Confused Between Maruti Swift LXi and Fiat Punto

Thread Starter #1
Hello All,

I am planning to book a car next month and searched a lot. Took test drive of Swift petrol and liked it. But, I was searching online about fiat punto and found that owners of punto are much more delighted than swift.

Now, if we compare price then punto base model is costing more than swift and they are just giving extra accessories such as audio system and power windows. In this festive season they are offering "Absolute" versions with GPS, bluetooth, seat covers etc. Apart from accessories puto is lacking on power in front of swift and it has low resale value with a bad reputation of after sales service.

Please help me choose the best one among these two because swift has some advantages over punto but I have seen some people booking punto over swift and they are delighted. I am still trying to find that why they have chosen punto over swift?

Is the mileage of punto petrol 1.2 is higher than swift Lxi?
Is it better in handling than swift?
Is it better in space than swift?
Better interiors than swift?

Any proud owner of punto 2012 (petrol) or swift petrol who can get me out of this confusion? [roll] [confused]

Last edited:
Re: Confused between Maruti Swift Lxi and Fiat puto

If you are looking for Petrol, then swift would be a better option.
Swift has a better engine config, delivering higher power and torque where as Punto 1.2 is underpowered. Don't just fall for the freebies.
yOU can also checkout Brio/i20 etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Confused between Maruti Swift Lxi and Fiat puto

If you are looking for Petrol, then swift would be a better option.
Swift has a better engine config, delivering higher power and torque where as Punto 1.2 is underpowered. Don't just fall for the freebies.
U can also checkout Brio/i20 etc.
Yes,you are right Anand.Punto 1.2 Petrol is quite under powered.Better go for Swift only.Because,it had better engine than Punto,better interior quality than Punto etc.

I dont see any extra delighment with any punto owners other than exageration and bias.
Too much of freebies does point to that .

Go for swift if you want better designed, fuel efficient car with additional peace of mind.

I would suggest you to go with Swift as it is better petrol car of both. But the claims of PUNTO 1.2 being underpowered are base less here.

Compare the Torque (Nm@rpm) of both the cars.

Punto 1.2 : 96Nm @2500rpm

Swift 1.2 : 114Nm@4000rpm

So Punto generates power at lower RPM than Swift. The only reason Punto feels underpowered might because of the heavy tank built i.e. wieght of the car.

I might be wrong here, but I am still learning. Gurus out here can correct me if I am wrong.

Thread Starter #7
Ok, it seems like I should not opt punto over swift. But, if we compare both of them in base diesel variants then which will be better? Punto or Swift? Price is almost similar so which will be a better choice in diesel?

I am planning to wait and extend my budget a bit so that I can buy a diesel car.

Punto is no way a contendor against swift in diesal.
only contender is Indica vista which is by far better than swift in many aspect.

Punto comparitivly is less fuel efficient,less on interior space and expensive .
Above all maintenance hassles which continues to be on gods mercy .
Suzuki gives you seemless service backup around the country and the best part is very good resale value after couple of years when you wish an upgrade.

Thread Starter #9
only contender is Indica vista which is by far better than swift in many aspect.

Punto comparitivly is less fuel efficient,less on interior space and expensive .
Suzuki gives you seemless service backup around the country and the best part is very good resale value after couple of years when you wish an upgrade.
I do not agree with your point of "less on interior space and expensive"

1. I did a comparison of both cars and punto is almost same in space with extra length and boot space, just 7mm less in width which hardly matters.

2. In terms of price, punto base diesel is just 4k extra to swift base diesel and till punto is giving music system, power door locks, techometer, power windows as well.

3. Top of that, it has better safety than swift.

4. And Punto is giving more power than swift which is perfect.

Drawbacks will be little less mileage (2-3km/ltr less) and less resale value than swift. After sale service will improve by mid of next year because Fiat finally decide to go solo with their own dealerships.

