Different Types of Car Sunroofs - Explained

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
For all of those car accessory freaks out there – if somebody questions what would be the coolest and useful add-on to spice a normal car. Then most certainly, sun roof would be one of the first items that will immediately click to your mind. And why not? After all, having a sun roof in your car is itself a big style-statement and also offers you a feel of driving no less than a semi-convertible car, because just similar to alloy wheels, the sunroof has a prospering marketing which is yet to spread out more in India.

Infact, automobile manufacturers have so well understood the craze of buyers towards the sunroofs that they have started offering them as feature already. For example: Hyundai hatchbacks, namely, i10 and i20 and Skoda Fabia have it as standard equipment on their top-end variants. Now, when a buyer moves out in the market for hunting the sunroof – He will be only left amazed with the variety of them available in different shapes, styles, sizes and colors. Thus, it’s important to learn at least some basic information about them so that you can confidently survey and select one that suits perfectly well for your needs. Read on.

Main Types of Sunroofs:

• Glass Sunroofs

• Fabric Sunroofs

Thread Starter #2

350Z

Core Team
Re: Different Types of Car Sunroofs – Explained

The Glass Sunroofs

• Pop up Type: The most cheapest and basic version of sunroofs available in the market includes pop-up type. These sunroofs have complete manually operated glass that pops out when sunroof is in open position. Also usually the glass in pop-up type sunroofs can be entirely removed too, so that one can enjoy the complete excitement as of built-in type sunroofs.
popup.jpg

• Built-in Type: Their name says it all. The built-in type are very common and popular variant of sunroofs which auto-manufacturers mostly prefer providing in their cars. An in-built sunroof is fully automatic and slides in between the car's roof when opened. These are one of the expensive sunroofs around and may also offer some bonus functions such as sun shade, auto-close, vents etc. (Seen in Skoda Octavia RS / L&K)
builtin.jpg

• Tilt 'n Slide Type: Also known as spoiler type, this sunroof provides a combination of sliding inside and popping out for ventilation. This also explains the reason behind it's name "tilt 'n slide". The cars with short roof size have this sunroof installed, for example: Earlier generation Honda Preludes had this as standard. I have personally operated one and this would be my most definite pick.
tilt-n-slide.jpg

• Top Mount Type: The major advantage of top-mount type sunroofs is that they help saving in headroom, because this sunroof operates on the rails located on top of the vehicle's roof. They usually come equipped with wind deflector to prevent the unwanted noise of wind at high speeds. Many of us must have observed this type of sunroofs installed on Toyota Prado in India.
topmount.jpg

• Panoramic Type: The panoramic sunroofs count in the league of costliest sunroofs available. They have a couple of parts (front and rear) and cover a much larger area of roof in comparison to any other sunroof listed above. Also consequently providing more roominess and freshness inside the car. These kind of sunroofs are offered as standard equipment in high-end luxury cars like Mercedes Benz and BMWs.
panoramic.jpg

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team

The Fabric Sunroofs

• Fold-able Type: Look-wise, these have old style design and are traditionally known as European type sunroofs, which are made up of rich quality fabric (Read vinyl) and open wider than any glass sunroof, thus making the overall experience much pleasurable and close to driving a convertible car.
folding.jpg

• Removable Type: Not exactly the sunroof, but thanks to Porsche - the removable type roof panels gained popularity in no time. The idea behind them is simple, the roof is partitioned into two halves (Driver side and Co-Driver side). Both the panels above them can be separately removed, ultimately this forms a T-shape - that is why these roof types are also known as T-Type roofs.
removable.jpg

Thread Starter #4

350Z

Core Team

Frequently Asked Questions

* What is so good about installing a sunroof?

- Brings additional driving pleasure.
- Provides fun of driving a semi-convertible.
- Allows direct flow of natural light and air inside.
- Enhances the appearance of car to another level.

* What is not so good about installing a sunroof?

- Prone to leakages - if improperly installed.
- Improper installation can also increase rattles.
- Theft Prone. Might welcome evil eyes at certain places.
- Most sunroofs (Except mount-type) can reduce headroom.

* How do I know if sunroof can be installed on my car?
Typically a sunroof / moonroof can be installed in almost any normal car. (Includes body type: Hatchback, Sedan, SUV and more)

* What is the difference between Sunroof and Moonroof?
Perhaps the most commonly asked question by many. Practically, nowadays there is no difference as such between Sunroof and Moonroof. Just that, a sunroof is meant to be fully operable panel that allows sunlight to enter directly inside the car whereas the Moonroof is supposed have a covered glass panel (Like built-in type sunroofs).

* Can installing a sunroof void my new car's actual warranty?
Yes. Installing a sunroof might void original warranty of your car. However, it's better to re-confirm with you car manufacturer if some other variant of your car comes equipped with one already.

* How much do I expect to shell out to install a sunroof?
The best part is that, the cost of sunroof can easily be accommodated in almost all budgets. Generally the prices of branded sunroof in India starts from anywhere Rs.10,000 and ranges as big as up to Rs.80,000 +.

* Which are reliable companies offering sunroof in India?
The most trusted and reputed manufacturers in the sunroof business includes Webasto and Inalfa.

Disclaimer:

• Installing the sunroof is not a game of amateurs. We highly recommend to get your sunroof installed from company authorized workshops only.
  • For clear idea about various sunroof designs, prices etc. Please visit your nearest dealership.
  • All the photographs have been sourced from Google Images. Copyright respective owners.
  • This article is a property of The Automotive India (c) 2011. Please do NOT copy without prior written permission of the author.

Beautifully written article 350Z .Lots of information. most of them(like removable,etc) were unknown to me.Thanks a lot 370z.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicely written, Many unknown facts 350z . Thanks again 350z.

@point_city96, Nice signature there man , Was told by Henry Ford about his "T" car . to make it the first mass produced car.

Very informative article 350Z[thumbsup].
The major player of this business is Webasto. I was very much interested in getting a sunroof for my Indigo a few years back for which i was quoted Rs.18000/- by an workshop. The costs involved made me rethink about my plans which were finally scrapped off.

Thread Starter #10

350Z

Core Team
Beautifully written article 350Z .Lots of information. most of them(like removable,etc) were unknown to me.Thanks a lot 370z.
Nicely written, Many unknown facts 350z . Thanks again 350z.
Thanks!

Very informative article 350Z. The major player of this business is Webasto. I was very much interested in getting a sunroof for my Indigo a few years back for which i was quoted Rs.18000/- by an workshop. The costs involved made me rethink about my plans which were finally scrapped off.
Thanks Akash. In fact the sunroof bug bite me too a few years ago when I saw a Maruti Zen with sunroof. That’s when my car was new and I wanted to make it a looker. The webasto dealer quoted me somewhere around Rs.9,000 – Rs.10,000 but eventually – realized that it wasn’t really worth installing on this car.

Drive Safe,
350Z

2 years back when we were getting ourself the swift,there was sunroof(double and single) in accesories list.I think it costed 25 k(electric) and its not suitable for my place(frequent monsoon).So i decide not o get it because for that money i could get alloys or wider rubber.What i've heard is that even company manufacture(eg:skoda) is having drainage problem during monsoons.

Top Bottom