Confused between the new Honda Jazz and new Suzuki Swift.

Thread Starter #1
Hi,
We have a 10 years old daewoo Matiz. It has run just 42000 kms.(no, i didn't miss a zero.) We want to buy a new car. My only two choice now is the ones I mentioned in the title. Should we buy a diesel swift? With rising petrol prices diesel seems to be the only sane choice. Also our monthly running is less than 100kms. So I dont know if I should invest in a diesel car. I am ignoring the fact that I might not be able to recover the premium that I paid for if I buy the diesel swift. I will buy only the topend models of either cars.

Except for the fuel efficiency the Jazz beats the swift hands down.

Right now all I am thinking is that at less than 15kmpl mileage and petrol prices rising constantly will the Jazz be a good choice? Better buy the Swift diesel because everytime you go for refill you won't feel bad when you see the prices of diesel. Also the diesel swift boasts of more than 20kmpl mileage.
Our daily commute is done in public transport. As I said we take the car out only when the whole family has to go somewhere. We "sometimes" go on 200kms+ trips and in those cases we have to pay a LOT of money for petrol. But then, those trips only occur rarely so I am quite confused as to whether buy Petrol or diesel. Most people say that in my case its a no brainer to buy a petrol car but just think, in 3 years time petrol will be above Rs. 100/L. Who can drive in conditions like that? Diesel will still be less than Rs.70/L. So I am not just thinking of now. I am thinking about the future and we will definitely use the car for more than 8 years. Even being able to recover 70% of the premium I paid for the diesel car in 8 years time will be enough for me.

Please help me in choosing a good car.
Thanks in advance.

yes you are right you won't be able to recover that 1L extra you are spending and with running of 100 per month petrol make more sense also petrol require less maintenance compare to diesel also there maintenance cost is less then diesel .

How do you know price will touch 100 . Also already oil manufacturer already told that they will make sure price don't increase .

But if you still want diesel then start standing in line because swift has very long line of waiting

If you run only that many kilometers every month, Then you can keep your eyes closed and get the Honda! Like you said its the better car on all counts except fuel efficiency. And what makes you to think the price of Petrol will be Rs.100 and Diesel Rs.70 in future? The subsidy on Diesel will probably end by that time and there wont be much of a difference anyway.

Last edited:
As you have a low running, I'll suggest you to go for a Petrol Car!
I'll recommend you a Swift Petrol because it looks way way better than Jazz and its servicing costs are even less in comparison to Jazz!
so swift petrol all the way!

Go for Jazz. 100km/month doesn't make much difference in terms of fuel cost.

PS: do you really need to invest on a car for running just 100km/month? Instead you can always hire a car.

Thread Starter #7
Go for Jazz. 100km/month doesn't make much difference in terms of fuel cost.

PS: do you really need to invest on a car for running just 100km/month? Instead you can always hire a car.
Yes we do. Our daily commute is done in public transport. The car is used only when the whole family has to go somewhere.

Jazz with 15 kmpl mileage is making it hard for us to buy it :(

With the price slash, Jazz would be definitely be a better bet. Also Jazz has a huge boot space and spacious interiors compared to Swift which would be an added advantage during your 'sometimes' long drives.

The car is used only when the whole family has to go somewhere.
+1 You can carry lot of luggage in Jazz but swifts boot space is cramped.

Also 100 km/month doesn't make any sense to buy a diesel car. You can use extra 1 Lakh for feeling petrol.

2011] 100 * 12 = 1200 km 1200/15 (Avg) = 80 Ltr * 68 (Rs)= 5440 Rs/year = 6000 (Rounded)
2012] 100 * 12 = 1200 km 1200/15 (Avg) = 80 Ltr * 75 (Rs)= 6000 Rs/year = 7000 (Rounded)
So on

Accordingly For next 8 years

6000 + 7000 + 8000 + 9000 + 10000 + 11000 + 12000 + 13000 = 76000 Rs

Still you can save 24k

Go for Jazz.
If you don't like Jazz can also check Swift ZXi (Gives 18 kmpl)

Thread Starter #13
Another question. My dad's colleagues has been telling him not to buy a Honda car because there are not many service centers of Honda here. Which is true. Search the hondacarindia.com website for service centers and dealers in Assam. You will get the picture.

Welcome to TAI papul.

I suggest you to go for Swift. Since the Jazz is a less popular model It will be better to stay away. And in Swift you have the maruti reliability across the country thanks to its service networks.

Go for the diesel one. Who knows, you & family may use the car more then 300 to 500Kms also. You may even go for a tour trip also in the car for around 500Kms. See for the future. I'm having both petrol cars. One is converted to LPG ( The Palio). But still when i go for fueling my car i envy the diesel cars.

You don't need to calculate the expense for every trip. & the diesel cars give a very good FE then any other petrol cars. resale value is good for diesel cars.

Forget about maintenance. Now a days diesel cars are equally good and less to maintain then the olden day diesels.

Bro go for the Diesel Swift[thumbsup]. But i think its available only in VDI model not the top end.

Top Bottom