Difference Between BS-3 and BS-4 Models

Re: Difference Between BS3 and BS4 Models

Now few facts about theft of catalytic converter:

1) The catalytic converter is a block covered in tin , it is fitted in the exaust system (pipe) near the engine. can be cut off with a small saw at its ends.

2) Vehicles with higher ground clearance (Suv, truck, mpv) are more prone for the theft, as it is easy for thief to get under it.

3) Vehicles with low GC are taken care of with a jack.

4) Since it contains platinum, gold, the thief doesn't suffer from depreciation.

5) In western countries, separate laws are demanded to curb this theft. Till then their authorities have adviced the vehicle owners to park them in well lit areas.[:D]

6) How do you detect that your catalytic converter?
The Smooth/silent engine of car starts making loud noise , and smoke from undebody, If you try to run the car it suffers from considerable power loss.Only legal solution is to replace the catalytic converter.

7) Ilegal solution is to replace the cut part of the exaust system with a piece of tin pipe, then get the engine retuned like an Euro 3 car. But this is punishable by law.

Do you think the INDIAN police and authorities are competent enough to handle this?

Attachments

Last edited:
Re: Difference Between BS3 and BS4 Models

NCR dehli,
Mumbai, pune. Sholapur.
Ahemadabad.
Kolkata
chennai
Hyderabad
Bengluru
Lucknow, kanpur
Surat
Agra
, above mentioned cities are getting Bs4 fuel since april 2010.
7 more cities have been added to the list from march 2012 are as follows.
Vapi,
Jamnagar,
Ankaleshwar all threefrom Gujarat
Hissar, (Hariyana)
Bharatpur (Rajasthan)&
Puducherry

If you find the info useful do not hesitate to click the' thumbs up' tab.
Now ,many car manufactuer s have discontinued manufacturing of BS3 or socalled Euro 3 cars. Then what is the reason behind non availability of BS4 fuel all over India.

Petrolium minister said that it requires allocation of Rs 55000 cr.to set up full fledge sulfer reduction units in oil refinaries, which is not possible immidietly. Also they say cost of a vehicle increses if BS4 norms are made compulsory everywhere in India, this will lead to slowdon in auto industry, which is not good.

Those automobile companies who have discontinued BS4 models are urging the govt to compell BS4 norms all over India and discontinue BS3 norms as they are facing stiff and one sided competition from rest of the India (Bs3 India) due to low cost of BS3 cars.

As a result our India is facing criticism from international community.

What is the future of the BS3 and BS4?
Practically they will prevail till 2017 atleast.

Though BS norms are supposed to be pollution related, the fact of the matter is as the BS number increases, the fuel efficiency as well as the fun to drive factor reduces.

Yes, P3 T3 R, you are right,FE and power reduces up to a certain extent.

But an Indian scintist from Coimbtore Mr. Gopalkrishnan has invented an 'electronic catalytic converter' namely hydrodrive which is proved to improve power and FE by 13%.It was used in Opel Corsa car , and corsa achived emission standard ' Euro 4' in 2001!!!.

If govt.want to save Rs 53000 cr.(required to set up sulfer reduction units to make Bs4 fuel available all over India), they can recommend and compell ' hydrodrive' catalytic converters for all type of vehicles (old and new bs2, bs3 bs4), and achieve Euro 4 standards without setting up sulfer reduction units,@Rs 6000 cr.for whole India with bs4 or bs3 fuel!!!. But govt. didn't responded.[frustration]

Finally Mr.Gopalkrishnan started exporting his hydrodrive converters .[clap]

Attachments

Last edited:
Terminology used to describe sulfer content of fuel differ considerably from country to country and year to year, hence they create confusion while comparing euro norms with BS norms.
Following is examle of diesel.
In India
HSD (high sulfer diesel) from 2005 - sulfer content = 500 ppm.(bs2)

LSD (low sulfer diesel) from 2005- sulfer content less than 500 ppm.(bs3)

HSD (High sulfer diesel) from 2010-sulfer content s more than 350 ppm.

