Skoda December 2017 Indian Car Sales

Tata Motors December 2017 Indian Car Sales

Toyota December 2017 Indian Car Sales

Volkswagen December 2017 Indian Car Sales

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Friends,

2 Points I want to make here with regards to the sales figures shared:

a) From Maruti's standards, Ignis & CIAZ are alarmingly low on sales. Maruti Suzuki surely should re-plan their strategy w.r.t the Ignis. The Ignis was marketed and launched with great expectations & marketing.

b) I wish to see Tiago & Nexon eventually making their way in the top 10 sellers chart in near future. Nice to note the market share of TML closing in to 6%. More new products & better ASC is the key!

Regards

Akash

Launching too many models in short bursts by TATA seems to be taking hit on the sales numbers. People are more interested in Low and Mid variant NEXON compared to TIGOR top end. Inclination towards sub four meter SUV is going to stay in 2018. hope with Tata Q50x twin SUVs the numbers go up for make in India brand.

Quite an interested show of numbers. The usual high sellers have lost on numbers, and the slow sellers have gained a lot.
While most of Maruti's cars have lost on sales compared to November 2017 due to the year end, slow sellers like Lodgy, Passat, Camry and Rexton have shown massive growth. The year end sale may have finally gained them some attention from the buyers. Kwid is one of the few models, which has gained in numbers in spite of being a high seller, second being the City.
Sad to see Fiat's numbers still not catching up, though they are doing a good job with Jeep Compass. Nexon has managed to hold on to its numbers, and Hexa has bounced back (maybe due to year end offers). Ford Ecosport's numbers are shocking, and I hope they recover from this fall soon.

It is noteworthy that 3 car models have dropped quickly in sales within 4 months of launch:
1) Verna 2) Ecosport 3) Captur.

Captur is the most alarming since its a completely new model. Renault have messed up big time on this product by not offering any differentiation worth the price. Same engine, same cabin features, a hideous looking Instrument console, I mean, did they have a disagreement with Renault S.A on launching this car ? Nothing else can justify this.

With respect to Ignis- I think Maruti has too many models in the 5-8 lac category. In my opinion, the Celerio should have been stopped in order to ensure that Ignis succeeded. Secondly, Ignis should not have been a Nexa exclusive product. It is way too mainstream for that.

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
I believe that ignis despite of being a good car is not successful because of it's ugly shape. Same thing happened with my Ritz. Ultimately maruti pulled the plug on that one. To replace Ritz maruti made an even uglier car. And it's costly too.

kkn13

Suspended
I believe that ignis despite of being a good car is not successful because of it's ugly shape. Same thing happened with my Ritz. Ultimately maruti pulled the plug on that one. To replace Ritz maruti made an even uglier car. And it's costly too.
*Ugly but practical
I also owned Ritz VDI, one of the best cars Ive ever owned
So underrated

They should have just improved suspension, looks and features of Ritz instead of all new Ignis
Ignis isnt bad but Ritz was more comfortable

Last edited:
b) I wish to see Tiago & Nexon eventually making their way in the top 10 sellers chart in near future. Nice to note the market share of TML closing in to 6%. More new products & better ASC is the key!
For Tiago it would have certainly happened but with the Tata Management behaving in a chindi manner I don't see that happening. Certainly it would be consistently into top 20 but very hard to get into top 10 with this attitude. Many prospective buyers have dropped the decision of buying Tiago due to this attitude of Tata Management. The removal of features present in earlier cars like boot lamp, parcel tray strings, bonnet insulation, putting smaller stepney is really disappointing. All these are 'expected' features for a buyer who has looked or tried earlier features [frustration]. They could have increased the price by 5-6K instead of this chindi chori since already Tiago is a lot cheaper and premium compared to the competition.
Hyundai too behaved in similar way recently and it was disappointing. Govt should bring some rules to restrict removal of features and penalise car manufacturers heavily so that atleast a buyer gets what he 'expects'.

It is noteworthy that 3 car models have dropped quickly in sales within 4 months of launch:
1) Verna 2) Ecosport 3) Captur.

