Coverage: New Hyundai Tucson Launched @ ₹18.99 Lakh

Status
Not open for further replies.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Drove the car today and it was amazing. The petrol didn't feel underpowered at all. The gear shifts were smooth and you can only notice the shifts by looking at the rpm[:D]
Drove in city only at low speeds.
Music system is good. Elantra's is nowhere near the tucson's.
Big ORVM are really good. The irvm seemed useless.
Will upload more pics next time in day light. Photos don't do justice to this car. Has good road presence plus this really seems like a premium suv. The seats are really comfortable especially at the rear which also has reclining feature.
His daily use is on highway so I am expecting it to give atleast 10 kmpl.
Its a tad overpriced and a Sunroof would have made the car complete.

Attachments

There's only one annoying bit in the car so far. It's the lock/unlock sound. A very loud, piercing, shrill beep which is nowhere as good as the horn.
Second, the rear passengers miss out on a power socket that should have been placed near the AC vents. Even my Ciaz has that!

The rear interiors do feel under-equipped although they aren't.. but a lot of people, even my dad for instance, feel that the car isn't worth it's price as the interiors are dull... Only the front passengers know how brilliant the car is [;)]

Also, the selection of drive modes could have been on a rotary nob on the center console, I personally felt the buttons were quite low for my uncle's as well as my seating position and the ones like hill hold, should have been placed a bit higher...

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Agreed with the lock unlock sound. It's indeed irritating. He will ask the advisor if it can be turned off or not at the first service.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
I guess you have the top end diesel ? Yeah please update what your advisor says.

Is the first service at 5k ? Usually it's 2500 kms.
My friend was really pissed when he got to know their is no top end petrol but a model below that. He sorely missed the auto boot button [lol] not that he will be using the boot but he really loved the feature he saw on video review.

I guess you have the top end diesel ? Yeah please update what your advisor says.

My friend was really pissed when he got to know their is no top end petrol but a model below that. He sorely missed the auto boot button [lol] not that he will be using the boot but he really loved the feature he saw on video review.
Yes, we have the GLS variant in diesel and yeah the auto boot is quite fun an option ��
You should drive the diesel and see. It's the quietest diesel I've been in.
Since I don't have my license as yet I've only rode shotgun in the Tucson. I can still say the car's ultra stable at high speeds.. Overtakes are a breeze....
The auto boot function is very gentle... And it locks up with a light knock to confirm the same.
It has sensors so you don't get the knock instead...

Well my uncle's taken the car out on a long trip to the western ghats... I couldn't go thanks to exams.
Infact, the car's MID holds the distance to the next service
I shall try and find out as sooon as the car's back in town

Last edited:

My friend was really pissed when he got to know their is no top end pevtrol but a model below that. He sorely missed the auto boot button [lol] not that he will be using the boot but he really loved the feature he saw on video review.
Hey! Why didn't your friend get the diesel? It's absolutely quiet in the cabin... I mean, you just hear the car at high RPMs, and when it starts... Very quiet and smooth ride quality.

kkn13

Suspended
Friend has booked the GL AT petrol variant. Delivery in 20 days and OTR price around 25 lakhs.
Why petrol if I may ask
Itll depreciate much faster and will be difficult to sell in the used market
I also owned a CR-V 2007 but Im now looking at the Diesel Tucson AT, Endeavour and the X1 atm

And some questions for the owners-
- Is the light steering good for highway speeds? We are used to hydraulic units of the Innova, CR-V and Ritz but if its close to the steering handling of the Honda City IVTEC, its still good
I test drove the diesel top end variant and was impressed but my dad has these concerns. Didnt get to push it to high speeds thanks to traffic :(

- Is headunit good enough? Is it responsive enough? Any grievances

- Anyone driven both BMW X1/X3 and Tucson? Any comparisons? Ive driven all but I wanted a second opinion ;)
I found X1 poor on underthigh support at the back and its poorly equiped, no reverse camera and front parking sensors

- I found the car very German-like given its designed by an ex-Audi engineer , does anyone else feel the same way?

Basically I want a second opinion since this might be our next car soon

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Re: Coverage: New Hyundai Tucson Launched @ Rs.18.99 Lakh

Why isn't it a six/seven seater at this price but it has the new 2.0 engine which is worth the price. But then hyundai should have launched it as a seven seater as they already have Creta for five seater. Even though Santa fe is a seven seater (5 +2 child/short adults) but at this price hyundai should have given an option to the indian market to see a rapid sales that too in this period.