LSD (low sulfer diesel) from 2010-sulfer conent equal to or less than 350 ppm.(bs3)

ULSD (ultra low sulfer diesel) from 2010 -sulfer contents less than 50 ppm.(bs4)

In US and Europe ,

HSD from 2007- sulfer contents more than 500 ppm
LSD from 2007 -sulfer contents more than 15 ppm.{Euro 3}

ULSD from 2007-sulfer contents less than 15 ppm.(Euro 4}

Similarly petrol sulfer contents differ country to country and year to year (value s of sulfer are far lesser than diesel sulfer values)

Following problems have been documented in US and Europe with the use of ULSD.

1) corrosion of fuel tanks and fuel injectors leading to leakage in fuel injectors. Corrosion occurs due to inevitable loss of aromatic substances while removing sulfer from diesel.

2) decrese in lubricity of diesel leading to incresed wear and tear of engine.

A method called ' measurement of wear scar' on ball bearing is used to detect the wear and tear effect.

ULSD creates a wear scar of size 640 units.
LSD creates a wear scar of size 460 units.
Auto makers say a wear scar of size 550 units is acceptable AFA maintainance cost is concerned.
hence govts. have compelled to use fuel additives to reduce the wear and tear and corrosion problems

Petrol engines are lucky as they do no t use fuel as lubricant but corrosion problems demand additives.

Latest info on corrosion associated with Euro 4 fuels

American institute of Petroleum has found that ' ethanol' is a cause of corrosion in petrol fuel tanks and fuel system.

Ethanol is used for blending petrol (E5 /E10) to improve power and reduce pollution. The ethanol along with water leads to growth of ' acetobacter' bacterias.The acetic acid produced thus reacts with metals leading to corrosion. So many automakers are coming up with non metal fuel tanks.

American Institute of petroleum also found ethanol as one of the cause of corrosion in diesel fuel tanks and fuel systems.I was shocked to know it as ethanol is not used as diesel blender.

American Institute carried out a research and suspected that fuel tankers used to transport the ethanol blended petrol if used to transport diesel alternately can lead to cross contamination of diesel with ethanol traces and bacterias.

They are yet to find a solution for this problem.

Last edited:
Regarding BS3 and BS4 norms.

Hello TAI-gers,
My vehicle is a Mahindra Scorpio SLE BS4, 2013 model, and I want to know whether using BS3 diesel affects the engine, I am from Allahabad, UP. Please tell me where i can get BS4 diesel or is there anything i should do, this is my first purchase and during the purchase i was totally unaware about this. Did i made a mistake getting BS4 vehicle.

Re: Regarding BS3 and BS4 norms.

Hello TAI-gers,
My vehicle is a Mahindra Scorpio SLE BS4, 2013 model
Congrats.

I want to know whether using BS3 diesel affects the engine,
Yes, it does. Here is link. sulfer rich BS 3diesel damages the precious metals used in catalytic converter. But the effect is not felt immediately. Here is a link. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...s-3-bs-4-models.html?highlight=Difference+BS4

I am from Allahabad, UP. Please tell me where i can get BS4 diesel
Here is link for latest info on this. http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...-india.html?highlight=Availability+fuel+India.

or is there anything i should do,
Nothing much. If BS 4 fuel outlets are not easily accessibl, then gett ing the cataly tic converter removed and getting the engine returned to work without it is illegal and attracts penalty.

this is my first purchase and during the purchase i was totally unaware about this. Did i made a mistake getting BS4 vehicle.
Had you been member here, the situation could have been avoided.

Thanks @tornado, but nowadays almost all cars are coming with bs4 norms like storme, xuv. I could have gone wrong with either of them, anyways is there anyway to clean the catalytic converter and also after how much time it will show its effect.

Cleaning the converter won't help because higher sulfer in the BS 3 fuel reacts with precious metals in the converter and warrants earlier replacement.
Don't worry, the rust problem associated with BS 4 fuel balances the financial damage associated with BS 3 fuel.

Other cars eg stormed, xuv are supposed to use Bs 4 fuel only.

Last edited:
@ Tornado

Can u please tell me whether the fuel pumps after Katraj Ghat near Khed Shivapur toll supply BS3 fuel or BS4Fuel.
The reason I asked this question is these pumps are situated out side the city limit so which fuel will be available(BS3 or BS4).
I tried asking the guys on the fuel station but they are clueless about it.
The reason I asked this question is Petrol is cheap by around 2 Rs per litre.

Top Bottom