Correct Position Of Holding Steering Wheel?

Re: Correct Position to Hold Steering Wheel?

Actually,once one learned to drive a vehicle,I think these holding positions no longer a necessity.I have seen in kolkata experienced drivers control steering in one hand and use other on gear. Certainly they have learned to control vehicle in one hand.[This method is quite helpful where frequent gear shifting is a necessity]
Very true....i always keep my left hand in gear knob and controlling car with right hand and i am quite comfortable with this posture.

The traditional method is to have your hands at 10 and 2 o'clock position. However, this was changed to 3 and 9 o'clock position to protect drivers arms from the airbag in case of an accident.

Personally I find 3 and 9 position more comfortable, especially during gear changes, where only one hand is on the wheel.

I am more comfortable by controlling the car with right hand(just below right spoke in my fluidic verna) and rest my left hand on the gear knob especially for city drive. On highways, i wil hold on 9 - 3 positions which feels comfortable and gives better control.

i am holding steering at 9-3 position and while changing gear my right hand grip reaches 12 position and left hand on gear knob, i found this helps maintaining cars stability on road.

jettasam

Suspended
I don't know why, but I mostly use 9 and 12 position of the steering wheel clock position while driving. It makes me feel somehow confident.

Driving tips on various sites not only recommends using 9 & 3 o'clock position on steering wheel but also to move hands from 9 to 12 (3 to 6) o'clock & reposition hands turn by turn to 9 & 3 position, till desired turn made (shuffle steering), rather than to cross hands on steering (full turning hands with steering wheel). This advises mainly given to prevent hand injury while airbag deployment in time of accident.

So during slow traffic driving, one can use the whatever comfortable steering position [;)], as during this phase, no or minimal chances of airbag deployment even if something bad happen.

Now with electronic buttons on steering wheel, new peculiar thing that happen to me is inadvertently this buttons get pressed in long steering wheel turn & also horn is difficult to press as buttons come in between when I hold steering wheel at standard 3 & 9 positions. So many a times, I am driving with RH on steering wheel & LH on gear stick, or RH over horn & LH at 9 o'clock position.

Last edited:
'10 and 2' No Longer Safe Way To Hold Steering Wheel

It advocates the use of the 9 3 position instead of the old 10 2 position as modern cars come equip with air bags.If the steering is held in the 10 2 position and in case of air bag deployment the drivers hands would come in the way of air bags and can get flung around. The ARIA has a driver air bag equipped with it and i guess i was holding the steering the wrong way. Since more and more Indian cars are coming equipped with air bags as standard i would advise TAI MEMBERS to use the 9 3 position

Attachments

AMG

Suspended
Re: '10 and 2' no longer safe way to hold steering wheel

I use just one hand to hold the wheel and the other is always on the gear for lightning quick shifts, and I havent ever crashed.

PS:
98% of all statistics are made up. ~Author Unknown

Statistics can be made to prove anything - even the truth. ~Author Unknown

Do not put your faith in what statistics say until you have carefully considered what they do not say. ~William W. Watt

Re: '10 and 2' No Longer Safe Way To Hold Steering Wheel

Welll as for me ... I feel the 9-3 position is best suited for me for
a . the wiper, light flasher stalks are place conveniently at that position.
b. also gives enough movement for hands in case of sudden turns due to some obstruction on road.

Re: '10 and 2' No Longer Safe Way To Hold Steering Wheel

Why do someone need to do 'lightning quick' shifts unless he is on a race track?

Guess most of them are sedate/moderate drivers. I feel 9-3 is the best holding position as it gives better control and confidence.

Re: '10 and 2' no longer safe way to hold steering wheel

I use just one hand to hold the wheel and the other is always on the gear for lightning quick shifts, and I havent ever crashed.
I second that.

I always use right hand to hold steering wheel & left hand is always on the gear or free other times.

It has proved very convenient for me & I feel more control on the vehicle. [:)]

Top Bottom