Captur is the most alarming since its a completely new model. Renault have messed up big time on this product by not offering any differentiation worth the price. Same engine, same cabin features, a hideous looking Instrument console, I mean, did they have a disagreement with Renault S.A on launching this car ? Nothing else can justify this.

With respect to Ignis- I think Maruti has too many models in the 5-8 lac category. In my opinion, the Celerio should have been stopped in order to ensure that Ignis succeeded. Secondly, Ignis should not have been a Nexa exclusive product. It is way too mainstream for that.
I think people have lost trust on Renault due to its unethical behaviour be it providing smaller airbags, super light and unsafe Indian versions of its cars and false Ad on Captur and even poor after sales service. They have got enough publicity and due to the lack of trust people are not considering Renault cars. The need to understand that getting infamous is easier than getting famous. For Ignis, I feel it would go the A-star or Zen-Estilo way. These cars have been designed way too uglier and priced too optimistically to have the desirability factor. People considering Ignis usually end up buying Baleno or in some cases Grand i10 or Tiago.

Last edited:
KWID= Close to 21% drop in YoY basis
ALTO = Close 18% rise on YoY basis
completely co-related.
Kwid was the most talked about small car in '16, but nothing can beat "The Alto"

For Tiago it would have certainly happened but with the Tata Management behaving in a chindi manner I don't see that happening. Certainly it would be consistently into top 20 but very hard to get into top 10 with this attitude. Many prospective buyers have dropped the decision of buying Tiago due to this attitude of Tata Management. The removal of features present in earlier cars like boot lamp, parcel tray strings, bonnet insulation, putting smaller stepney is really disappointing. All these are 'expected' features for a buyer who has looked or tried earlier features [frustration]. They could have increased the price by 5-6K instead of this chindi chori since already Tiago is a lot cheaper and premium compared to the competition.
The thing which we cannot understand is that what gain did tata get by removing those small and nifty features. That doesn't even account to 3K on the whole when procured bulk [surprise]

mayankdixit

Honoured Member
The thing which we cannot understand is that what gain did tata get by removing those small and nifty features. That doesn't even account to 3K on the whole when procured bulk [surprise]
It will matter if you are selling 90,000 cars/year.You see 90,000 x 3000=27,0000000.Its 27 crores each year,brother.[:)] Ofcourse I will be forgiven if my maths is plus minus 5 crores,right.[;)]
BTW that's how maruti has been doing business and earning monstrous profits out of thin tin cans, all these years.They simply removed fog lights out of all the last version dezires ,without any rhyme or reason, earning crores, while we Indians bought it in hoards for 3 consecutive years.Think about their profit.And that is just one example,out of the 20 cars they sell.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
It will matter if you are selling 90,000 cars/year.You see 90,000 x 3000=27,0000000.Its 27 crores each year,brother.[:)] Ofcourse I will be forgiven if my maths is plus minus 5 crores,right.[;)]
BTW that's how maruti has been doing business and earning monstrous profits out of thin tin cans, all these years.They simply removed fog lights out of all the last version dezires ,without any rhyme or reason, earning crores, while we Indians bought it in hoards for 3 consecutive years.Think about their profit.And that is just one example,out of the 20 cars they sell.
Thats still peanuts for a large corporation
Wouldnt they rather sell a fully loaded car to retain goodwill of customers over skimping to save a bit
Seems they rely totally on the Harman Audio to sell their cars whilst skimping on basic things

And what about 10000 cars less sold due to reputation gained by these bad omissions? Suppose Tata earns 50000 per car. Thats about 50Cr loss. And the loss on reputation is invaluable. Hope foolish Managers have done their job better.

kkn13

Suspended
And what about 10000 cars less sold due to reputation gained by these bad omissions? Suppose Tata earns 50000 per car. Thats about 50Cr loss. And the loss on reputation is invaluable. Hope foolish Managers have done their job better.
Yeah if Maruti does it, it wont matter thanks to MGA/MGP which people will use to add most of these things(fogs etc) except airbags and ABS (With regards to "O" variants)[lol][frustration]

But players like Tata, Ford, Honda etc need to be more careful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom