Custom Painting Car Interiors / Dashboard Panels To Wood Finish

Thread Starter #1
Im a great fan of wooden finish interiors, and always wanted to custom-dip my Esteem panels in Faux wood

It all started this way -

i was searching for some good pics of car interiors when i stumbled upon some forums where some members there had custom painted their panels in fake wood finish.

To be honest just for the wood finish sake i wanted to join the forum and get the contacts, but my application never got through, i never tried again (Trust me they lost one good automotive enthusiast) . Im a proud member of TAI now ! [:D] Thanks TAI !

Well , i never was able to get those contacts and i almost gave up. Once when i was having a casual talk with the painter he said he will try it for me and will not charge me if at all he got it wrong since was doing this for the first time .
I asked him to make the complete plastic interiors to beige and paint the console, door handles in faux wood

The door handles will have the top half in wooden finish and the bottom half in the color of the upholstery (beige in my case) to add to the looks i will put a chrome sticker in between the partition

He wanted a sample wooden article for him to match the color, so hunted for one and got this - can't spot the difference at all !

Gear Knob.JPG

Im great fan of wood finish interiors ! happy that this came out well [clap], and the best part is the painter did this for the first time !

XYZ Forum !!!!!! My answer to wood finish !

Last edited:

350Z

Core Team
Re: Custom Painting Car Interiors / Dashboard Panels To Wood Finish / Faux Wood

Im a great fan of wooden finish interiors, and always wanted to custom-dip my Esteem panels in Faux wood
I like wooden finish too. Just for information, there are two kinds of aftermarket solutions available:

> Autographix Stickers (Cost cheap but look nice).

> Panel inserts (Direct fit in place of stock panels).

Im great fan of wood finish interiors ! happy that this came out well, and the best part is the painter did this for the first time !
The result has come out amazingly well. How much did he charge? Would love to check out some images of the car with these fitted.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
I like wooden finish too. Just for information, there are two kinds of aftermarket solutions available:

> Autographix Stickers (Cost cheap but look nice).
> Panel inserts (Direct fit in place of stock panels).
I tried sourcing these at first, but didn't find them anywhere then went for the paint option, mine is a type 1 Esteem so apparently no company manufactured the stickers for it

The result has come out amazingly well. How much did he charge? Would love to check out some images of the car with these fitted.
Thanks 350Z

I will post the pics after the fittings are done

The cost of painting was 4000/- which included
+4 handles
+console box
+
Beige/black combo for dashboard
+
A,B,C Pillar Trims
+
Seat plastic trims
+gear box console
+Door trims

I am also a fan of wood finish.
I loved the gear knob .I am willing to get it for my manza .please help me.

@ 350 z , please elaborate on wood finish .This is least discussed topic on internet. I want to change atleast the' vanila beige ' fabric inserts of door to wood finish earliest.

Thread Starter #5
I am also a fan of wood finish.
I loved the gear knob .I am willing to get it for my manza .please help me.
They are widely available on the internet (i first saw it on DealExtreme - Cool Gadgets at the Right Price - DX Free Shipping Worldwide) for 450/- INR, but i found them in the car accessories shop for a cheaper rate (Rs 250/-).

Just take a picture of the knob and show it to the shopkeeper he will get it for you if not available, it is available in two combos i.e Black/Wood, Beige/Wood

Last edited:
I think the plastic parts were painted first and then "polished" just as same we do with MDF boards for home carpentry...

Please correct me if I am wrong.

n thats a gorgeous looking gear knob!!!

Thread Starter #8
I think the plastic parts were painted first and then "polished" just as same we do with MDF boards for home carpentry...
Its just the normal paint and and gloss lacquer over that.

Co-incidentally i had done research on this polish for the job but when it is as easy as painting why spend on polish and all, the polish treatment its costly too

Thread Starter #11
agreed..altho i dont know the cost it would take to apply the lacquer paint
All cars after painting are sprayed with a lacquer, its also called as a clear coat. Its a common process of painting

Some more pictures of the gear knob to drool over ! from www.DX.com, it has a nice package too to gift

i got the identical one from the car accessory shop, even the packing was identical

Attachments

Last edited:
I do not like thin sticker type wood finish, they look cheap IMO.
I have posted photographs of door fabric inserts.Being vanila beige , they become dirty within no time .First I thought to remove them and get leather inserted there.But stanley man declined to do so.
Now is it possible to replace it with wood finish? If yes , suggest the color which can complement the background.

Attachments

@Tornado: Buddy, i dont think the Faux wood finish would look good on that huge area. I am surprised to know that Stanley refused to do the job. IMO the leather job would look the best.

Thread Starter #14
Doing the whole fabric insert would not look good, moreover Wood panels and beige are the best combination in IMO, the area where there is plastic (Power window switches) are the places in which you can do the custom paint, i have marked the pic in a red circle for you to understand

For the fabric part leather is the best option, im surprised why stanley didn't do it, why don't you check at Karlson's ?

Which car is this by the way

Attachments

Last edited:
My accsesories shop owners showed me the album of leather samples of stanley first then he enquired with them,after 10 days he told me that stanley have refused.

BTW, elaborate on karlson.
.I am from Pune.

Top Bottom