Dilemma in Selection of Compact SUV

Thread Starter #1
Hello Esteemed Petrolheads,

Currently I'm driving Honda Brio SMT. Its a good car, amazing ivtec engine, great comfort and and handling capabilities. However, the only disadvantage is a very small boot-space. And I require quite a decent boot-space for my tours. So, I felt the necessity to buy a compact SUV.
I've shortlisted 2 mid range compact SUVs.
1. Honda WRV - Though a bit of a hatch, in terms of looks, I personally think it is very stylish. Trusted Honda engine.
2. Mahindra XUV 300 - Value for money. A proper SUV-ish look.
For me the following things are important.
1. Should be good to drive in city as well as highway drives.
2. Good engine. (I heard from many users that the XUV 300 has a problematic clutch. You need to raise your feet too much release.)
3. Should look good. Though I understand that's a very vague statement.
4. Decent boot-space.
I'd request all to provide me with the required suggestions/ advice/ opinions from all the petrolheads of the forum. Thanks in advance.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I feel Eco-Sport is also a good option to consider. The Dragon engine in my experience is reasonably good or if you are looking for a diesel engine then 1.5L Revtorq Nexon is a good deal too. I have a diesel Nexon for last 1 year and as far as drive is concerned the car has performed well. Yes there have been quality issues in it but driving it is still good. The engine performs well to my expectations. Adding to that, it is the safest car of India. Look wise both Eco-Sport and Nexon are good and the interiors feel inviting. If you can also share your budget, it would be easy to suggest you the right variant too. As far XUV-300 is concerned, that's too a damn good looking C-SUV. I suggest you take a longish Test Drive and check the clutch behavior. Coming to WR-V, personally I did not find anything SUV-ish in it. It is built on same Jazz platform and really doesn't justify the C-SUV tag for me. Instead of WR-V why not consider Venue? Just like Honda, Hyundai's engines are proven to. I had owned 1.5 I-Vtec for 6.5 years it is indeed good and fuss free but somehow the WR-V doesn't ring a bell in me. Test drive the Venue as well.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #3
I feel Eco-Sport is also a good option to consider. The Dragon engine in my experience is reasonably good or if you are looking for a diesel engine then 1.5L Revtorq Nexon is a good deal too. I have a diesel Nexon for last 1 year and as far as drive is concerned the car has performed well. Yes there have been quality issues in it but driving it is still good. The engine performs well to my expectations. Adding to that, it is the safest car of India. Look wise both Eco-Sport and Nexon are good and the interiors feel inviting. If you can also share your budget, it would be easy to suggest you the right variant too. As far XUV-300 is concerned, that's too a damn good looking C-SUV. I suggest you take a longish Test Drive and check the clutch behavior. Coming to WR-V, personally I did not find anything SUV-ish in it. It is built on same Jazz platform and really doesn't justify the C-SUV tag for me. Instead of WR-V why not consider Venue? Just like Honda, Hyundai's engines are proven to. I had owned 1.5 I-Vtec for 6.5 years it is indeed good and fuss free but somehow the WR-V doesn't ring a bell in me. Test drive the Venue as well.

Regards

Akash
Thanks a lot Akash! I'll definitely look have a look at the Ecosport. Somehow went out of my mine. My bad!
As asked by you, my budjet would me around 8L to 11L.

Would suggest you on Nexon as well.

Among your list of requirements, you seem to have missed on Safety aspect of it. :)
Advocating on behalf of Nexon,
1. 5 star safety rating no other Indian made car for India have made it.
2. Big boot space
3. Nicely loaded with all necessary blings with awesome ICE
4. Looks great.
5. Has a great ride and comfort and handling on city road and highways.
6. Spacious inside as well.

Thread Starter #6
Based on the budget, my 3 choices would be Nexon, Eco Sport & Venue. But, If you are a bit off-Tata w.r.t Quality issues or ASC issues then I'll suggest, XUV 3OO.

Regards
Akash
Thanks Akash! I'll definitely do a TD for Ecosport. However, though XUV300 has got a great SUV-ish look, the GC & boot space are more in WRV in comparison to XUV 300! Anyway, Ecosport should be a hands down clear winner in any sub compact SUV comparison.

Top Bottom