cSUV, Mid-Sedan Under Rs.12L

Thread Starter #1
Greetings,

I am looking out to trade my SX4 ZXi (2010) for a new compact SUV or mid-size sedan within a budget of 12 lakhs (all inclusive).

Why change?
- Need to have Automatic Transmission to relieve my left foot off it's duties; it has taken a lot of traffic pain. Also, my wife will find it more convenient to drive an AT.
- Existing car is doing good. I took a few test drives lately. Honestly, it's hard to find something worthy of replacing this beast. But, it's time.

Looking for?
- Automatic Transmission(mandate)
- Touch screen with navigation and reverse parking camera (mandate)
- Ground clearance, height, decent boot space, well built, planted, heavy duty tyres (owned SX4 past 7 years, hence the expectation)
- Decent initial and mid-range response (SX4 was too good at initial torque, but suffered at mid and high-range. Hope to recover from that now)
- Decent knee room at front and rear
- Would prefer to have hill-assist, 16+ alloy, auto-climate, retractable OVRM etc.
- Prefer petrol, though open to both

Any shortlists?
1. Hyundai Venue S 1.0 DCT (Rs. 11.3 Lakhs on-road Bangalore, plus upgrade to 16" Alloy, Touchscreen w/ navigation)
- Liked: Responsive peppy drive with 1.0 litre turbo. Decent features. Looks appealing from front, though appears compact from behind.
- Disliked: Rear seat and luggage space, but can be managed. Need upgrade to touchscreen and alloys. Also, a crucial selling point feature missing out from SX+ - BlueLink. Doesn't look SUV-ish from side and rear.
2. Ford EcoSport Trend+ AT (11.8 Lakhs) (variant discontinued recently, AT now only with Titanium+, clever move by Ford. Still trying to get an old model, next to impossible though).
- Liked: Decent drive, though not as peppy as turbo petrols. Stylish SUV looks, height, good-to-have features, and most importantly the heavy solid build.
- Disliked: Discontinued. Rear seating space not enough for 3 adults. AT available only on high-end now.
3. Honda Jazz VX AT (10.9 Lakhs on-road BLR) (Not considering hatchbacks, but this one looks fabulous both inside out, so could not resist checking it out)
- Liked: Premium rich finish inside-out. Feature packed being the top-end in budget. Seating space. Luggage space decent for 4M hatch (same as Venue). Smooth engine and decent transmission.
- Disliked: Lacks the punch in drive (89bhp 1.2 Ltr Petrol). No hill-assist even in top-end. No 16" alloy in top spec.
4. Suzuki Ciaz Delta AT (12.2 Lakhs on-road BLR, plus upgrade Alloy 16". Maruti has discounts so would fix in budget)
- Liked: Decent interior, very spacious, comfortable, excellent leg room and boot space, probably best in class. The "luxury big-car" appearance and feel. Good to have features provided in Delta as well, including hill-hold assist.
- Disliked: Terrible driving experience. Poor steering response. Decent low end response, but lazy engine and transmission beyond, gets noisy on high revs. And what's with this 4-speed torque converter for a mid-sedan? Nexa guys were not able to demo all features well.
5. Toyota Yaris J CVT(12.2 Lakhs on-road BLR. No test drive yet so not sure about engine.)
- Liked: Toyota
- Disliked: Very basic variant, most of the features missed. Packed one goes beyond 15 Lakhs. Top end is 17+.

Other options I did not consider for certain reasons - Nexon, XUV300, Brezza etc. Also test drove Honda City AT (14.8 Lakhs, V AT). It is worth every penny, but I don't have that much penny's.

Seeking more views, feedbacks and suggestions. Thanks.

Enjoy~!

Out of your choices Honda Jazz AT should be good for your needs. Especially in BLR traffic mid size sedan would be cumbersome to ride and park.

With infamous speed breakers in consideration you can check WRV as well not sure if it is available in AT.

Throwing one more option of i20 AT I would recommend it as best all round car with better ergonomics and ride.

Cheers !!

SG

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Increase your budget by 1 lakh and get the Verna sx plus automatic. You will get , alloy wheels , touchscreen, rear parking camera, push button start, projector headlamps with DRLs And a SUNROOF too.

Do have a look at Marazzo, it misses some features, but the M4 8 seater variant fits in your budget.
Overall it's a nicely built car.
BTW, it's a MPV which you are not looking for.
I would also suggest increasing the budget a bit and look for Verna SX+ Automatic.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
@THE_DRIFTER Automatic transmission is mandate for my need. Marazzo doesn't come with one, moreover didn't really like it. Verna SX+ is about 14.7 Lakhs in Bangalore which is way beyond my budget.

So my only option in compact SUV is Venue S DCT. But it's the lower automatic variant which misses out the prime attraction of this car - blue link, touch screen nav, 215 R16 diamond cut alloys, sun roof. Also, most cSUV's lack the amount of space and comfort that I currently have with my ride.

Narrowing down to New Ciaz 2018 Delta AT which fits in. Has all my needs with slight compromise on engine response in highways. Have to add 16" Alloys, Touch Screen Infotainment, chrome garnish etc.

Any Ciaz user here - Need some suggestions on mods.

1. If I buy this, I plan to upgrade existing Delta model's 15" Alloys (185/65) to alpha variant's specs 16" (195/55). This needs both tyre and alloy upgrade.
2. Upgrade normal 2-din music to touchscreen infotainment with reverse parking and gps.

I spoke to one after market shop, for Alloy + tyre upgrade, he quoted about 40-45k (with exchange). No much clue on infotainment yet. Should I go with Maruti, or aftermarket? In case of typre/Alloy, I may drive out of showroom which can hit the exchange rate.

Thread Starter #9
I am surprised your List does not have Nexon AMT and XUV 300.
Did not have a very pleasant after sales experience owning a Tata and Mahindra earlier. Hence, mentioned them 'not considered' in my post. They may have improved now, but I will go with instincts to maintain peace of mind. [glasses]

Top Bottom