Did PAL Make a Padmini Station Wagon?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys, on a recent trip to Bombay I noticed PAL Padmini station wagon. Now the thing is when I had come 3 years back I noticed the same Padmini. I has been there for 3 years now and it doesn't look like it gets used much. It seems to be in good condition ie. no visible damage but has a lot of dust on it.
All this time until a while ago I thought Fiat/PAL only made the 1100D/ Padmini only in a sedan shape.
I happened to do a search of 1100D/ Padmini and came across a few picture of a Fiat 1100D station wagon.

So my question is did PAL ever make a Padmini Station wagon?
I am asking this as I have sent my grand parents on a hunt to find the owner of this car and to find out if he/she is willing to sell it.

Here is a pic of the 1100D station wagon. If I get this Padmini it will look identical to this one as I plan to restore it.

1966Fiat1100D_02_700.jpg

Safari!

Premier Padmini was also available as an estate aka Station wagon called Safari powered by the same engine producing 37bhp till IMO 1980s.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Did PAL Make a Padmini Station Wagon

hey thanks for your reply. Thats cool that premier made the padmini as an estate. This is the first padmini i have seen as an estate.
So are they rare in india (estate version)?

Last edited:

hey thanks for your reply. Thats cool that premier made the padmini as an estate.
Your welcome Zal.

So are they rare in india (estate version)?
Yes, they are very rare due to lack of demand for estate variants in our country.Looking at the sales figures of Padmini and 1100 variant upto 1980,IMO about 250 - 500 cars were produced(optimistically speaking).

By the way,I first saw it in Hindi movie Golmaal (1979) a light mud green colour car and it looked good.I thought at first as a coach built car but later I read some where that it was built by PAL.

good one dude! I also seen Padmini wagon but thought it was something else coz all classics look alike. :tongue: why is it LHD??

The pic zal has posted is not the one he spotted. That pic is of a Fiat 1100D wagon class must be Italy or somewhere and that's why LHD.Correct me if i am wrong Zal.

Thread Starter #7

Thats correct I found this one on the net.
I also found out the car I'm looking at has been converted from a sedan into a wagon. Its a 1971 Padmini and the first owner converted it so he could carry his dog. The person my grand parents spoke to is the second owner. I think its been converted well and has been made to look like the original wagon.

Here is one pic I have of the car I'm talking about:

Attachments

There is one white FIAT station wagon in Fiat Club Mysore. I got an opportunity to see it live during my visit to Mysore yesterday. Unfortunately I couldn't meet the owner.

I also found out the car I'm looking at has been converted from a sedan into a wagon. Its a 1971 Padmini and the first owner converted it so he could carry his dog. The person my grand parents spoke to is the second owner. I think its been converted well and has been made to look like the original wagon.

It doesn't look like the factory version though, it looks more like metal welded together, you can see the difference between the original and this easily. :/ But its pretty cool :)

Thread Starter #10

It doesn't look like the factory version though, it looks more like metal welded together, you can see the difference between the original and this easily. :/ But its pretty cool :)
Yup I have found out that the first owner converted it to a wagon to carry his dog. It was done in 1973 if I remember. Wouldn't mind restoring it and then bring it to australia.

Last edited:

Yup I have found out that the second owner converted it to a wagon to carry his dog. It was done in 1973 if I remember. Wouldn't mind restoring it and then bring it to australia.
Don't think it'll pass any of the Quarantine/Scrutineer tests. Unless you can bring it in as a personal import, for which you have to have owned the car for five or more years. It would be nice to see on here though ;)

Thread Starter #12

Don't think it'll pass any of the Quarantine/Scrutineer tests. Unless you can bring it in as a personal import, for which you have to have owned the car for five or more years. It would be nice to see on here though ;)
If I'm correct since this is more than 20 years old it can be brought in as a classic. So it doesn't need to pass many things other than putting in seat belts there shouldn't be much to it.

Its 30 years mate for it to be a "classic". then it won't need to pass any of that, if you can prove that you'll be restoring and driving it as a weekender only.

The original by PAL looks like the LHD Fiat. Look at the rear window. The sedan had a curved top rear corner whereas the estate had a sharp corner.

Hi Friends, I am fan of FIAT1100/Premier Padmini and have one S1 96 model and website dedicated for the welfare of Padmini/Fiat1100/118 NE lovers. Premier Padmini Safari was in production for a short time in early 80s. Later on some lover used to convert it, as it was originally designed in Italy here s the pic of original Fiat1100 station wagon I have spotted.

Attachments

Top Bottom