D-I-Y Short Shifter.

Thread Starter #1
After reading multiple posts on people cutting the gear lever and labelling it as a short shifter, i decided to make my own design.
So, one lazy afternoon, i opened up the whole shifter section with the linkage rods, and studied the shifter.

The Shifter Rod.

DSCN1366.jpg

The Shifter ball. The rod moves in this.

DSCN1365.jpg

The full System

DSCN1368.jpg

The Shifter Ball.

DSCN1369.jpg

The shifter rod was cut 4 inches on the upper part of the ball, and 2 inches were added to under section of the ball. Basically the ball and linkage length was increased.

DSCN1372.jpg

The Ball assy was then exteneded by 2 inches to aling the shifter linkages to the gearbox.

DSCN1370.jpg

Final Assembly and testing.
This is 3rd gear engaged.

DSCN1375.jpg

And this is 4th gear engaged. See the throw is really small. And Shifts with an Awesome mechanical clunk.

DSCN1376.jpg

After this succeded, i worked on to align the assembly, and the crude welds were done with. It has been rewelded with MIG welding, with a CNC cut 3mm Ms plate as base, and 12mm Ms rods as extenders. I also replaced all the bushes. The whole system is completely reversible anytime, in just about 2 hours. No body panels cut, no linkages modified, everything stock.
Feels good to be an engineer.[clap]

Last edited:
Thanks for the info I was looking for this from a long time.

But doesn't the ball assy look bad it has raised ? What if a console is fitted ?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
great work [thumbsup] do you have any pic in which we can compare how it looked before and after ? but i can see it look really good [:)] the actual look came after you installed the cover around the gear.

Thread Starter #8
The Benefit are the Short Throws. A Short Shifter is not a short looking shifter, though many do think that way, its a shifter that will give u short Throws when u change gears, resulting in quicker shifts.

Nice DIY dude. the real short shifter. Congrats.

BTW how about the space at bottom for the extended 2 inch's throw? (i mean the hole / cut out in the floor, what is the final clearance between the shift rod & floor panel?)

Awesome DIY, must be fun to drive now. I guess the length between the ball & the bottom most thing is what decides, the throw right? I mean larger the length between them results in shorter gear shifts?
What is the total cost of this DIY?

Thread Starter #11
Awesome DIY, must be fun to drive now. I guess the length between the ball & the bottom most thing is what decides, the throw right? I mean larger the length between them results in shorter gear shifts?
What is the total cost of this DIY?
Yes the length between the linkages and the ball is what decides the throw. But too short throw wont be fun, and linkages will wear out soon owing to high forces. Total cost should be about 600 bucks. Just make sure the materials and welds are pro. Change the bushes too.

yours is old model 800, in new model all the components are different even the ball in gear rod is also small. when i shortened the lever i took a new lever because i don't wanted to cut the original lever, ibought & cutted the new lever & when tried to install it the size of ball was big. so finally cutted the original lever.

Thread Starter #15
Yes mine is a 98. Type 2 carb. I did on the original coz i was sure of the desired output. :stupid:
Till today works fine and amazes me everytime.

Heres a Animation showing how it works.

bardi-acura-tsx-short-shifter-animation.gif

Last edited:

Top Bottom