Here is the link of variant comparison - Compare Fiat Grande Punto 2012 Active 1.3 vs Maruti Suzuki Swift LDi vs Fiat Grande Punto 2012 Dynamic 1.3 vs Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi - CarWale

But if we compare buying puto petrol over punto diesel then its far more better than swift. I changed my mind after visiting nearby dealership and comparing the price of diesel base variants with swift.

I would suggest you to go with Swift as it is better petrol car of both. But the claims of PUNTO 1.2 being underpowered are base less here.

Compare the Torque (Nm@rpm) of both the cars.

Punto 1.2 : 96Nm @2500rpm

Swift 1.2 : 114Nm@4000rpm

So Punto generates power at lower RPM than Swift. The only reason Punto feels underpowered might because of the heavy tank built i.e. wieght of the car.

I might be wrong here, but I am still learning. Gurus out here can correct me if I am wrong.
What about the power factor?
Power (PS@rpm)
Punto 1.2 : 68@6000
Swift 1.2 : 87@6000
There exists a considerable difference. Am i right?

Well, I just cant agree to this. Punto, in fact, satisfies all the needs, with better interior space and boot. A boot space around 200l wont suffice for the airport runs, trips, shopping etc. Swift in that case is impractical. Punto is also feature rich, Blue & me , ACC and also comes at the same price of that of swift. Also, you could always grab offers on Punto and would be readily available. The ASS part, for the time being, if u have 1-2 Tata dealership around, it wont be a big issue.

If you are looking for diesel, and you plan to keep your car for at least 6 years, I guess, you can go for Punto. Also dynamic variant is loaded with ABS, which might help you in the highway runs. Also, with the absolute edition, you can grab many accessories for free.

Last edited:
My replies were in conjuction to the confusion between both ,and swift will prove vfm any day in long run .

1. I did a comparison of both cars and punto is almost same in space with extra length and boot space, just 7mm less in width which hardly matters.
If you notice carefully its not all about dimensions but how sensibly the space is utilized, you will find it difficult to find a space even to keep your mobile fone in Punto
2. In terms of price, punto base diesel is just 4k extra to swift base diesel and till punto is giving music system, power door locks, techometer, power windows as well.
An after market music system is always better than stock music system offered in Punto, if you have doubts you can check with other owners and see how crappy they sounds.
Its a myth I suppose, Punto sold in India is designed well before year 2005 and been discontinued in 2006 globaly, what we are gracefully seeing must be stock clearance which Fiat themselves may not feel enthusiastic about.
On the other hand Swift is latest updated in 2011 which means better CAR.

If you test drive punto and swift you will know in real which is more powerful, bhp/ton ratio of swift is much better than barge like punto, so performance wise swift will outrun punto any time.

Drawbacks will be little less mileage (2-3km/ltr less) and less resale value than swift.
Hope you realize by now that these things will never improve in long run, Better not regret in later course of time.

After sale service will improve by mid of next year because Fiat finally decide to go solo with their own dealerships.
There is no definite basis for this other than assumptions, from my personal experience other than the crowd of taxi there was nothing less which Tata Ass never did concerning Fiat.

ASS issues and lack of spare part was never due to Tata's fault but Fiat themselves failed to meet the requirements.
I learnt recently that any order for spare part placed has to go through approval from Fiat Turin,which means additional delay and it is still being practiced, even the regular servicing of fiat cars is being logged through such a distance..

Here is the link of variant comparison - Compare Fiat Grande Punto 2012 Active 1.3 vs Maruti Suzuki Swift LDi vs Fiat Grande Punto 2012 Dynamic 1.3 vs Maruti Suzuki Swift VDi - CarWale
Take those online comparison with pinch of salt , these same online forums and media were bashing same fiat cars to hell but suddenly they seems to change the plates, do you smell something fishy ?

But if we compare buying puto petrol over punto diesel then its far more better than swift. I changed my mind after visiting nearby dealership and comparing the price of diesel base variants with swift.
Depending on your budget you can go for either of the cars.end of the day you get best value for your money spent is the car which is more reliable,more popular,more easy to maintain and you feel more comfortable with.

last but not least, Punto's Pedal placement and on face steering wheel arrangement is total goof up considering day to day driving comfort.

