Custom Painting Car Interiors / Dashboard Panels To Wood Finish

Thread Starter #16
BTW, elaborate on karlson.
.I am from Pune.
Karlson's leather is again a premium leather company and are second to stanley, the price is premium itself but a lot lesser that Stanley and they do a very good job too. You can visit their official website for more details, i doubt its availability in Pune, sorry didnt see your location. Any how have a check once
Home

email-id - contact@karlssonleather.in

Phn No. - +91-80-25216394
Also some links where fellow members have done their upholstery at Karlson's

http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...arts/1783-leather-seating-my-honda-civic.html

Last edited:
I do not like thin sticker type wood finish, they look cheap IMO.
I have posted photographs of door fabric inserts.Being vanila beige , they become dirty within no time .First I thought to remove them and get leather inserted there.But stanley man declined to do so.
Now is it possible to replace it with wood finish? If yes , suggest the color which can complement the background.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ura-9-months-20k-kms-ownership-review-12.html
I have done it with leather , the shop was suggested by 3M people, details available at my ownership thread.

DIY for wooden dashboard & Center console on Maruti 800

Hi,Friends
Since so many days I was planning to do DIY for Wooden dashboard,
I have started from centre console today as I was not sure enough about the work (so better to start with smaller parts)

What you need
1) Wooden floor paper (Carpet)
2) Synthetic rubber adhesive like Fevicol SR 505.
3) Thin grit sandpaper - for sanding dashboard surface
3) Brush - to apply adhesive
4) Sharp blade & Scissors - for cutting carpet.
5) Isopropyl Alcohol - to remove oil & grease from dashboard surface.

How to proceed
1) Clean the dashboard to remove dirt
2) Clean all surfaces of your dashboard thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol and a clean
towel to facilitate adhesion.Oil, grease and dirt will all keep the adhesive from sticking
properly to the dashboard.
3) You will need to sand (very little sanding) the dashboard with sandpaper.(only the part where you want to apply wooden paper) before you apply gum on surface.
4) Apply thin layers of adhesive on both dashboard and paper and leave it for drying 5 minutes before pasting.(See the instructions on adhesive container)
5) Paste the paper slowly beginning from one side. (like applying scrath guard on mobile screen) and use a clean cloth to press the paper to dashboard.

To give glossy touch to wooden part (Wood finished carpet) I have used varnish.
Before that I have consulted shopkeeper from whom I have purchased wooden carpet for better option then varnish.But he was also in cofused state of mind.
I also enquired about varnish & its safety on carpet - he told there should not be any problem with carpet.
So I made trial on a piece of wooden carpet.I took a small piece of carpet & applied varnish on it & kept it to dry for 4 days.
There was no change in the color of carpet & result was satisfactory.
So I applied it on final product on dashboard.
Lets hope,this look of my dashboard remains for longer time.
I post some pics of work done[clap]

Attachments

Im a great fan of wooden finish interiors, and always wanted to custom-dip my Esteem panels in Faux wood

It all started this way -

i was searching for some good pics of car interiors when i stumbled upon some forums where some members there had custom painted their panels in fake wood finish.

To be honest just for the wood finish sake i wanted to join the forum and get the contacts, but my application never got through, i never tried again (Trust me they lost one good automotive enthusiast) . Im a proud member of TAI now ! [:D] Thanks TAI !

Well , i never was able to get those contacts and i almost gave up. Once when i was having a casual talk with the painter he said he will try it for me and will not charge me if at all he got it wrong since was doing this for the first time .
I asked him to make the complete plastic interiors to beige and paint the console, door handles in faux wood

The door handles will have the top half in wooden finish and the bottom half in the color of the upholstery (beige in my case) to add to the looks i will put a chrome sticker in between the partition

He wanted a sample wooden article for him to match the color, so hunted for one and got this - can't spot the difference at all !

View attachment 73613

Im great fan of wood finish interiors ! happy that this came out well [clap], and the best part is the painter did this for the first time !

XYZ Forum !!!!!! My answer to wood finish !

Where can I get this done in Bangalore?

images (1).jpeg

I don't like the beige colour scheme on dashboard in elite i20, where as i20 active gets an full black interior with red inserts.
I also plan to do the same, and thinking of spray paint it home. Anyone has any idea, how to do it ? And what are the precautions and procedures.
images.jpeg

Top Bottom