Correct Position Of Holding Steering Wheel?

Re: Correct Position to Hold Steering Wheel?

I use 10-2 most of the times, one main reason being Punto steering has grips at the same.

On long drives though I go to 8-4 position.

Going through all this, I will now start making conscious effort to keep to 9-3 (and then may be 8-4 when cruising) but not sure if it would be ok with Punto steering design, have to check...

Btw, this is a very good point for discussion.

After a long time i am reviving this thread
People driving with only one hand on steering wheel and other on the gear lever, isn't that risky? it's the same like people who smoke during driving.

The correct position to hold the steering wheel IMO is the position where both your hands don't get locked up during maneuvering .
People take it as matter of convenience rather than a rule/standard/convention.
As long as it is slow speed drive, it may not be harmful to have right hand on steering wheel (3 position) and left hand on gear. Another reason is that it will be too tiresome and painful (also impractical?) to move the hand back and forth from steering to gear in a heavy traffic. But again, we need to be on guard when we do like this.

Hello experts, I'm new to car driving and my driving experience is just 8+ months old.

I bought a steering knob for my car (equipped with PS) and want to install it, in the correct position. Initially installed in the Right Side at 3'o clock position, but the instruction with picture came with it (can't read though it is Chinese Lang) pointed it to install left hand side which is 9 o'clock position. Saw some Youtube Videos and they all shows the installed knob stays left hand side.

My question where is the correct location to install it ?

(I know here most people may not recommended it but it helps me a lot the park the car / taking U-turn / take the turn and return back in the middle of the road situation).

Last edited:

but the instruction with picture came with it (can't read though it is Chinese Lang) pointed it to install left hand side which is 9 o'clock position. Saw some Youtube Videos and they all shows the installed knob stays left hand side.

I am not an expert from the lots here but was just curious to know whether the you tube video and picture is showing the steering in left hand side (drive) or right hand side (drive)?

Hello experts, I'm new to car driving and my driving experience is just 8+ months old.

I bought a steering knob for my car (equipped with PS) and want to install it, in the correct position. Initially installed in the Right Side at 3'o clock position, but the instruction with picture came with it (can't read though it is Chinese Lang) pointed it to install left hand side which is 9 o'clock position. Saw some Youtube Videos and they all shows the installed knob stays left hand side.

(I know here most people may not recommended it but it helps me a lot the park the car / taking U-turn / take the turn and return back in the middle of the road situation).
The correct position to install it for a RHD car is right side 1 o'clock position. You can turn the wheel with the knob with help of right hand only.

Would you pl explain how it helps you and what is its look. I did not see such thing in training cars of PCW & Sanei Motor.

I bought a steering knob for my car (equipped with PS) and want to install it, in the correct position. Initially installed in the Right Side at 3'o clock position,
Steering knobs are terribly dangerous. I'd never install one on my steering.

1. If you have a driver side airbag, and you turn your steering by holding the knob in your right hand, your forearm is bound to crossover during a left turn. Imagine if the airbag deploys at that time, it will hit your arm on your face.

2. If you don't have a driver side airbag and have a frontal collision, just imagine hitting your head on that knob.

The safest thing is to use the 9-3 position with shuffle steering technique to turn the steering. This is described here:

Steering a Car or Truck

Here is the picture of it installed in my steering
Your knob is installed opposite i.e. the knob should be outwards. Also it should be another 1-1.5 inches towards top means at 1 o'clock position.

How will it help you to drive?[surprise]
It helps to maneuver the steering with right hand only. Comes with practice.

10:10 hr position is the most recommended steering position where one can have a complete and quick control over the vehicle
Actually,once one learned to drive a vehicle,I think these holding positions no longer a necessity.I have seen in kolkata experienced drivers control steering in one hand and use other on gear. Certainly they have learned to control vehicle in one hand.[This method is quite helpful where frequent gear shifting is a necessity]

Guys My Hyundai GRAND steering has squeezes at 10-2 position. Check my link
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...trol-ownership-review-img_20130912_112008.jpg

But when I am driving in city I am cofortable at position 3-Handle for quick U-turns.
On highways My hands are at 10-2. This is unintentional and never thoght about.
Just realized after reading the thread.
Indeed there are so many small things about driving those need attention.
Thats why TAIgers rock. Afterall trifles make perfection.

Top Bottom