Delhi May Soon Levy Congestion Fee On Vehicles

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
NEW DELHI: Delhi may soon become the first city in the country to levy congestion charges on vehicles following the recommendation of a special team constituted by the Delhi High Court to address the capital's growing traffic woes. Delhi has almost 70 lakh vehicles, which is more than what the other three metros together have.

Plus, there are 11 lakh vehicles entering the capital everyday from adjoining towns, slowing average speed on its roads to a crawling 12 kmph. The best way to deal with it is to slap a traffic congestion fee on vehicles that will encourage people to use public transport, feels the high-power special task force, constituted by the high court to minimise congestion, reduce pollution and ensure equitable access to all classes of vehicles.
Source: Economic Times

Will they be charging all private vehicles?

And idea how much they will be charging?

This does not sound practical IMO.

London also has a congestion fee that needs to be paid while entering the main city. There are no toll booths for the collection of the fee. The cars are captured on a special number plate recognition camera which records the car when they enter the city. The drivers need to pay 10 Pounds while entering, which I think is a bit too high. But I don't know how they would implement the rule here in Delhi.

oh my god! [surprise] it is becoming very expensive for petrolheads to live in delhi. first skytouching petrol and diesel prices and other bla bla taxes and now congestion fees. why cant govt try to encourage more hybrid cars here and improve their road conditions instead!!??

Ha ha Umang you live in Delhi and you complain about skytouching petrol prices! Then imagine other states like us and worst think of Bangalore , they pay the highest tax and fuel is costlier there!

Top Bottom