Detailed Guide: HID Kits and Installation

Great thanks for detailed comprehensive report for HID.
BTW, changing to HID from stock projector halogen will void the vehicle warranty? How it will affect the insurance?

Thread Starter #17
Great thanks for detailed comprehensive report for HID.
BTW, changing to HID from stock projector halogen will void the vehicle warranty? How it will affect the insurance?
I have changed it after i bought the car, in a few month's i met an accident, but they did not ask anything about the hids,even though i had many rat bites and the service guys repaired the wiring as i did not say them it was because of rats... They repaired it for free...
If any wiring short circuit.. Fire, they think about the hids..because ballast works on 23000volts.. But the current generation ballast are full sealed and water proof.. Only the cables need to be secured and must not come in contact with cars wiring.. And as we install it and take power from cars old bulb line,a relay and fuse is already present ,
But for high low cases.. You need to install them with a relay

Hi stingray91,

Very informative article. Thank you very much.
But these HID's are very nuisance for the Incoming Traffic. I usually go on Long drives and love to travel during Night/Early hours. Only thing that I hate is the Drivers with HID, and they don't care to switch to Low Beam. Even within the City, their Beam is blinding enough for other Drivers. This poses a huge risk to Others. HID must be used sensibly , but I doubt that after Installing HID's People care about others problems.

they don't care to switch to Low Beam. Even within the City, their Beam is blinding enough for other Drivers. This poses a huge risk to Others. HID must be used sensibly ,
Not only guys who use HID, most of the drivers use High beam by default[frustration]

sensible drivers who cares about oncoming traffic are available in both categories, but less in numbers

Not only guys who use HID, most of the drivers use High beam by default[frustration]

sensible drivers who cares about oncoming traffic are available in both categories, but less in numbers
Agreed !!! Sometimes I feel that ,if i had a Laser beam+Bright light, I'd focus the same on those Drivers [evil]!!! [gun]

Thread Starter #21
But these HID's are very nuisance for the Incoming Traffic. I usually go on Long drives and love to travel during Night/Early hours. Only thing that I hate is the Drivers with HID, and they don't care to switch to Low Beam. Even within the City, their Beam is blinding enough for other Drivers. This poses a huge risk to Others. HID must be used sensibly , but I doubt that after Installing HID's People care about others problems.
I mentioned not to use HID in reflectors in the beginning of the thread.!

Hello friends,
I have Mahindra KUV100 NXT. I have 2 HID's mounted on my front dashboard. But, every now and then the blaster are going off. Its been 2 times. Then I got to know the relay and the blaster are of some local brand.

Now, that I want to put new bulb, relay and blaster can anyone suggest where in Bangalore can I get?

The bulb size is H3. I need 2 HID bulbs with its fitting and 35W 6000k.

Please suggest, its urgent!

bhvm

Honoured Member
1. Buddy where had you hid this thread for 4 long years? [confused]Don't know How I missed it.
BTW, let me congratulate you on a very good write up in simple language. Its a perfect guide for first timer.

2. A small correction. HID bulb does not have any solid metal filament.
There are Metal electrodes with an airgap in between. Also called Arc gap.
The ballast produces high voltage which strikes very brightly Spark/Arc across these.

This Arc is in the UV spectrum initially. But it starts to Vaporize the Metal Halides (Salts) inside the arc chamber. Sometimes you can see the halides as red/brownish or grey powder or dots inside the arc chamber. The quality and composition of these halides are what that generate visible light. The composition of Halides can be altered to produce different colors and qualities(CRI). HID lamps are also frequently referred to as METAL HALIDE lamps in industrial word.

Over the time of the the bulb, these salts deteriorate, which means they fail to convert Blue-UV spectrum to visible light as effectively. Hence you can see that older bulbs often shift over to bluish before failing. A 4300k Bulb may start looking like 4600K to 4700k

Other reason is that Arc gap widens due to electrodes wearing out. Once the threshold is reached that ballast cannot produce enough voltage to strike/sustain the arc over wider airgap. Bulbs of these age often start "Cycling" as in going on and off (restarting) every few minutes. You can see this in Ill maintained Municipal streetlights also.

Last edited:
Stingray91 ,just stumbled onto this thread while researching for upgrade options for my cars factory fitted halogen projectors. Nice post with good detailed explanations.
Since I am looking to get the light output increased , would you recommend just swapping out the halogen bulb with an HID bulb ? Would it do any good or would it result only in unnecessary glare to oncoming traffic, which I definitely don't want.I generally drive sedately and use low beam 90% and am more concerned about seeing more road ahead than high speed response.

Top Bottom