Damping Ritz To Reduce Road Noise

Thread Starter #1
Hi all,

This weekend i wanted to install damping in the car, Main purpose was to reduce road noise.

Ritz diesel at 100kmph with 2k rpm was driving me mad with the noise.

So, This is what was done.

1) 3M under body coating, i took the 5 year option which came to around 2.8k and around half a day.

Result: Road noise is considerably reduced, I'd say around 30% cut in the road noise.

2) Damping with Stinger's Roadkill + Dynamat Hoodliner. I've ordered around 48sq ft of this to cover floor, doors, bonnet and hood.

First, Bonnet was partially covered with roadkill, later thought hood-liner not needed for now !!!
Second, Front seat floors, around 10sqft.
Third, Hood 8sq ft.
Fourth, All the four doors 12sqft.

Once everything is done, i took it for a short drive, and guess what, there is no improvement in road noise...
was disappointed with the result, and tried music, its better now but the main purpose of damping was not solved.

There is a very small improvement when on bad roads, but certainly not worth the money i spent.

So, was wondering if we can put a second coat of 3M under body coating, would it add any value?

btw, Stinger road kill came to around 245Rs/sqft, ordered from ebay globaleasybuy.

few pics of doors before and after...

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
Guys, some admin changed the title from damping to dampening...can you change it please...

dampening:

1. Make slightly wet: "the fine rain dampened her face".
2. Make less strong or intense: "nothing could dampen her enthusiasm"

damping:

In physics, damping is any effect that tends to reduce the amplitude of oscillations in an oscillatory system

Thread Starter #4
An update for the damping...

Last week while getting the seat covers done I've also fixed roadkill sheets in the floor.

And, now i can see it has reduced a bit of road noise.

But i still don't feel the whole damping thing is worth the $$$ !!!

you could reduce decent amount of road noise just with 3M under body coating...

Hey Raj,

Good to know these on your Ritz. I was also thinking about the underbody coat, but was in a confusion as it is required more in coastal areas. So I would like to know more about your experience on this[:)]

Road noise needs to be cut off at the point of entry. Like ACMohan said, you need to insulate the inside of the wheel arches. That's where the maximum entry of road noise comes from .

AFAIK dynamat is to better the in-car acoustics of the car.

Raj
the 1st point i would advise is that did you ask for any suggestions, opinions and advise from fellow TAIns b4 spending the money on these products?

you shud have waited for expert suggestions and any felow members personal experiences

anyway - think twice before plonking hard earned money on after market fittings and accesories which promise you the moon [:)]

@Raj

Rather than doing all this for a 6 Lakhs car, its better to do

1. Change to good tyres which leave less noise

2. Switch on the ICE during highway drive that's it[clap]

@Raj

Rather than doing all this for a 6 Lakhs car, its better to do

1. Change to good tyres which leave less noise

2. Switch on the ICE during highway drive that's it[clap]
yes i agree with your point [clap] i also have a ritz petrol version road noise is above 100db when car runs at high RPM i switch to good ice and now i can't hear the noise in high volumes.

Another thing was my friend has changed the stock JK tyre 165 to MRF Z 185 tyre i can see big difference in better handling and road noise is little bit reduced.

So please change the Tyre with good radial one definitely you can see the changes in it.

Hi,
I am planning for 3M underbody coating for my Ritz Vdi for Rs. 3,850/- my main purpose is Sound deadening, is it worth doing?

Pankaj

Last edited:

Top Bottom