Difference Between Vintage & Classic Cars?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
A layman would usually classify all the antique cars in a single category, but as you involve more and dig deeper, you will discover that not all of them are alike. Typically, the old cars are classified into two categories, namely Vintage and Classic. However, as the saying goes – Different people have different perceptions. There are many myths floating around regarding which models fall in which category. For example, in India, we consider the automobiles manufactured before the year 1940 as Vintage autos, and those that are built during the period of 1941 – 1960, as classics, others manufactured late in 1961 – 1970 are termed as recent classics. On the other hand, Vintage Car Club of America defines Vintages as the cars manufactured in 1919 to 1930, and as far as the classics are concerned, they are included in the period of up to 1948. Perhaps there is a no definite answer. The different websites I visit, the different answers I get, and it appears that this is more or less a debatable topic, which is why, I wanted to share with you all to discuss and find out if we can reach to an appropriate conclusion (?).

Drive Safe,
350Z

Till now i never knew that Vintage and classic cars are different![lol]

This is why i like TAI , i keep learning things here!

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
Till now i never knew that Vintage and classic cars are different! This is why i like TAI , i keep learning things here!
I am glad that my question turned out to be information for some. :smile:

vintage is anything which is old .

classic one have some unique quality or appeal which made it one of the best and forever.
That is not a brainer, but the point here is whether there is a common particular period from when the cars are counted as Vintage and Classic. Moreover, what I heard is that the value of such cars depends upon this factor as well.

Drive Safe,
350Z

i believe "particular period" is just a subject of debate or just pointless .lot of people would frown. if we, especially car enthusiasts declare periods.

vintage cars need not be classics, just to be old is enough for it.

60s-80s benz are truly classics but are not vintage. something so and so..i think it goes with the looks and visual aesthetics,,,

just an opinion...

Its not that simple. Let me try and explain.

Firstly, classification is done on the aspect of Pre-War and Post-War. This is basically pre or post 1945.

This is the simple part. All cars before 45 are classified as Vintage.

Classics are all cars from 1945 onwards. The end year for classifications depends on the country. In india, i believe it is 30 years, so any car pre 1980 is a classic. In the UK it is 25, so any car pre 1985 is a classic.

Similarly each country or each governing body for certain clubs had a certain cutoff .

Thread Starter #9

350Z

Core Team
Nice explanation, that clears up the confusion to an extent.

Drive Safe,
350Z

hey guys, you cleared my doubts even before asking! :lol!: i was also looking for this answer and finally found at TAI. kudos!

To me vintage is like old wine which will taste good but cost heavily and classic is something with classic or different looks.[music]

Well to tell you the truth I do not know the answer like many people around [lol]but your reasoning looks somewhat reasonable.

Keeping going

Thread Starter #12

350Z

Core Team
As to what I personally understand, Here's a short pictorial comparison between the design of a vintage and classic car.

Vintage Car
vintage_car_parts.02.jpg

Classic Car
1246341_f496.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

What Cyrus43 said about classic and vintage cars is correct but nowdays there has been lot of confusion between what to call a classic and what not to call a classic especially for cars with long production history like Mercedes Benz R107 or Ford Capri.So what some people are suggesting is that to divide classic cars into classic cars and modern classic cars in that way our very own Maruti 800 ( SS80) qualifes as a modern classic car in our country

What Cyrus43 said about classic and vintage cars is correct but nowdays there has been lot of confusion between what to call a classic and what not to call a classic especially for cars with long production history like Mercedes Benz R107 or Ford Capri.So what some people are suggesting is that to divide classic cars into classic cars and modern classic cars in that way our very own Maruti 800 ( SS80) qualifes as a modern classic car in our country
Nice information CORTINA.

:offtopic:what is the meaning of cortina !

Top Bottom