Customizing Cheap SUV into Hummer – Worth It?

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

Well thread name tells most of story what i am going discuss with you guys .
After lot of thinking i went ahead asked one of the guy near my house who own large shop of modified cars .

I showed him these pic
Hummer_HX-concept_115_1024x768.jpg
Hummer_HX-concept_116_1024x768.jpg
Hummer_HX-concept_117_1024x768.jpg
Hummer_HX-concept_118_1024x768.jpg

And asked him. How much including car, he gave me 5L approx.

I asked him how do you know it will cost this match. He told me go inside check your self and i totally shocked to same looking car. I Just fall in love with it. He said once you finalised that you want to get it done then we can discuss more in detail which i am still confuse .

It has been 1week and my heart is still with that car . now i know how it will look in real world.
But now being total noob in car department .

What do you think guys ? should i go ahead :)
What things i should keep in mind while telling him my needs .

I know i want comfortable car as this car will travel on Road 80% and off - Road 20% .
Please share your thought .

Mod : I am very Sorry if i made it in wrong section

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Customizied Cheap SUV

Petrol?
Not many options availble except Maruti Gypsy ( i doubt, this small chasis would suit the big Hummer design above though..)

Diesel?
I think we can choose from Mahindra Armada & Commander Jeeps, Bolero and Trax

-Can you please post a pic of the car that you saw in the shop, if you got one.! We should get better idea.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Customizied Cheap SUV

Diesel one's are available in plenty at cheap rate

sierra/sumo/safari
mm540, 550
cj's
bolero/armada etc

petrol ones will be peppy to drive like the gypsy , but calculating the weight of sheets that is gonna be used , diesel is best

350Z

Core Team
Re: Customizing Cheap SUV – Worth It?

You were lucky to find a similar customized SUV at the workshop readily. Could you share some pictures for us too, and actually which car was that? If the estimated cost is falling somewhere around Rs.5 Lakhs (Including cost of Car), then this doesn’t sound a bad idea though, but please make sure that the workshop you are dealing with is reliable enough, and they know what they are doing. This is an interesting project. I have seen a Mahindra Scorpio customized as Hummer look alike. If you want, I can post some pictures but I will have to search my entire magazine collection for that.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #7
Re: Customizing Cheap SUV into Hummer – Worth It?

Petrol?
Not many options availble except Maruti Gypsy ( i doubt, this small chasis would suit the big Hummer design above though..)

Diesel?
I think we can choose from Mahindra Armada & Commander Jeeps, Bolero and Trax

-Can you please post a pic of the car that you saw in the shop, if you got one.! We should get better idea.
sorry i forgot to take pic of it but it was exactly same looking one . i will try to go this Saturday and take pic of it
ilango[speed thirst];67900 said:
Diesel one's are available in plenty at cheap rate

sierra/sumo/safari
mm540, 550
cj's
bolero/armada etc

petrol ones will be peppy to drive like the gypsy , but calculating the weight of sheets that is gonna be used , diesel is best
Ya i am bit confuse . He told me to choose between mahindra jeep or maruti gypsy as he think it will keep cost lower .

You were lucky to find a similar customized SUV at the workshop readily. Could you share some pictures for us too, and actually which car was that? If the estimated cost is falling somewhere around Rs.5 Lakhs (Including cost of Car), then this doesn’t sound a bad idea though, but please make sure that the workshop you are dealing with is reliable enough, and they know what they are doing. This is an interesting project. I have seen a Mahindra Scorpio customized as Hummer look alike. If you want, I can post some pictures but I will have to search my entire magazine collection for that.

Drive Safe,
350Z
as early i told i forgot to take pic [frustration] but it same looking one . Mahindra Scorpio into hummer you are talking about is the same person who did it . he has around 4 Hummer which has been converted from mahindra Scorpio even limo Hummer [evil] .

Thread Starter #8

Today while returning i took quick snap of that car i was talking about .
here look your self
its gypsy
2011-02-18 17.59.31.jpg

So what you say guys as this is smaller in length which would be helpful in parking it

now i have made this list i am thinking :tongue:
AC(its must thanks to Delhi summer )
Power steering
Electric side mirror (too lazy to adjust Manually ;) )
Good comfortable seats or make suspension bit soft (bit confuse )
Rear seat foldable so that i can carry max. amount of illegal goods like i use my safari [evil]
2Din HU and complete ICU

Any thing else i miss ?

Nice mod job , is definitely an eye catcher! But Gypsy with extra added weight what will be its FE with these increasing fuel prices??!!

I think its better going in with a diesel heart like Bolero or Sierra or Jeep.

Thread Starter #10
ya i am bit worried about FE as normal gypsy with CNG gives 15kmpl on 100% AC tested and approved by my friend who own 2004 gypsy .

any diesel car which can give FE around 13-15kmpl

wow man! thats simply excellent job. [clap] if you have money. its worth doing it but keep it original and dont put those hummer logo and all. FE..well i guess it might go down to some margin but cant you compromise it? [:D]

MasterSquall,

Would you mind sharing few more pics ?

I just love the car , But few suggestions from My end.

To give more meaner look, I would recommend to lower the height of roof.

And dont worry about FE. Just check the Odo readings if its there.

Take the vehicle out for a spin.

Get your mechanic friend (if needed) & check the conditions of engine.

If everything is fine, then do a BG check for car & once RC & other stuffs are clear, this is worth buying for the price quoted!!

Thread Starter #13

wow man! thats simply excellent job. [clap] if you have money. its worth doing it but keep it original and dont put those hummer logo and all. FE..well i guess it might go down to some margin but cant you compromise it? [:D]
well i was planning to buy gypsy because of work(wanted small car which can carry lot of heavy item )then thought why not modify it and then use it .
well that's why i have created this thread . Before i make mistake make this car look more worst i thought why not discuss with my fellow TAI members
MasterSquall,

Would you mind sharing few more pics ?

I just love the car , But few suggestions from My end.

To give more meaner look, I would recommend to lower the height of roof.

And dont worry about FE. Just check the Odo readings if its there.

Take the vehicle out for a spin.

Get your mechanic friend (if needed) & check the conditions of engine.

If everything is fine, then do a BG check for car & once RC & other stuffs are clear, this is worth buying for the price quoted!!
i don't mind sharing pic if i had more pic it .i will try to take today more picof it . i took that pic in hurry as i have catch another person he was making fool of me from three months by delaying my payment .
About roof i don't think so its possible i am bit tall guy :P

Actually i am too late another person has already paid him . So he will take 3months to build mine . if i tell him now .
So about gypsy i am thinking of buying my self then give him to modify it .

ok guys few update .
while coming from CP .I went to sardarji he is also famous in modification so i asked him how much for this modification . he said he will take 4L[surprise]. he showed me few pic of gypsy he had modified . But then his workshop is in gurgaon means hard for me to go and see how the works going on .

compare to current one which is just 3KM away from my home

another mood is autopsyche which is also in gurgaon . there price is also 5L around

SO what do you think guys

Last edited:
Apart from your 3Km Mod shop & the guy in Gurgoan, everyone knows Autopsyche for their works they have done.

They are the best. If they quote the same price, then buy an Gypsy & give it to them.

Oh if Autopsyche promises to give something like in 5Lakhs then go ahead with them! Have seen lots of cars modified by them and must say they are real professionals!

Top Bottom