Crash Test Ratings By Govt. Car Assessment Programs

Thread Starter #31

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Latin NCAP: Volkswagen Tiguan, Jetta Score 5 Stars, India-Made Figo Scores 4 Stars

The Tiguan scored 5 stars in Euro NCAP crash tests as well

The results of the latest round of Latin NCAP (New Car Assessment Program) crash test are out and Volkswagen Tiguan SUV along with Volkswagen Jetta sedan has scored 5 stars each. The Latin NCAP also crash tested the India-made Ford Figo and it received a 4 star rating. In case of the Tiguan and the Jetta, both cars are manufactured at Volkswagen's plant in Puebla, Mexico while the Figo is assembled in India and exported to Latin America. The Tiguan not only got 5 stars but also received awards for outstanding pedestrian protection and automatic emergency braking by Latin NCAP. The Tiguan features seat belt warnings along, 6 airbags and its bodywork proved to be stable upon impact as well.

gt6ma07c_jetta-latin-ncap_625x300_27_September_19.jpg

(The VW Jetta sold in Latin America, is manufactured in Puebla, Mexico)

(The India-made Ford Figo scored 4 stars in Latin NCAP crash tests)

Read:

Thread Starter #32

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Indian cars manufactured in 2019 crash tested by Global NCAP

Crash tests conducted by Global NCAP have turned out to be an eye opener, prompting automakers to improve their safety features. Efforts by the agency have also resulted in upgrade of norms related to car safety, as mandated by the government.

As several new cars have been launched with updated safety features, Global NCAP will soon be publishing results of crash tests conducted on new cars and updated models.

9.jpg

Read:

Thread Starter #33

Nairrk

Honoured Member
New Renault Duster crash test safety rating is 4 star – Video

80.jpg

The latest iteration of Renault Duster (marketed under Dacia brand in some international markets) which is manufactured in Colombia, Brazil and Romania scored 4-stars for adult occupant safety in the recent round of Latin NCAP crash tests. The popular low-cost crossover managed to score 3-stars for child occupant safety.

Read:

Ertiga Scores 3 Stars
Wagon R Scores 2 Stars
Santro 2 Stars
Redigo 1 Star.

Ertiga is mighty safe now. people will now flock to buy this ultra safe car.
On a serious note, Wonder why Indians don't take safety as a primary parameter of choosing car. Does mileage and feature weigh over safety?

Thread Starter #36

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Maruti Suzuki Wagon R Gets 2 Star Crash Test Rating

After a strong showing in the last round of crash tests, Maruti Suzuki once again finds itself in the dock on vehicle safety. Fresh results from crash tests of Indian made cars by safety watchdog Global NCAP see the Maruti Suzuki Wagon R scoring just 2 Stars for adult occupant safety. The car has also received only 2 Stars for child occupant protection. The Wagon R's body shell integrity has been rated as 'Unstable' as well. The Wagon R has received a score of only 6.93 from a possible 17 in adult occupant protection. The test showed that the car's front seatbelt pretensioners did not operate es required, causing severe potential injuries to the chest and knee area of the crash test dummies. The Wagon R s foot well area has also been rated as unstable eas a result of possible knee and ankle related injuries.

Read:
++

Datsun redi-GO Gets 1 Star Crash Test Score

The Datsun redi-GO has scored one star in the latest Global NCAP crash tests of Indian made cars. The 2019 tests saw the redi-GO marginally improve the tally of its sibling - the GO, which had scored zero stars. The redi-GO got 1 star for adult protection, though the score could have been higher had there been better protection for the driver's chest area. On child occupant protection the redi-GO did better with a two star rating. But yet again the score could have been a lot higher had the redi-GO offered rear seatbelts with pretensioners and ISOFIX child seat anchors. Speaking to carandbike, Alejandro Furas, Technical Director, Global NCAP said, "Static 3-point rear seatbelts are unacceptable in 2020. The same is true for having no ISOFIX (child seat anchors). This resulted in head contact for rear passengers in the test."

Read:

Thread Starter #37

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Maruti Suzuki Ertiga Receives 3 Stars From Global NCAP

jhphok4g_maruti-suzuki-ertiga_625x300_31_October_19.jpg

The much celebrated and in demand Maruti Suzuki Ertiga has scored reasonably well in a crash test by Global NCAP. The Ertiga is in its second generation, that arrived last year. The new car brought not just better space utilisation and huge improvements in design, but also better build quality and features - over the first gen. The Indian made model was also expected to be much safer than the previous car as the new crash and safety regulations had kicked in before its launch.

