys, when you take OE mats for measurement, please make a note on the driver side and add the mat below the accelerator pedal.

Here's my mat for reference.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...m-owners-log-beauty-beast-20131012_114731.jpg

Note the gap below the pedal. This is the default position and it works fine.

Hi Jude

First of all, it looks really neat. You did a great job with the measurement and cutting. Can't spot even one ill-fitting piece.

Now, a question: Was there any reason why you didn't use a single piece for the rear? Also,why is the rear right side mat wider (25") than the left (23")?

Thanks

Neat DIY. [clap]

Will follow the same for my Linea too. Right now my car has universal mats. For the front it does the job well, but the rear is quite annoying. Universal mats just slip below the driver seat.

Got some interesting job for this weekend.

I had done this for my 800 2 years before. it is perfect on the front seats, But for the rear seat, i cut it as a single piece.it will still move forward and position change when people enter the back seat. it started to torn from where we cut it for front seat slider.

This is good to reduce the dust flying in the car.

Thread Starter #11
Hi Jude

First of all, it looks really neat. You did a great job with the measurement and cutting. Can't spot even one ill-fitting piece.

Now, a question: Was there any reason why you didn't use a single piece for the rear? Also,why is the rear right side mat wider (25") than the left (23")?

Thanks
Thanks buddy. Well I think I should have been more specific about the dimensions. Actually for all the mats the length is greater than the width. But to fit all the mats into the 4 x 4 dimension why I did was to arrange the rear mats horizontally and the front mats vertically in the square. This was done ensure optimum utilisation of the mat. So to answer your second Q 23 and 25 are actually lengths of the rear mats and 20 is their width.

For the first Q, there are 3 reasons
1. If you have to use one single piece there will be more wastage and thus require a bigger dimension. This increases cost as well.
2 it is difficult to cover the entire length of the space under the front seats and also to get the best fit.
3. It is easier to take the mats out and clean if the rear mat is of 3 pieces. To take out clean and to put back a single piece of mat for the rear is more difficult and will have to be done carefully.

It was a long wait of 3 1/2 months to get my Ecosport delivered and in the mean time I was looking for accessories to buy for the car. It was at this point of time I came to know about the 3M nomad mats. When I enquired at the nearest 3M store they quoted more than Rs. 6000 for the Ecosport and it was definitely beyond my budget for floor mats. Then I came across a thread in a an automotive forum and planned to do the same for my Ecosport.

The Materials Required:

Noodle mats:

The options that were available in Chennai were

1) Durasoft noodle mats (Rs. 100/sq.ft) and
2) Softurf noodle mats (Rs. 60/sq.ft).

Since the Durasoft one is known to have more life and is thicker than the softurf decided to go for it. The mats are available in different colours (Black, Grey, Maroon, Red, Green, Blue) but I chose black.

I bought it from Jay Bharathi enterprises in GP Road. It is located to the right as you enter the road just opposite to the clock tower.

The centre portion of the mat needs to be tucked under the rear left and rear right mats so that it does not keep moving.
Jude, perfect Job. Detailed review. What ever Doubt I had about this noodle mat is cleared in your post. Where to get, and the location of shop etc.

And also I got the point you are talking about the center portion in rear seat but little bit confused. If possible just post a pic only with center portion of noodle mat (without the right and left one) so that I will get some more idea.

Really appreciate your work.

And also thank you once again for mentioning the shop name. I was desperately searching for it. Just give me a hint in which sizes it is available and what is the total cost.

Neat DIY. [clap]

Will follow the same for my Linea too. Right now my car has universal mats. For the front it does the job well, but the rear is quite annoying. Universal mats just slip below the driver seat.

Got some interesting job for this weekend.
Even I have this problem. But I was thinking till date that culprit was my son who pushes the mat inside the front seat.

Last edited:
Great Job Jude! The one I have been contemplating for a while and stuck between Vinyl Flooring and Noodle Mat. Surely not 3M Nomad as it's price is unjustified for it's purpose.

I took the same calculation (16 Sq. Ft) for my Figo too, and same color (Black) as well complimenting the interiors. Hope to do it soon.

BTW, why didn't you choose to do do a single mat for the rear including the center portion? That would have made it even more neat with no worries of slippage. Or had you thought of any challenges of doing it that way?

jude, just one question. can we get the mats in the measurements we want (like how we take our shirting and suiting where width is constant and length we can take as we like as 1 mtr or 1.5 mtrs ) or it is predefined size?

Thread Starter #15
Jude, perfect Job. Detailed review. What ever Doubt I had about this noodle mat is cleared in your post. Where to get, and the location of shop etc.

And also I got the point you are talking about the center portion in rear seat but little bit confused. If possible just post a pic only with center portion of noodle mat (without the right and left one) so that I will get some more idea.

Really appreciate your work.

And also thank you once again for mentioning the shop name. I was desperately searching for it. Just give me a hint in which sizes it is available and what is the total cost.

Even I have this problem. But I was thinking till date that culprit was my son who pushes the mat inside the front seat.
I will post the pics of the rear one soon. Had a helluva week and stretched in office till 4 am today morning. Will try to post it tomorrow

Great Job Jude! The one I have been contemplating for a while and stuck between Vinyl Flooring and Noodle Mat. Surely not 3M Nomad as it's price is unjustified for it's purpose.

I took the same calculation (16 Sq. Ft) for my Figo too, and same color (Black) as well complimenting the interiors. Hope to do it soon.

BTW, why didn't you choose to do do a single mat for the rear including the center portion? That would have made it even more neat with no worries of slippage. Or had you thought of any challenges of doing it that way?
Yes. I did think of one single rear piece but didnt want to do it for the reasons below.

1. If you have to use one single piece there will be more wastage and thus require a bigger dimension. This increases cost as well.

2 it is difficult to cover the entire length of the space under the front seats and also to get the best fit. The reason is that these mats are available in two width options 2 feet and 4 feet. So if you take the 2 feet width roll and (for example) take 4 feet as the width of the rear portion, you will have to use a 48 inch by 24 inch piece of mat. If the hieght of the mat required to fit the rear is more than 24 inches this will not fit well. again as I said you will lose a bit of mat while you cut the centre portion. Having said that, this could be fine with another car (not an ecosport as in my case) if 24 inches is more than enough. Also you have to be extra careful when you trace the cuts using paper

3. It is easier to take the mats out and clean if the rear mat is of 3 pieces. To take out clean and to put back a single piece of mat for the rear is more difficult and will have to be done carefully.

But in your case for a Figo, you can try a single piece for the rear if you can take care of point 2. Point 3 is more in a convenience perspective.

jude, just one question. can we get the mats in the measurements we want (like how we take our shirting and suiting where width is constant and length we can take as we like as 1 mtr or 1.5 mtrs ) or it is predefined size?
Yes. The mats are available in two width of rolls. 2 & 4 feet. I took the four feet width so that I can optimize the use. You can choose your own length.

Top Bottom