Destination: LEH - Journey: An Experience for Life!!!

Thread Starter #1
Have you ever wondered how does it feel to spend a night in Zojila pass after it was closed by BRO due to heavy snow fall? [glasses]

Read through to know more [:)]

Disclaimer: I am writing this travelogue for the first time, in fact I am writing anything for the first time. So if you find it to be boring please advise me on how to improve it.

This is how the story unfolds:-

At the beginning of the year 2011 i was at office, not very busy, on the net, drooling over.. Hmm.. Cars, yes cars!! That’s when I came across a travelogue from a couple from Delhi who had done their journey to Leh, I read it in one shot, went home read it once more this time with Me better half. So, that’s when the Leh bug bit us.

As most of us know this is not our usual journey where we pack and leave, so went in a good 8 months of preparation and planning; leaves, finance, transportation, bags, kits etc etc etc.. You guys know what I am talking about.
After spending a good load of time on the net, I realized that this is going to be a tough nut to crack. But we were really determined to do it, and we wanted to do it this year itself, at any cost [:D]
Why this year?
We dint have the patience to wait another year for BRO to officially open all the passes. Time was running out, and nothing was in place including the dates of our travel. Finally, things started to look good around October, and after a lot of yes, no, yes, we managed come to a conclusion on the number of days we can get our leaves together.

So, 10 days it was. Now, 10 days for a normal holiday is GOOD, but for LEH? You are kidding me, right? “Its 10 days that’s it” this is what my wife said. “Now plan the trip around it” said she. For me, I could still manage to squeeze in a few days more to my kitty but since she had just moved to a new role it was a tight situation, understandable.

But 10 days? Man, this is going to be one hell of a fast trip.

Booked flight tickets for Delhi, and we take off for the most memorable journey of our life.

It was the same day when India hosted the first ever Formula1 to the world, and no I dint get to watch the race, but I did manage to catch an aerial view of the Buddh International circuit... Awesome, it was!!!

We land in Delhi around 9 on a super Sunday morning…. Then? Did what?

Well, we DID THIS…..

Attachments

Re: Destination: LEH ---- Journey: An Experience for Life!!!

@Junaid: Welcome to TAI.
That was one hell of writing, Kudos man i am impressed.

Go on,Now waiting for rest of your experiences of the trip.

But waiting for lots of pics.[:)]

Thread Starter #4

@nitin - thank you.

@mukeshus - thank you, your very kind. Will do my best to complete it soon.

Thread Starter #5

"You did the biggest mistake of your life coming on a bike, in this season" this is one common sentence we heard through our trip from people in most of the cities we visited.

We (wife&me) have always been avid nature lovers, for us visiting a country side is nirvana, place does not matter, it’s the journey which counts. Having been to a lot of rides in our Bull there were no second thoughts on how we wanted to do this trip. So, Bull it was going to be, now the trouble is we have just about 10 days on hand and taking my Bull all the way up north was ruled out.
What is the next best option then? Rent it. Rent an unknown Bull for such a long journey? Crazy.
Doesn’t it sound like “aa Bull mujhe maar”?
When I was planning this trip it did actually sound that way. I do know a lot of people have explored this side of India on a rented Bull, but for us most of the odds are against, first it’s the weather since we are starting off in November, secondly it’s just 2 of us so safety factor is the biggest concern, and third would be reliability of the unknown Bull.
Decisions, decisions and decisions… that was one thing I have always been vary of, I just cannot make up my mind, and since it’s about vehicle, destination and route my wife has this blind faith in me that I will take care of it. So she does not like to give her suggestions much on this, ‘if it’s a Yes for me then it’s a Yes for her’ says she.