Read:

++

Hyundai Santro Crash Tested, Scores 2 Stars

0817lnq8_hyundai-santro_625x300_31_October_19.jpg

The Hyundai Santro nameplate holds a huge place in the hearts of many Indian car buyers. The car was brought back to the Indian market with much fanfare at the end of 2018, in its second generation, to replace the Eon. The Santro has been crash tested by Global NCAP in the latest round of safety tests by the global safety watchdog. It has scored 2 Stars for Adult and child protection.

Read:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Ertiga Scores 3 Stars
Wagon R Scores 2 Stars
Santro 2 Stars
Redigo 1 Star.

On a serious note, Wonder why Indians don't take safety as a primary parameter of choosing car. Does mileage and feature weigh over safety?
Thanks for the update bro. Your query is legitimate but the reply to this always leads to an unending debate. I don't see Ertiga's 3 star as a blessing or something infact as I see it, Ertiga is a reliable car but lesser in terms of safety if compared to MSIL's Brezza. What stopped MSIL to make it safe just like Brezza?

Bloody Mary...
Whoops, God bless Maruti Suzuki, Hyundai and Datsun customers, you pay for these tin cans with your hard earned money, and risk your family lives.
Sir, I still remember what you had said about owning a previous gen-Wagon R and it's built quality. So, accordingly these result of new Wagon R too don't seem to be surprising.

Now, even before the crash test results had been published, I had spoken about the importance of the crash tests of Indian Hatchbacks and MSIL's history in NCAP tests w.r.t their hatchbacks. Quoting my words again from S-presso Thread.

Seeing the history of Maruti Suzuki hatchbacks and some other cars in NCAP tests it becomes all the more important to know how safe is it. Lets not forget, the structure of the car plays an equally important role along with the safety gadgets.
there isn't any other brand in auto sector here who has failed as miserably as MSIL in NCAP tests. Agreed MSIL makes reliable cars but at cost of compromising the safety (at least structure wise if not on safety feature).
It is not wrong to seek the safety crash test report when we all know how have the MSIL hatchbacks (India model) have scored in crash tests previously.
Actually, till now there isn't a official benchmark of build quality in entry level hatchbacks but yes cars like Tiago definitely have up-ed the build quality. It is therefore very much necessary to test the entry level hatchbacks sold here at NCAP programs because they are the most popular segment in India.
Speaking of Datsun & Hyundai, the former is on the edge of being closed. Even the change in Management(read Ex-Hyundai boss joining Nissan) couldn't help much to improve on this aspect. Datsun and Nissan have too much on their plate to look at probably. Sales going down, after sales not very efficient, no exciting future plans, lack of profits and the overall market condition here.

As far as Hyundai is concerned, to be honest, seeing their urge to give a well-rounded product in terms of Santro, a passenger airbag as standard would have been a icing on the cake knowing that they were relaunching an iconic brand.

Regards
Akash

Frankly, I had never expected any Maruti car to get any respectable rating in GNCAP. Brezza some how managed to get a respectable 4 star rating and I am scratching my brains how did Maruti give a safe car. They have then gone back to their old ways of providing high featured reliable tin cans. 2 stars, 1 star are norm for them. Ertiga somehow surprised me with 3 star rating.

Well MSIL nailed it by giving out a press release, which reads something like this:
As per our own internal survey, all our customers who are first time car owners have found Maruti to be far safer than their previous two wheelers.'
I don't know what to say, still scratching my head[gun]

Thread Starter #42

Nairrk

Honoured Member
I feel, most of the Maruti customers are not much worried about these star ratings. They mainly look for the price, fuel economy and easily available service centres. Maruti has been successful in providing all these 3 things to their customers.

However, I think, now things will change and a few already looking at these safety features !

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I don't know why safety is being discussed. Obviously most Indians don't care about safety. Three- four people on bikes without helmet , wrong side driving , 7-8 people in a hatchback. My 3 friends own BMW , Mercedes and Audi. These are safe According to you right ? All 3 of them have a fake seatbelt Buckle installed to avoid the seatbelt warning noise.

We car enthusiasts and some small % of people care about safety. A guy wearing seatbelt in an alto is far more safer than my friend's BMW.
So no point in discussing manufacturer's thinking in providing sub par safety levels.

All but disappointment as far as Maruti is concerned. I wonder why, except for Brezza with 4 stars, other cars from their stable perform badly in crash tests. Why can't they replicate it to others cars. And on a side note, I also wonder how Brezza scored 4 star rating. [;)]

All but disappointment as far as Maruti is concerned. I wonder why, except for Brezza with 4 stars, other cars from their stable perform badly in crash tests. Why can't they replicate it to others cars. And on a side note, I also wonder how Brezza scored 4 star rating. [;)]
even bigwigs in Suzuki must be thinking what cost cutting measures they have missed in brezza. they may do that in future iterations.

Top Bottom