Converting 4x2 Into 4x4 Vehicle

Thread Starter #1
hi guys,

i want to know is there a special demand to make any 4X2 into 4X4 . Let say we brought second hand engine diesel or petrol can we make it work with 4X4 system

what things we need to keep in mind before doing such thing .

thank you ,
MasterSquall

350Z

Core Team
Yup. It's possible to turn 4x2 into 4x4 but are you sure that you wish to do that? The story is not limited to engine swap and it's going to be a costly affair too.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3
actually what i meant if we let say buy second hand engine like innova engine and then put it inside car . can i make that engine to work with 4X4 drive which take out from another car ? .

on another form person told me that we can do that we can take out 4X4 working one from jeep or safari or any other car and use it with innova engine which he said mechanic should be able to do so without much problem .

anything can be done.

all you need is time and patience.

and of course money.

cheaper option.

fixing innova engine in gypsy or mm540 are proven ,
except the rto rules everything will be fine

Bumping into an old thread.
Is it possible to convert a 4x2 Safari Dicor to 4x4.

Background:
I own a 2004 TCIC Safari 4x4 and a 2012 2.2 GX Safari Dicor 4x2.

Will it be possible to remove the 4x4 assembly of the old horse and mate it with the new one?
Will there be any need of changing the chasis?
Any such conversion done anywhere.
if not the assembly from Old then can I do a 4x4 conversion with the new 4x4 assembly (Shift Motor, Transfer case, front differential).

Thanks

It is possible, you will need to get off the transfer case, gb, drive shafts, wiring, ecm etc from the old vehicle and fit it on to your new vehicle.

Afaik, the chassis is similar, you will need to swap the wiring and ecm related to 4x4.

Thanks Varun,
So that said I need to get all these from a DiCOR 2.2 as my old 4x4 Safari is a TCIC which has no electronics (ECM). Again how compatible the TCIC GB will be with the DiCOR setup is another question.

kkn13

Suspended
I know certain engines can be made into 4x4 for eg Innova's 2.8 engine is shared with Fortuner
Maybe 2.5 Innova engine can be used because Fortuner 3.0 engine is from the same family of engines afaik and people have used the 3.0 engine from 4x4 Fortuner in to Innovas in Indonesia

No clue about Tata vehicles, but knowing limited budgets of Tata and Mahindra when it comes to R and D, chances are the engine families are similar if not same

bhvm

Honoured Member
I was along the same lines.
Safari 4x2 is easily available in Used market. But hardly any 4x4 since past year I am researching.

Is it worthwhile to Convert a 4x2 safari to 4x4, and what are the costs involved? If its like 30~50k I may go ahed.

I have a 4x2 Safari and plan to build offroad vehicle from this... as far as mild off-roading is concerned I don’t think our beasts will have any issues.. good chuncky tyres and maybe welded diff

bhvm

Honoured Member
Welded diff will not allow you to drive well on tarmac. Tyre and susp wear will be too much. Turning will be difficult.

Try getting an Airlocker from ARB if possible. Don't know if thats available for safari.
However frankly, A 4x4 is a 4x4 and such kinds of jugaad will take you only so much. In absense of low range and grip of front tyres, you will always be in a state of confusion.

Thread Starter #13
I was along the same lines.
Safari 4x2 is easily available in Used market. But hardly any 4x4 since past year I am researching.

Is it worthwhile to Convert a 4x2 safari to 4x4, and what are the costs involved? If its like 30~50k I may go ahed.
It will cost 1L+ still no reliability why because safari has lot of electronic and lack of professional . Which makes it impossible to do

Best bet is to look for 4x4

Top Bottom