Drawbacks will be little less mileage (2-3km/ltr less) and less resale value than swift. After sale service will improve by mid of next year because Fiat finally decide to go solo with their own dealerships.

It seems we have a FIAT fan even without owing one. [:D]

What about the power factor?
Power (PS@rpm)
Punto 1.2 : 68@6000
Swift 1.2 : 87@6000
There exists a considerable difference. Am i right?
Yes you are right, but initial torque was what I was talking about, which generates more torque at lesser RPM, but everything gets screwed due to bhp/ton ratio for Punto. I am not favoring Punto here. Just need to get facts right in place and want to make sure what I am thinking is right.

Hello All,

I am planning to book a car next month and searched a lot. Took test drive of Swift petrol and liked it. But, I was searching online about fiat punto and found that owners of punto are much more delighted than swift.

Now, if we compare price then punto base model is costing more than swift and they are just giving extra accessories such as audio system and power windows. In this festive season they are offering "Absolute" versions with GPS, bluetooth, seat covers etc. Apart from accessories puto is lacking on power in front of swift and it has low resale value with a bad reputation of after sales service.

Please help me choose the best one among these two because swift has some advantages over punto but I have seen some people booking punto over swift and they are delighted. I am still trying to find that why they have chosen punto over swift?

Is the mileage of punto petrol 1.2 is higher than swift Lxi?
Is it better in handling than swift?
Is it better in space than swift?
Better interiors than swift?

Any proud owner of punto 2012 (petrol) or swift petrol who can get me out of this confusion? [roll] [confused]
Hi Rahul,

I own a Grande Punto 1.4 petrol emotion which I have just sold.

While the power & the performance of the car was good, you will find problems in the service. The service was done by the TATA network which no one has anything good to talk about. The service centres of TATA are far & few while Maruti has one almost every 8-10 kms. The spare parts of Punto are not easily available & would take a couple of days to source. Primarily the resale value is terrible in a Punto. I used to get a mileage of 10KM/l. Swift would surely give a better mileage. My average service costs since 2010 used to be about Rs.10,000 per year. But just last month spent about Rs.15,000 to change the radiator. Still have a lot more work on the Punto. Since I didn't want to spend anymore on it, I sold it.

The good things about the Punto is that it is more spacious, awesome bootspace, mine was a 1.4 & hence was really powerful.

If you compare it with Swift, I think you must choose the swift. But I have heard from earlier posts that the new swift has braking problems at low speeds during bumber to bumper traffic.

Alternatively, why dont you look at Honda Brio when you have already decided on a petrol car? I have booked the Brio VMT & will be getting the delivery this thursday. Waiting to lay my hands on my new car. ;)

Hope this helps you!!

Regards,

Rajesh

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #14
Thanks for your detailed reply Rajesh.

I got a month to decide over Punto and till that time I will continue my research. But, regarding your choice of Brio, I am shocked that you have chosen Brio after punto. I mean, brio is cramped in space and no way matches the space of swift or punto.

Its small and light, you won't get the awesome driving pleasure in Brio (personal thoughts) and you will feel cramped in back seat. But still, please share your thoughts over Brio because you are going to use it after punto so your comments does matter. [:D]

Last edited:
Thanks for your detailed reply Rajesh.

I got a month to decide over Punto and till that time I will continue my research. But, regarding your choice of Brio, I am shocked that you have chosen Brio after punto. I mean, brio is cramped in space and no way matches the space of swift or punto.

Its small and light, you won't get the awesome driving pleasure in Brio (personal thoughts) and you will feel cramped in back seat. But still, please share your thoughts over Brio because you are going to use it after punto so your comments does matter. [:D]
The simple logic is Brio is more VFM and easy on pocket than Punto. [;)]

Top Bottom