DIY 2-Wheeler / Bike LED DRL

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
DIY 2-Wheeler/Bike LED DRL

Hello There!

Safety is the Key point on today's Overcrowded & Messy roads. 2-Wheelers are small enough to miss in Rear view mirrors or get shadowed among other traffic. Unfortunately, not having many safety features like Airbags, ABS, Collision prevention etc makes these worse.

One Simple way to make your scooter/Bike safer is to increase Conspicuity, That means "Being seen"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/conspicuity

Today I will Guide you to add Simple DIY LED DRLs on your scooter or Bike or any kind of 2-wheeler in a simple & Cost effective manner. There is no wire cutting and warranty shall be preserved.

Materials-

1>5050 or 5730 LED Strips (Waterproof). I recommend using white ones only

2> Engine start or DRL sensor

Tools-

1> Soldering Kit

2>Glue Gun

3> 3M automotive adhesive tape

4> Regular tools like screw drivers, Plliers, Cutters etc

5> User & service manual for your vehicle.

6> Multi Meter.

7> Some Copper wire.

1> Sit & Think. As every vehicle is Unique, you shall have to plan it how & where to install the DRLs. In my Scoot, I just put them upfront making an Attractive 'V' Shape that Looks great as well as highlights the width of vehicle.

2> Refer to your Vehicles User/Service Manual for instructions on How the Gain access to the battery & other parts. Refer to a reputed Mechanic if you are not comfortable with it yourself.

3> Connect the DRL sensor. This is just too easy. The Wires from DRL sensor Directly go to the battery terminals. No need to splice any Factory or Headlight wiring. The sensor works by studying the voltage pattern of the battery. Once the engine is started & Alternator kicks in, The Sensor starts forwarding power to DRLs. When the Vehicle is turned off, Sensor goes off. Very simple.

4> Prepare the LED DRLs. Solder enough length of wire to get to the sensor. It's also recommened to have an Inline fuse. My DRL sensor came with fuse Inbult. Route the wire so that they're out of sight as well as safe. Make sure that Wires will not get caught among any moving or rubbing parts.

5> Stick the LED strips at your desired location. I have used 3m 2 sided tape. DO NOT trust the adhesive backing of LED strips. Its just not good.

6> Connect the LED wires to DRL sensor and test! Make sure everything works as intended before sealing the vehicle. Take a spin and check operation on Bad roads as well as at different speeds.

Sit back & Admire or Just go for a spin!

Your Scoot is not just safer but looks eye catching as well. Please post your comments & Pics in section below.

More Details-

Re: DIY 2-Wheeler/Bike LED DRL

Hello There!

Safety is the Key point on today's Overcrowded & Messy roads. 2-Wheelers are small enough to miss in Rear view mirrors or get shadowed among other traffic. Unfortunately, not having many safety features like Airbags, ABS, Collision prevention etc makes these worse.

One Simple way to make your scooter/Bike safer is to increase Conspicuity, That means "Being seen"

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/conspicuity

Today I will Guide you to add Simple DIY LED DRLs on your scooter or Bike or any kind of 2-wheeler in a simple & Cost effective manner. There is no wire cutting and warranty shall be preserved.

Materials-

1>5050 or 5730 LED Strips (Waterproof). I recommend using white ones only

2> Engine start or DRL sensor

Tools-

1> Soldering Kit

2>Glue Gun

3> 3M automotive adhesive tape

4> Regular tools like screw drivers, Plliers, Cutters etc

5> User & service manual for your vehicle.

6> Multi Meter.

7> Some Copper wire.

1> Sit & Think. As every vehicle is Unique, you shall have to plan it how & where to install the DRLs. In my Scoot, I just put them upfront making an Attractive 'V' Shape that Looks great as well as highlights the width of vehicle.

2> Refer to your Vehicles User/Service Manual for instructions on How the Gain access to the battery & other parts. Refer to a reputed Mechanic if you are not comfortable with it yourself.

3> Connect the DRL sensor. This is just too easy. The Wires from DRL sensor Directly go to the battery terminals. No need to splice any Factory or Headlight wiring. The sensor works by studying the voltage pattern of the battery. Once the engine is started & Alternator kicks in, The Sensor starts forwarding power to DRLs. When the Vehicle is turned off, Sensor goes off. Very simple.

4> Prepare the LED DRLs. Solder enough length of wire to get to the sensor. It's also recommened to have an Inline fuse. My DRL sensor came with fuse Inbult. Route the wire so that they're out of sight as well as safe. Make sure that Wires will not get caught among any moving or rubbing parts.

5> Stick the LED strips at your desired location. I have used 3m 2 sided tape. DO NOT trust the adhesive backing of LED strips. Its just not good.

6> Connect the LED wires to DRL sensor and test! Make sure everything works as intended before sealing the vehicle. Take a spin and check operation on Bad roads as well as at different speeds.

Sit back & Admire or Just go for a spin!

Your Scoot is not just safer but looks eye catching as well. Please post your comments & Pics in section below.

More Details-
Super DIY @bhvm, your meticulous point by point detailing and explanation is kabile tariff

A price breakup of the setup will do good for others.

Regards

Vinod

Thread Starter #4

bhvm

Honoured Member

Top Bottom