Datsun Go Review & Pictures: Go Datsun Go

Thread Starter #106

350Z

Core Team
Re: Datsun Go: Review | Test Drive | Pictures

Nissan has commenced the exports of Datsun Go to South Africa from its Chennai Plant. Pricing is between 89,500 - 99,500 Rands (INR 4,96,914 - 5,52,435).

Datsun-Go-South-Africa-press-shot.jpg

Datsun-Go-interior-South-Africa-press-shot.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Datsun Go Fail NCAP Crash Tests - receives a zero star rating
The Datsun Go's crash test shows. The car's body shell disintegrated severely during the same kind of test. Of course the lack of airbags further compounded the potential injuries. The driver and passenger dummies sustained fatal injuries to the head, torso and legs
Now Maruti Suzuki Swift and Datsun Go Fail NCAP Crash Tests

Last edited:

Withdrawal of Datsun Go From India - Reccommends NCAP chief.

Citing big concern over Datsun Go failing the NCAP safety test - its Chairman of Global NCAP has written to Renault - Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn,
As presently engineered the Datsun Go will certainly fail to pass the United Nation's frontal impact regulation. In these circumstances I would urge Nissan to withdraw the Datsun Go from sale in India pending an urgent redesign of the car's body-shell
It must be noted that Global NCAP has no jurisdiction or powers - either globally or in India - to demand that the withdrawal of any car model is in fact carried out. It is merely a recommendation it is making to the company
Global NCAP Asks For Withdrawal of Datsun Go From India - News

Well the car looks stunning in terms of design, far better then Alto 800 and k10.
The Only drawback which i felt after inquiring at RITU NISSAN, that base model and 2nd Top variant does not have power steering.
Perfectly understand the logic behind base model, its cheap.
But 2nd top model should have been given power steering.

I wanted to buy DATSUN but now will wait for the next Ford Hatch which is suppose to be launching on Jan 2015. Hopefully

Hi,

Wanted to share my views on the so called safety issue for GO.
I can understand it doesn’t have any ABS/airbag. But Nissan have launched it for the Middleclass average families. I am also looking for a new car but just to tell that the cheapest Safe car is Nissan Micra Active XVS version comes for 5.6 Lac on road in Pune. Do you think simple average earning Person can afford it ? NO .
For a middle class person upgrading from Bike to Car, person needs a simple, easy to drive, low maintenance cost car. In my society/ surroundings, I see many people/families struggling with their daily needs loaded on their 2wheelers. These people need a cheap car. That why Alto is sekking with 20K+ count every month. Add to it WagonR 15K+, EON with 6K+ count each month.
When we talk of safety ,I would want to know how much these models are safe Alto 800, k10, Wagon R, eon ? Even Swift have failed in crash test; K10 was failed with 0 rating some times back. Then no body wrote letter to MS asking to withdraw such brands. The Indian market is a mix of different type of people from different background. Majority of people’s don’t even know ABS/airbag. When I talked to Sales person for WagonR ABS model, he was surprised. He told me that people are not interested in buying fully loaded Vxi model, who cares for ABS here. Lxi-CNG is most sought after. People think about petrol price and runnig cost as well .
Even in my office, More than 75% cars are without ABS. 65 % of total comprises of Alto, Santro, WagonR, EON, i10 which are no way safe cars.
The situation will change once Govt amends the Motor bill which is as old as M800 (26 years).
Till then Car Makers will keep on making cars for all; People would be buying as per their pocket.

GO is a very competent product and given the price range, its gives us the competent features. Sales are low due to less number of Nissan dealership and marketing as well.
I don’t see any issue otherwise. Its perfect replacement for Santro car.

Thanks,
Bimlendra

Last edited:

Without wishing to be mean, the above is the typical mentality we have been observing for years now. Consider the following:

Do you value 1 lakh rupees more, or the life of your family?

I would typically suggest ferreting for a safe second-hand option within your budget, but that can be difficult considering how few cars on our roads have safety features.

Salespersons have also grown cynical towards safety features because they care more about pushing more cars than they do about safety.

The fact is, buying a car is always an investment and families will find ways to afford it even if the price is slightly raised due to safety features, as long as they care. Further, if more people were to buy safety features on their cars, their price would drop drastically!

Simply by watching the crash test video, you will see that the Datsun Go is horrifically unsafe, just observe the deformation of the passenger cabin. Although other cars also failed, not many were nearly as bad.

Just because we have historically been unsafe in India, doesn't mean we can't make a change.

Hi Viru,

I totally agree with your views.
Personally, I am trying to look for all the available options before buying a car(safe car).
I just wanted to elaborate how the indian crowd is and what are their needs. Its not a matter of 1 lakh to me; but for people it matters.
Govt can push Car makers to build cars with ABS/airbag even in entry level trim. Once their is demand the cost of such fetures will come down to 10-15 K from current 35-40k. Issue is we dont get such features in base models.
Second pointwould be made make strong chasis and there should be some benchmarks. Without Govt Push, people are not going buy such cars.

Thanks,
Bimlendra

Definitely. We are bound by complacency and the "chalta hai" attitude. Then (without wishing to offend anyone) people lay the decision of whether they will live or die on God instead of logic.

Datsun Go to get airbags
Nissan has confirmed that Datsun Go hatchback will get driver side airbag.
Nissan has confirmed that the airbag equipped model will go into production starting next month at their Oragadam plant near Chennai.
Like the Go+ MPV, driver side airbag on the Datsun Go is likely to be only in the top end T trim.

Datsun Go to get airbags | Car News | Entry-level hatchbacks | Autocar India

Datsun Go to get airbags
Nissan has confirmed that Datsun Go hatchback will get driver side airbag.
Nissan has confirmed that the airbag equipped model will go into production starting next month at their Oragadam plant near Chennai.
Like the Go+ MPV, driver side airbag on the Datsun Go is likely to be only in the top end T trim.

Datsun Go to get airbags | Car News | Entry-level hatchbacks | Autocar India
Without trying to sound harsh, any amount of Airbags isn't going to do much if the chassis integrity is as appalling as what we saw in the crash tests! This is pretty much another tactic to mislead customers.

Without trying to sound harsh, any amount of Airbags isn't going to do much if the chassis integrity is as appalling as what we saw in the crash tests! This is pretty much another tactic to mislead customers.
Datsun has confirmed along with the airbags the shell of the car will be strengthened.

Datsun is likely to proactively test the car through GNCAP in coming months.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/industry/auto/news/passenger-vehicle/cars/nissan-motor-working-on-datsun-gos-body-shell-after-global-ncap-questions-safety-features/articleshow/46656646.cms

Last edited:
Very interesting! I'm curious to see how the results change, I would be impressed if they would achieve 2+ stars without airbags and 3+ with airbags.

Very interesting! I'm curious to see how the results change, I would be impressed if they would achieve 2+ stars without airbags and 3+ with airbags.
You will not see such a rating . Without airbags, however strong the chassis may be, will get Zero rating.

Top Bottom