Correct Position Of Holding Steering Wheel?

Re: Correct Position to Hold Steering Wheel?

Well i hold the steering with only one hand all the time , other hand will be in gear knob if its city driving and if highways other hand will be on lap or front seat.

Smoking is completely different , one hand will be unable to use in any circumstance but in my case i can always use the other hand whenever needed.

+1 to Cooldhaya.
I use one hand on steering wheel 9/3 position for both city and highway driving and left hand on gear knob, unless i need to use indicator/dip n dim the HL.

People driving with only one hand on steering wheel and other on the gear lever, isn't that risky?
if it is risky then how would anybody change the gear ??

i hold the wheel in any position which needs minimum effort. and i keep changing .

hold wheel in any position which do not make your hands feel fatigue or pain .

most important , it should be in such a way that you should be able to turn the wheel one full round under any situation.

if it is risky then how would anybody change the gear ??
I think you got me wrong. Time to change gear take less than 3-4 secs.

I know a person who had this habit of keeping one hand on the hand brake lever. He accidentally pulled the hand brake unconsciously while negotiating in the traffic and got his car bumped from behind.

Well it all depends upon one's comfort, choose your style and keep improvising until you reach the summit.

He accidentally pulled the hand brake unconsciously while negotiating in the traffic and got his car bumped from behind.
that is just impossible for a sane person.
such a guy can press accelerator pedal instead of brakes.

have you noticed we do not or rarely do use both hands while using/turning wheels. either of the hands remains just as a support against the engaged ones.
if one requires effort of both hands simultaneously on steering wheel then he is not a good driver. it is something related to brain function.

A NOTE TO ALL: If you ever go to a different country and want to get a license there, you will have to do a driving test. In the test if you don't have both hands on the wheel in the correct position 10 and 2 you will fail. I know it as it happened to my friend who moved from india. She wouldn't listen to me [roll]

that is just impossible for a sane person.
such a guy can press accelerator pedal instead of brakes.

have you noticed we do not or rarely do use both hands while using/turning wheels. either of the hands remains just as a support against the engaged ones.
if one requires effort of both hands simultaneously on steering wheel then he is not a good driver. it is something related to brain function.
Jayadev,

I don't know how anyone would relate it to brain functioning but I at times, use both hands when driving in city (sedate driving) nor am I saying that brain does not plays a role in driving a car [lol].

On highways, if it is a long stretch then my both hands, will be at round about 6 positions but I will turn the car with one hand either of them (using palm). So, if I am talking a right turn it will be my left arm and if left then it will be my right arm.

Note: Here I am referring to a turn and not a U turn or sharp turn.

shailinder,
it is some thing like give and take with one hand .one cannot do both simultaneously but one at a time .

let us not go ot.

i have seen some people clamping on wheels just because they were taught to hold in 10.10am position from the driving class .

the fact is, there is no strict rule how to .
it is all dependent on how comfortable and responsive one can be with his position

Rules might say 10-10 is the postion one should maintain while driving as per the book. But I threw the book out the window on that one (It was the norm back in the days on old cars with steering wheels that looked like it was a Titanic replica.)

In modern cars the steering wheel has become much smaller in diameter and 9-3 is the best position for a fast manuvere in case situation demands. And so I always hold it 9-3. I also sit close to the steering wheel and my elbows will be bent and not straight. It gives me more leverage.

So in my opinion 10-10 might be good if you're steering a ship at sea.[lol]

Last edited:

i also follow the 9-3 way. or else in bumper to bumper traffic, out of tiredness, i keep one hand on doorpad or armrest or on top of steering (LOL). but otherwise it is always on 9-3.

i also follow the 9-3 way. or else in bumper to bumper traffic, out of tiredness, i keep one hand on doorpad or armrest or on top of steering (LOL). but otherwise it is always on 9-3.
But isn't the driving age in Thailand 18 years :suspect:

I keep my hand at ease.. it will be at the bottom with a hand when am in high ways, may be on door, its on gear lever when am in a tight traffic and occationally in high ways, i'll be tapping inside the steering with both my hands to the tune coming out of ice. What ever it is my eyes do rotate a lot front, left and right orvm's, rvm then again front and so on.. In kerala (that too when you are in Alappuzha - Kochi route(NH47) you can always expect a pedestrian jumping in front of you from vacuum, or a cycle crossing the 4 lane as if he is riding in his private road. so what ever position my hand is, I always make sure that I can release and grip the steering wheel whenever there is a need.

I recently shifted from a non-power-steering, non airbag Maruti 800 to a power steering and airbag equipped Ecosport. First thing I did was to unlearn 10 years of habit of holding the steering with a single hand at 12 o'clock position. Habits die hard, and I still find myself reverting to bad position once in a while. Nothing illustrates correct habits than pictures and videos courtesy driving instructor blog.

Here is the 9-3 position which allows the airbag to deploy safely:
9_and_3-600x398.jpg

The 8-4 position which is also fine for long straight highways:
Maazda-8-and-4-600x398.jpg

Here's how to take left and right turns (the most difficult for someone who has bad habits , but should be easy for a new learner):

Turns using 9-3 position

Handling curving roads with 9-3 position:
Curves using 9-3 position

Top Bottom