Dangerous Races on Delhi NCR Roads

Thread Starter #1
Hi all.
i saw some some videos on you tube in which people are doing bike or car races on some open roads of Delhi n ncr like noida expressway n even some normal traffic level roads.Some say that highways are the only place to race n some say its risky even on highways to others.So what is the best way of racing so that others road users are not put at risk??I am not promoting such kind of racing but finding a way for the interest of both-the racers n normal road users.

The only best way of racing is , take your car to a race track or an open land where there is absolutely nobody else other than you.

As racing is not simply a joyful exercise but a sport, it should be played in the proper place. You would not play hockey on running track, would you?. There have been many incidents of bikers losing their lives on Delhi-Noida tollway over the years due to these drag races.

Although racing gives you the adrenalin rush but it acts as a nuisance and a hazard for the others on the roads, considering the fact that the racer is fully aware of the fatalities.

racing on public roads and highways should be discouraged by all means as its dangerous to other innocent people. the would be champs should go to race tracks if they are in the mood for an adrenaline rush.

Last edited:
Mastersquall but that doesn't mean one can race in highways either. The racers not only put their lives at stake but other innocent people as well.

Lucky for us , we have a racetrack and few of my friends take their cars out there for a spin!

Thread Starter #8
Thanx everypone for your suggestions about proper way of racing but anyone with tips on how to be careful from any kind of rash driving on highways?

Here are few tips from my side. Am sure other experts in the forums can provide more valuable tips -
1) Stay within the safe speed limits
2) Never get on to a racing mood on highways
3) There will be few drivers who might provoke you on the highways. Think that they are biggest fools on earth and ignore. In such situtaion best way keep a temper check is to roll up the windows, switch on the AC, turn on the music and relax. Let the fools disappear.
4) Maintain safe distance between vehicles
5) Aviod zig zag driving.
6) Be carefull at junctions, median breaks etc
7) Always remember that people back home will be waiting for you and there is nothing bigger than your own life. (Some time back, drivers in Bangalore city buses were asked to keep their family photo in the dash board. This will caution them from rash driving) you can try this trick [:)]

Here are few tips from my side. Am sure other experts in the forums can provide more valuable tips -
3) There will be few drivers who might provoke you on the highways. Think that they are biggest fools on earth and ignore. In such situtaion best way keep a temper check is to roll up the windows, switch on the AC, turn on the music and relax. Let the fools disappear.
7) Always remember that people back home will be waiting for you and there is nothing bigger than your own life. (Some time back, drivers in Bangalore city buses were asked to keep their family photo in the dash board. This will caution them from rash driving) you can try this trick [:)]
Aptly put. There is nothing more important than reaching home to your expecting family in one piece. That goes for the vehicle on which you are traveling too! I know it will be difficult to avoid situations where people will irritate you, but just take your mind off those guys and put on some nice music, that should help always.

@ Dhaya, even if there is a race track in Chennai, people still use street roads as racing tracks in Chennai, aren't they ? Similarly, in other parts they use highways or broader roads as race tracks.

Point here is whether they should be allowed or not ?

NO THEY SHOULD NOT BE.

How can we stop them ?

Only by awareness and trust me law enforcement will not help. Like S** education in schools. Young children should be taught about road safety and importance of it. Because only law enforcement agencies will not be able to stop due to N number of reasons.

@ Carfreak, Excellent points and I personally appreciate that unfortunately people racing or indulging in it also knows these points and still getting hurt.

even if we follow all these its not going to save you if the other guy is not following them. today i almost had a head on collision with a private bus. the fellow was overtaking a govt run bus from a blind curve on the wrong side . i had to brake suddenly and swerve off the tarmac , and escaped by a whisker. its the lack of punishments thats making all these killers on the highways. if he had hit me and killed me the maximum punishment that he is going to get is INR 3000 fine/ 3months imprisonment[lol]

Excellent points Carfreak. In addition to those:

1.Never overtake when you are not confident about it. Remember there is no harm in reaching our destination some 10 or 15 minutes late.

2. Overtake only when you have clear sight of the road ahead and respect other vehicles coming in the opposite direction.

3.Never overtake in blind curves.

4.When driving at night always lower the beam when some vehicle is coming in the opposite direction. I also follow the practice of lowering my beam when i am behind some other car because it will cause a huge glare on his eyes due to the reflection from the IRVM.

@ Shailinder Yes people race at the streets a lot here especially at nights. I said that to Mastersquall when he said there are no racing tracks in Delhi.

@ Dhaya, even if there is a race track in Chennai, people still use street roads as racing tracks in Chennai, aren't they ? Similarly, in other parts they use highways or broader roads as race tracks.

Point here is whether they should be allowed or not ?

NO THEY SHOULD NOT BE.

How can we stop them ?

Only by awareness and trust me law enforcement will not help. Like S** education in schools. Young children should be taught about road safety and importance of it. Because only law enforcement agencies will not be able to stop due to N number of reasons.

@ Carfreak, Excellent points and I personally appreciate that unfortunately people racing or indulging in it also knows these points and still getting hurt.
Awareness wont work! Do you think people who race on roads dont know what they are doing? Law enforcement does work and is the only thing that works, But when it comes to the enforcing part. Some uncle wearing a starched khadi will come and get the offenders out of Law's hand! And kids at school, Their parents themselves are the ones who teach them how to break the law. Believe me I know and can share a lot of incidents.

See its fear of punishment that makes a person to refrain from committing an offence. See for instance, I as a teenager was caught twice by cops in a week for dangerous driving. (Was speeding actually and back in the days, If you down shifted a Shogun twice to second from fourth at 70kmph. That was enough to create drama.) I got a summons to appear in court. And in the end my licence was not suspended and I was only given the maximum fine for two accounts of breaking the law, cause my lawyer plead for leniency and assured the judge that I wont ever repeat the act again. When we walked out of the court hall, My lawyer adviced that I should never ever be caught speeding again, cause if I do. Then I would have a suspended licence along with a sentence for imprisonment. Since then I have been very careful and the fear of punishment has transformed me for good.

Last edited:
Yes +1 to Jalex. My friend recently went to Dubai and the rules there are so strict it seems! Do anything wrong the first thing they do is impound the car for upto a month and then he said several other strict laws and rules which are followed. All because of one reason , FEAR! Here people do mistakes knowingly too because they know they can get out using influence.

Top Bottom