I think only the elantra owners or buyers would prefer the Tucson much than any other car buyer. And some creta long term owners too.
Santa Fe last row itself is claustrophobic and unusable like most other 3rd rows
Only 2-3 cars probably have a proper third row without compromising
Tucson is meant to be an urban crossover not a full size SUV

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ dolphin , kkn
He bought the petrol because of the ongoing diesel ban in delhi. His dad doesn't think much for the resale but he was reluctant for the diesel in fear of any future rules against diesel.
I told my friend before hand that you are paying 25 now but you will get around 8-10 after 5 years. He sold his Laura diesel for 2.4 lakhs after 7 years (paid around 17-18 back then)
Another factor was 5 lakhs more for the diesel variant.
He actually finalised the top end elantra petrol but because of bad roads to his work he finalised this.

About the steering - you will get used to it but it's not scary at all. And touch is awesome without any lag.

@ dolphin , kkn
He bought the petrol because of the ongoing diesel ban in delhi. His dad doesn't think much for the resale but he was reluctant for the diesel in fear of any future rules against diesel.
I told my friend before hand that you are paying 25 now but you will get around 8-10 after 5 years. He sold his Laura diesel for 2.4 lakhs after 7 years (paid around 17-18 back then)
Another factor was 5 lakhs more for the diesel variant.
He actually finalised the top end elantra petrol but because of bad roads to his work he finalised this.

About the steering - you will get used to it but it's not scary at all. And touch is awesome without any lag.
Oh no! The diesel ban in Delhi is a big pain.. well maintained high end diesels are selling for peanuts!

Resale wasn't really kept in mind while purchasing the car, it performed too well during the test drive.

@kkn,

The steering is very responsive at high speeds, combined with almost no body roll at all (We did do speeds of 154 once. There was no traffic and I had to attend my paternal uncle's death)

Only the brakes need a bit of understanding,

They need a slight push. They don't give a jerky bite, but are very strong.

Since we've been used to the Swift and Ciaz's brakes, which are too sensitive for my liking, we had to understand the Tucson's ... But trust me brakes are very linear and there's complete confidence instilled.

Another noteworthy point is that the sheet metal thickness of the Tucson is just amazing.. all panels from doors, boot and hood are very heavy.

Very impressed with the Tucson's build quality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it seems Hyundai decided to bow down to good sense after all & will be offering the AWD version in India. But the price will remain in the Utopian range, as per their release on the sides of the launch - "Coming to the pricing, the Hyundai Tucson 4X4 (AWD) will be priced a notch higher than the regular 2WD (two-wheel drive) models. Prices of this new variant could fall between Rs 26 lakh – Rs 27 lakh (ex-showroom)." Enough said!

The current segment box-office king-of-the-hill, the XUV 500, retails for Rs 17.82 lakhs ex-showroom (W10 AWD).
A difference of Rs.10 lakh - worth it? Really? With all the bells & whistles?

kkn13

Suspended
Oh no! The diesel ban in Delhi is a big pain.. well maintained high end diesels are selling for peanuts!

Resale wasn't really kept in mind while purchasing the car, it performed too well during the test drive.

@kkn,

The steering is very responsive at high speeds, combined with almost no body roll at all (We did do speeds of 154 once. There was no traffic and I had to attend my paternal uncle's death)

Only the brakes need a bit of understanding,

They need a slight push. They don't give a jerky bite, but are very strong.

Since we've been used to the Swift and Ciaz's brakes, which are too sensitive for my liking, we had to understand the Tucson's ... But trust me brakes are very linear and there's complete confidence instilled.

Another noteworthy point is that the sheet metal thickness of the Tucson is just amazing.. all panels from doors, boot and hood are very heavy.

Very impressed with the Tucson's build quality.
You are right about braking
My Ritz brakes were too jerky and too strong
ANHC fares better here, very gradual and yet powerful

I found Tucson very German like in terms of build
Maybe its because its designed by an Ex - Audi guy
I think we might end up buying Diesel GLS Tucson only
ticks all the right boxes except for slighly lighter steering but you have re assured me on that front [:)]

kkn13

Suspended
BTW @i-dsi dlophin , could you kindly share a video of the lock/unlock sound which so many people are complaining about?
I TDed twice and forgot to check it out(car was brought to my house, so didnt get to hear :( )
Saw tonnes of people complaining about this on other forums too and was a bit concerned

Heard it can be disconnected in LHS side of bonnet or something
Also is the horn dual tone like the German makes? I (shockingly[lol]) didnt honk during my TDs
I know Creta comes with one , just wanted to confirm (not that its a deal breaker)

Hopefully booking GLS AT diesel soon
My family was too caught up in the last few months, will get back to our car buying process from next week

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Bottom