DIY 14in Alloy Wheel Hub Cap

Thread Starter #1
AAAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHH[frustration]

That's how you feel when the hub cap of your new, shiny alloy wheel goes missing. All efforts to locate it go vain and there's just no point in scourging the market for a new one since "sorry saar it ij naat availabal. Pleej buy a nieu allay bheel."

Same thing had happened with me and I was like this for many days:
2013-03-17 12.00.23.jpg

Couldn't locate a new/used/scrap hub cap so decided to fabricate a new one. As Rabindranath Tagore said: "Jobe tore dak shune keu na aashe tobey ekla chalo re" (when no one comes to your call, you march alone).

Things needed
1. A Cherry Blossom shoe polish can.
2. Pliers/Cutter/Scissor.
3. Ruler.
4. Quick drying adhesive like Fevi Kwik.
5. Marker pen.
2013-03-17 12.11.24.jpg

6. Enfield Bullet. Because if you have one, you are sure to have all of this:
2013-03-17 12.08.42.jpg

7. Membership of The Automotive India. Heh Heh:biggrin:.

Step 1

Measure the diameter of the hub cap with the ruler.
2013-03-17 12.14.21.jpg

Step 2

Mark the diameter on the shiny side of the Cherry Blossom Shoe Polish lid. Since the inner circle of the Cherry Blossom Shoe Polish lid is exactly, and I mean EXACTLY 6 cm in diameter - which is exactly the same as the diameter of the hub cap of a 14 inch alloy wheel, you could be spared the agony of cursing yourself for not paying attention in the geometry class during your school days.

Step 3

Use the cutter/pliers to cut through the rim of the Cherry Blossom Shoe Polish lid.

Step 4

Use the scissor to cut the lid in a perfect circle following the inner circle mark (that is already present on the lid).
2013-03-17 12.20.58.jpg

Step 5

Now that you have a perfect 6cm diameter metal plate, all that remains is to stick it in place of the missing hub cap. Clean the inner part of the hub with a piece of cloth, apply some Fevi Kwick along its circumference and gently put the metal cap there. Take care not to apply too much Fevi Kwik as it would then drip and leave a permanent scar on your shiny alloy wheel. Much better to apply Fevi Kwik carefully than to rename your alloy wheel Al Pacino.

Step 6

Ta Da!! Wipe off the surface gently with a clean cloth and praise Vibhor Tyagi that he started TAI[clap]

2013-03-17 12.19.47.jpg

The result may not look too neat but believe me its impossible to make out the difference from a distance and having this is anyday better than having a hole in the middle of your alloy wheel.

And how long does this adhesive last? Well, I have covered almost 30000 kms on all kinds of roads but the metal lid hasn't fallen off even once. One would do well not to pressure wash the alloy wheel, though.

Last edited:
Neatly executed ! A creative idea indeed.

Why not paint it to have a better look ? Are those stock lug nuts ? In my 800 the stock ones wont fit in.

Thread Starter #3
You may paint it or do n number of thingummies Varun - the possibilities are limited only by one's creative streak.

Yup. Stock lug nuts.

Stock lug nuts won't fit on what?? Your alloys? Anyways, your lil' sweetie looks too chweeeeet to need all this.

Nice and useful DIY with very simple procedure. If you painted that or use logo sticker on that it'll look more like original.
Thanks for DIY [:)]

Haha I love your creativity man!

Suspicious coincidence that the Cherry polish lid is the exact same size as the hubcap though! [;)] [surprise]

Top Bottom