Finally, we said ‘jo hoga dekha jayeega’!!! I called a reputed bike dealer in Karol Bagh to book the Bull, I initially wanted to take old gold CI 350 engine Bull, but then I saw a pic of Thunder Bird (will refer as TB from here on) with a big back rest and thought it will be more comfortable for wife, as a pillion she needs to be comfortable otherwise journey gets very taxing, so made the decision it’s going to be a TB with the big back rest.
We always have our riding gear ready so the bags and knickknacks etc.. were packed the night before journey. Said our prayers and went to bed around 2AM on 30th Oct, for a 6AM flight [frustration]
Woke up late and were way behind schedule, picked whatever was packed and ran down to the cab, once in cab had this usual feeling of we are forgetting something (you know what I am talking about).
We just about managed to reach airport on time, ran to the counter with BIG trekking bags clinging on our back, a pretty lady @ the counter smiles and said ‘you’re late’ my heart sank, no, not looking at her, but at what she said. She took a millisecond long pause. Within those milliseconds there were a billion thoughts running in my mind, silently cursing self and murmured what a blunder, I mean the entire trip could jeopardize were we not allowed to board that flight...
OK, lots of milliseconds later she says ‘we will let you board, please place your’... looking at our bags ‘hmm… bags, here’ said the lady.
We smiled said thank you and placed our bags on the counter for security clearance, that’s done. Boarded the flight, now, interestingly both do not remember what happened after the flight took off, since we dozed off, royally (remember we just had 2 hours sleep previous night).
Woke up with a loud noise from seat ahead of us, it was a 7 year old boy, shouting ‘LOOK IT’S THE BUDDH CIRCUIT’ yes, he was heading to see that race, lucky kid. That’s when I too got excited and peeped out of the window, it did look super cool from the distance.

We managed to get solid 2 hour's sleep during flight and woke up fresh. Got out of the airport called the Karol Bagh dealer and hired a taxi to his place. Once at his shop I took the TB for a good 15min's ride before accepting it, came back pretty satisfied with the condition it was in. Completed formalities paid advance packed our bags on the carrier and zoomed off to the nearest hotel for lunch, yes, we dint eat anything since morning remember?

Its 3PM by the time we finish lunch, from here we begin our actual journey… [cheers]

Attachments

Wow. This is a thrilling T'Log in progress.
What more adventorous than a trip to Leh in bike with a lady on your side during November? Impressive!!!

Hooked up to this thread and awaiting for more pictures. Did you visit Pangong Tso? Thats one of my dream destination and wish to spend a night there.

Excellent so far Junaid. If this travelogue is your first write-up , then imagine your writing potential. We are getting familiar with your travelling potential already. Keep it flowing , tell us more.

Thread Starter #8

@truecitylover - Thank you, Pangong Tso was skipped. But yes spending a night will be a dream if only your well equipped [;)]

@carabiker - Thank you for the kind words [:)]

When I started reading the thread and you said that you booked flight tickets, I thought it would be the normal hired car travel.

But you introduced the TB fantastically. It was like the old Amitabh / Dharmendra starrers where they have special introductory scenes for them.

Great start.. I am sure the ride was greater... Eagerly waiting for the rest of write up and pix which I expect to be the greatest.

Thread Starter #10

@ Chandranath - Thank you so much : Amitabh / Dharmendra starrers [clap]
TB was no less than a hero to us, performed brilliantly,my respect to that machine has increased 2 notch above. You will soon know why.

Excellent write up[clap]. Please don't keep us waiting. Dying to know rest of the story..[cheers]

Impressive write up. I liked your bike [:)].

Leh/Ladakh is a dream destination of every true petrol head.

Wow, good write up , post pore pics asap [:)]

Definitely, Riding a bike with wife beside will be a awesome experience.. you done that dude..

Congrats,[clap]

Tell us how much you spent for Bike rent, Fuel, accommodation,food,etc,etc..

Waiting for more & more pics of Leh & your ride..

Oh ho oh! And here I am still planning for a life time experience. Being so 'J' and thrilled by the teaser, at the same time. Did you mention it's your first T'log, Man, are you kidding? [:)]
You do know how to spin yarns! And hell, I am waiting for the yarn to complete. This is just awesome.

Keep the pictures flowing and also the virgin T'log!!!

Top Bottom