Dilemma For Off-Road Buddy: Modifying Safari Storme or New Thar or Gurkha?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Friends,

A post after a very long time and I am here again as I think this is the best place to get clarity on the question I have in my mind. The off-roading bug has bitten me again as the streets of the place where I live is full of Jeeps like Cherokee, Sahara and Rubicon. I want to revive my interests in off-roading and now I have few a questions in mind before which I pick the better side of my personality to explore the unexplored.

Here are the things which are on my mind:

1) I currently own a Storme 4X4, the car is fantastic and i have taken it to places where very few Jeeps survive. From frozen roads of Himalayas to the dunes of Rajasthan. The car is in stock condition and I never got stuck in a way that required any kind of towing. Most of the time, some amount of digging, adding aids for traction(read rubber mats, wooden logs and stones) pulled the Storme out of sticky situations. Now I want to go further and sometimes feels that long overhangs, weak bumpers(for off road), Ground Clearance and the sheer weight of the car define its limit and i want to cross it. So, is it worthy to add some mods to tackle ground clearance, front and rear bumpers and under body protection and make it much more off-road worthy. Also, how much money I need to shed for the same.

2) Second thought is, do not mess with Strorme and buy a new THAR. This will help me to do more in terms of a stock vehicle. But again, how much more I need to spend on making it a comfortable and good off-road/ daily commute vehicle. In this case mods like Hardtop, tires, roll bars and brakes needs to be taken care off and what would be the cost if I go with all of them.

3) Or, a Gurkha. Have not seen this on road and not sure about its reliability, but other than Thar it is the only option.

I need to get some clarity and current owners of the above/ gurus can help me to reach a decision. Looking forward to the the help of fellow members.

Thanks,
Slushmaster

Last edited:
Re: Dilemma for off-road buddy-> Modifying Safari Storme or a new Thar or Gurkha

safari strome is not a hard core off roader. It can do slushes, muds gravel and some steep climbing. Also the electric transfer switch is placed way too low and chance of malfuction is very high.

the sheer weight of the suv is the enemy when it comes off offroading in a safari. removal of bumpers will not improve approach or depature angle by a huge margin. My freind owns a 3l dicor. he has raised the gc to 220( it's his claim). he went for monroe front schocks and suspension kits. i heard it costs about 32k for front and 30 for rear.

thar is a good option. but i would suggest a gypsy. modify and play with it. gurkha is a level above thar.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Dilemma for off-road buddy-> Modifying Safari Storme or a new Thar or Gurkha

Thanks for your reply Pravin1987!! Do you have experience with Gurkha like ride quality, braking reliability, aftersales etc. do we have people on this forum who owns the latest Avatar of Gurkha? I am bit skeptic about its after sales service and reliability.

Thanks,
Slushmaster

Gurkha has poor ride quality, not for long rides and apart from that car feels underpowered at highway speeds. service depends on local showrooms.

bhvm

Honoured Member

Slush, I am in very thoughts as you.
Subscribed to the thread and watching it closely. 4x4 bug has bitten me hard and my hands are itching.

First suggestion comes to mind is getting a lift kit for safari, Winch and LED lightbars. I am sure safari is capable enough to not let you miss Thar/ Gurkha. These are crude toys and where safari wins is smooth, Planted ride.
OTR meet 800 KM away? No Problem.

It has to be Thar, Safari js too bulky and not as capable too. Gurkha is underpowered, good off the road though.

Since Thar has now got a rear locker and has a potent engine too, it's overall better as a package and hence thar.

Thread Starter #7

Slush, I am in very thoughts as you.
Subscribed to the thread and watching it closely. 4x4 bug has bitten me hard and my hands are itching.

First suggestion comes to mind is getting a lift kit for safari, Winch and LED lightbars. I am sure safari is capable enough to not let you miss Thar/ Gurkha. These are crude toys and where safari wins is smooth, Planted ride.
OTR meet 800 KM away? No Problem.
Hi bhvm, thanks for your inputs. Any idea what would be the cost of these additions. Also, any mechanics in gurgaon or NCR who can tackle this job. Its rare to see a modified storme and that too for off-roading.

Any idea about the difference in Red color of pre and post 2015 face lifted THAR. It is really attractive and if the cost of modifying storme is high, I will go for this red devil...

bhvm

Honoured Member
Hello Back, Slush,
Thar would be a proper Off roader. No- Nonsese.
Safari would be a mix of comfort and Off-road. Find TSK1979 on Youtube. He did some nice excursions with his white elephant. Just get better tyres, Tyre chains, Maxxtrax,and you'd be surprised how much a stock safari can do.

I am not too sure on costs, Roughly-
Suspension with lift- 35~60K
LED light bar- 10k
Winch- 40k
Extra battery 7~8k (With Battery Balancer)
MT tyres -60~70k

I do not have any links in NCR.

Ps- There used to be safari storme Explorer edition. They used roof tent, Custom Bumpers etc. I am not finding the links. I am NOT talking about explorer one with just compass type stickers. This one was a neat mod.

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear buddy,

I am the last person to be writing or speaking about Off-Road driving. It has somehow left me untouched. Off-road driving was never and isn't still my cup of coffee[:D]. But with my limited knowledge I can say, if you want to modify a Safari Storme then try doing it as shown below.

20160205_162309.jpg

20160205_162318.jpg

Apart from this, I am sure THAR is a viable option to choose and for modification, restoring another gentleman who can guide you is Mr. Uday Bhan Singh. He is an institution in himself when it comes to Jeeps. Also, give a thought to TATA's Xenon as it also looks quite good as a off-road vehicle.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #10
Thanks Aksah 1886 for posting the pics of this mean looking safari. If I can source such a bumper, add a lift kit and High strength skid plates or underbody protection to my Storme, I would be very happy [cry]. I know where to look for Skid plates fabrication, but not sure who can provide a Bumper with a winch mechanism like above. Tata folks are clueless about these things and don't entertain any correspondence on this piece.

A request to fellow members, any place from where I can source the above bumper cost effectively. I do not want to spend only 150K on bumper and winch[:)]. Please let me know and thanks in advance.

Also, if i go for a THAR, yes a red THAR [:D], I would want to keep it in stock condition with just changes to tires and adding a heavy duty front bumper. Any Idea on the costing of that. I think I am already getting into the mode of figuring out cost-benefit analysis and I am afraid that ultimately I have to pay a huge cost for this cost-benefit analysis :)..

On a separate note, are their forum members active on off-roading front in NCR. Would love to join from October onward.

Top Bottom