Confusion Over a Diesel Hatch - No Clear Winner?

Thread Starter #1
Hi- good to know there are confused souls like me[:)]. I am looking to buy a diesel hatch. After some independent (but not back to back) test drives, I have zeroed in on the Punto 1.3 MJD Emotion (maybe Pack) and the Ford Figo 1.4 Duratorque Titanium TDCI. And now am unsure which one to go with. I will TD them both back to back, but wanted some opinions as i was not able to figure out a clear winner.

Budget : 7 Lakhs

City: highway driving is 70:30

Car will be chauffer driven 60% of time in the city and will be self driven 100% in highway driving. So need rear seat comfort(space, good cushioning from potholes), but also need the fun-to-drive factor, handling in self driving [:)].

I loved the Punto for the fun- to -drive factor, but the turning radius of the car is quite bad? Also Punto falls short in the rear space/legroom. Also is the turbo lag painfull in city driivng?

On the other hand the ford figo looks too neutral, interiors seem not up to the mark. Is it also a tad too light for high speed highway driving? Its absence of turbo-lag is too awesome for city driving to ignore it.

Would really appreciate some answers to all the questions of this confused soul!

I think you know well the good and bad about both cars.

As you already decided, do TD both car, in city as well as open roads, and take a call. In my view rear space is almost similar in both cars.

If the car will be chauffeur driven, i would suggest you to go for the Grande Punto since it offers better rear comfort than Figo.

Going through the same Dillema since last few days. Considering Micra diesel as well.. Have test driven both the Punto & Figo and think that the Figo is more VFM than the Punto.

Though the Punto feels a bit more driveable car than the Figo, I suppose the Figo feels richer when it comes to the back seat comfort!!

Punto feels good when you sit behing the steering wheel.

Anyone with Micra TD experience?

Hi Nri,

Just TD both Punto and Figo and then come to a conclusion. All the confusions will be answered during TD.

For me, Figo is the clear winner since it has got good handling capability. Maintenance wont be a worrying factor.

One thing that makes me reluctant to think about punto is the ASS.

@basis: GC is a problem will almost all the cars of its own type.

Thread Starter #7
Hi Nri,

Just TD both Punto and Figo and then come to a conclusion. All the confusions will be answered during TD.

For me, Figo is the clear winner since it has got good handling capability. Maintenance wont be a worrying factor.

One thing that makes me reluctant to think about punto is the ASS.

@basis: GC is a problem will almost all the cars of its own type.

I thought many Punto owners and TATA car owners are now saying A.S.S is far improved?

Punto owners out there : is it possible to have a 5'10'' driver and an equally tall passenger sit behind him in the punto easily?

Thread Starter #8
Going through the same Dillema since last few days. Considering Micra diesel as well.. Have test driven both the Punto & Figo and think that the Figo is more VFM than the Punto.

Though the Punto feels a bit more driveable car than the Figo, I suppose the Figo feels richer when it comes to the back seat comfort!!

Punto feels good when you sit behing the steering wheel.

Anyone with Micra TD experience?
I ruled out Micra because the steering hardly gives any feedback...ok for the city, not confident about it on the highways.

Thread Starter #11
Ford A.S.S doesn't enjoy any better reputation either.[:)]

I believe yes, but seating comfort can be individual perception.
@RSM: Sure, will TD and check that out. But thanks for your valuable opinion. What's your take on the turning radius of the Punto, esp. for narrow roads of Bangalore?[:)] I believe you are also (part) based in Bangalore?

@ Nri: I dont think turning radius would be a big problem even on narrow roads or Blr. As many people owns Punto and are from Blr. It depends on individual driving style and managing what do they have in their hands.

Punto is a great handler on highways and Figo is quick in City. Turbo Lag or painful city driving should not be your consideration as it would chauffer driven (as you mentioned) and a professional driver knows how to handle such lag in traffic.

I think, you prime consideration should be comfort and Punto would give you that. It is not that Figo is behind but Punto is better.

And Ravi (RSM) and Jayadev would vouch for my comments as well as they are the best persons to add more from an owner's prospective.

Okay so you will be driving the car in highways then it has to be the Punto. Amazing stability , handling and suspension should take care of the potholes when you are not behind the wheel. A.S.S both Fiat and Ford does not have a good reputation , it all boils down to the dealership attitude at your place. Yes Punto 1.3MJD has a good turbo lag but that should not bother you much because its going to be driven by somebody else and even if you drive it too you will adjust yourself , maintaining the correct gears inside city for the appropriate speed can help overcome turbo lag which you will get used to once you start driving the Punto. I personally find Punto's rear seats to be comfortable but a bit low on space. But for your question yes two persons of 5'10" can sit comfortably in Punto.

Considering the engine in Figo is borrowed from Fiesta, expect the engine to lack high-end power. It'll be very good in city but out on the highway, it'll run out of juice soon. And again, Punto is a better highway car than Figo in other aspects too.

Top Bottom