Different sets of tires front and rear.

Thread Starter #1
My City ZX is closed to completing a 40K and is time as well for me to change the tyres. After bit of my initial information gathering, I have decided in-between, Yokomoha A drive/ Potenza GIII or Michelin XM1+.

The Factory fitted tyres comes with the code size of 175/65 R14 (Tubeless), now I want to up size it to 185/65/14 or 195/60/14 having in mind not to hamper with the rim diameter. [As I was told that it might cause suspension and other problems in the future]

Now my question is: I want to get 2 sets of different tyres different brands for front and back.
Front Tyres: Yokohoma A-drive
Rear Tyres: Potenza GIII or Michelin XM1+

By doing so will it hamper
1. Safety of the car
2. Will that affect the body balance or cause any other aerodynamics problem in the future ??
3. Additional Wear and tear apart from the regular ones because of such combination ?
4. Mileage [As I am not touching upon the Aspect ratio which is supposedly (Ratio of height to width) there should not be a huge drop, thought 1-2 kms/liter is considerable].

Thanks
Sudhan

Last edited:
You better go for Potenza G III's or Yokhohama A drive's on all the wheels. You will get an even grip and balance in performance. Why do you want to mix and mis-match the dynamics for no particular reason?
Its like wearing two different makes of sneakers on your legs,they both are sneakers but they will be an Achilles heel while jogging.
And usually people go for two different sets when they buy tyres in pairs for each axle, or maybe when they can't afford it or maybe when the same brand is not available.

I dont know why community members are comparing two different types of tyres here. First decide ur priority. performance or comfort? Yokohama A-drive & michilen XM1+ solely comfort tyres. Go for all same tyres in size 195/60-14. Its ok for a sedan & will work well.

Just for a curiosity can we have tubeless tyre in front and ordinary tyres in the back?[confused]
What kind of car are you referring to in the query? As sedan or a hatch?
And I have already mentioned about the cons of mixing two types of tubeless tyres.
If you still have to,I guess the tube type can be left at the rear.
I still dont advice doing this though.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Honda City ZX Vtec tyre change after 42K kilometer, all four of the same size. As of now it has the factory fitted Tyre code of 175/65 R14.
(just in case it was misleading to the conversation I had earlier in this post which was purely asked out of curiosity if someone in the forum had done like that seen someone do like that)

Want to upgrade it to 185/65 R14, but the Tyre showroom I went to was suggesting 195/60 R14 which I was kind of hesitant to look because it was huge.

1. Because of this hugeness would it not effect the dynamics of the vehicle ?
2. I know there is an expected mileage drop, hope that's true ? if so how much will be the drop ?
3. In which order would you rated the below tyres (best to average) and which Size 185/65 R14 or 195/60 R14
Yokomoha A drive, Potenza GIII, Michelin XM1+

Though the guy at the Tyre showroom seemed to be a big advocate of GIII.

Help please !!!

1.No it wont affect the dynamics of the vehicle.

2.Mileage drop will be very minimal , just around maybe 1kmpl.

I would suggest you stick to 185/65 R14. Because 195 section tyres wont look good in 14 inch wheels , they need 15inch alloys to enhance the looks. But no harm in going ahead with 195/60 R14 , i only felt it wont look good.

Thread Starter #10
Thanks Cooldaya, ∂נℓυν
1. Can you also list the order of preference in the above mentioned brand of tyres.
2. Does fitting an alloy give a mileage drop ?

@cooldaya, precisely I also felt same when I took a look at 195/60 R14 Tyre. huge base for a small wheel in the car. Trying to squeeze it in a smaller wheel base.
@∂נℓυν, amazed at that accurate figure. wonderful

Fitting alloys will increase the fe, in your case will compensate the fe drop caused by upsizing.

1. I prefer Yoko or Potenza. Michelin is also great but heard it wears out soon from other members here.

2. Actually the FE should increase slightly as alloys are lighter in weight than steel rims but expect only marginal gain. I am getting good FE in my Verna fitted with after-market alloys just like any other stock Verna. I agree with Akash on his views in your case FE will mostly remain the same.

@ Djluv AM amazed to see accurate figure? How do you calculate it?

Thread Starter #14
Thanks Akash for your input on FE on fitting alloys.

Thanks Vijay on your choices of tyres

thanks Cooldaya on your choices of tyres and sharing your experience on fitting alloys. seems like Yoko and Potenza seems to top the chart till now.

If you switch to alloys, go for the Honda Vtec wheels which look awesome on City. Also they are lighter than Neo and Aura. And last but not the least funky designs dont suit CityZX.

Top Bottom