Confused Between Ford EcoSport & Tata Nexon

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

Please help me I am planning to buy a new car and I am held bent on getting a compact SUV for a family of 4 plus one kid who is just 4 years old.

2 years back I purchased Toyota Etios liva ( Limited Edition ,Petrol) after discussing here and I am very satisfied till date with my decision.

I am looking for diesel engine this time and this car will be mostly used for family trips with good luggage space.

Am I making a wise decision in going for compact SUV or should I change my search completely on the other side and look for good Sedan with ample boot space.

Couple of things that I want my car to have , I am listing below .

1) Good ground clearence.

2) Peppy engine, as most of the time I will only drive and I love driving.

3) Good boot space, so that with family of 4 and a child I can leave with this car on 10-12 days trip without having to bother too much about luggage.

4) I again repeat that this car I will be using primarily for travel as for city I have Liva which is adequate.

5) Basic safety features like airbags and abs are must.

Kindly help me as quickly as possible as I will be finalizing and I want to get the car within August itself.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Dear Suraj,

Are you looking for a AMT or Manual Transmission? What's your exact budget? Depending on the budget it would be easier to suggest you the most VFM variant and vehicle.

Regards

Akash

^^ get us further details of your purchase as suggested by Akash, so there will be clarity in our understanding of your needs.

Happy shopping.

Hi guys,
Please help me I am planning to buy a new car and I am held bent on getting a compact SUV for a family of 4 plus one kid who is just 4 years old.....
If you are confused between EcoSport and TATA Nexon Diesel as suggested by the thread title, then the clear winner is TATA Nexon. The rear shoulder room is better than EcoSport (160mm extra), Wheel base is only 20 mm less than EcoSport, which makes the turning radius of Nexon smaller than Ecospsort. Boot space is only 2 lt less than EcoSport.
The only negative may be Nexon's 44 lt tank vs Ecosports 52 lt tank. Also Nexon ARAI Mileage is slighlty less - 21.5 vs 23 kmpl of EcoSport. When it comes to power, Nexon (108.5 bhp, 260 Nm Torque) is far far Better than Eco Sport. Both bhp and torque are available at lower rpm, which is another big plus. Also Nexon cost a whole lot less than Eco Sport! The most important feature - Nexon is a NCAP 4 rated Car!

Thread Starter #5
Dear Suraj,

Are you looking for a AMT or Manual Transmission? What's your exact budget? Depending on the budget it would be easier to suggest you the most VFM variant and vehicle.

Regards

Akash
Hi Aakash,

I am not looking for AMT, would like to go for Manual only.

And see it’s difficult to be precise but I am comfortable @ 11lakhs , but won’t compromise if have to shed another 1 lakh if I am getting a better ride.

Right now after all the discount and everything I am getting ecosport Titanium @ 11.14 lakhs on road and Nixon XZ+ @ 10.60 lakhs on road price as final offer.

Kindly suggest, I have test drive both the engine and they both are good. I am not sure but IMO I found the Nexon clutch to be a bit long which was hampering my drive. Plus, after going pass 110km/hr speed a lot of noise begin to enter the cabin area. I don’t know wether it had something to do with the test drive car that I got or it is something other Nexon owner has also felt in their car.

Whereas in Ford I didn’t felt any issue, it was good to drive in city as well as highway.

That’s the reason I am not being able to make up my mind.

Dear Suraj

If I have to pick between Ecosport and Nexon then It would be surely Nexon I will pick due to many things as explained by our Nexon owners on forum. Ecosport is good in everything but I feel bit of claustrophobic and nervous while cornering.

But if I read your requirement of good boot space for 4 people and 10-12 days of travel I feel both of these would not be sufficient for such luggage. For this only reason I suggest you to look at Ertiga present version or the new one to be launched very soon. I agree that it has 1.3Litre diesel engine and less BHP of power but if it is intended to a highway and long drive use then its good enough power and the decent mileage as per me. A proven engine and a safe bet always.

So re think your requirements once again and select the appropriate OR short list and post so that our members can throw more light on those specifically

Both the mini SUV are neck in neck in the market. Though ES is bit pricey it has its own advantages on safety etc. I think first finalize you budget and see which versions of both car fit in there and then you can decide.
Another contender can be Brezza .

I was in a similar ship earlier, although i was looking at Automatic.

After extensively Test Driving both the vehicles, i realized both of are not perfect and each have its own pros and cons (My observations are based on petrol and since you have mentioned Diesel i shall exclude driving performance points)

FOr Nexon
1) For long drives , considering you have a family and they would travel with you on long drives TATA nexon is superior in terms of comfort and cabin space in rear . Ford is not only congested ,the bench is flat without contours and leg space is poor for tall people

2) The music system is superior in Nexon and fine in nuances , (nonetheless not mindblowing especially if you are bass head) . Ford music system sounded artificial and will be irritating if you are a music lover like me. Hey but you can always upgrade and would not bother much if you are not so keen in music .

For Ford:
1) It has ESP whic gives an additional dash of safety on sudden brakes on fast speeds
2) The Hill Hold control is a boon on Ghat roads with plenty of traffic , but that should not be a sole decision to buy a car as any experienced driver can manage this
3) Cabin Noise in Ford is more relaxed compared to Tata ,especially with hard accelarations(This applicable to Petrol, not sure of diesel)

Things which are neck to neck with slight advantage:
1) Nexon is slightly better in visibility than Ford
2) Steering feedback and pointiness is better than Nexon in Ford ,although Nexon is not bad
3) Build quality is equally good, with Ford looking slightly better in some interior parts(Steering and sahdboard switches).The doors are heavier too in Ford
4) Nexon with a turning radius of 5.1 and adaptive guidelines is slightly convinient to maneuver and park in strange places. Ford with exposed rearwheel and aturning radius of 5.3 can be slightly inconvinient

So its a Mind vs Heart decision , Mind says Nexon and Heart says Ford, so upto you .

So Nexon for Comfort ,Value for Money and Ford for driving ethusiasm and superior safety(assuming ESP,TC,6 Airbags)

Last edited:

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Hi Aakash,

I am not looking for AMT, would like to go for Manual only.

And see it’s difficult to be precise but I am comfortable @ 11lakhs , but won’t compromise if have to shed another 1 lakh if I am getting a better ride.

Right now after all the discount and everything I am getting ecosport Titanium @ 11.14 lakhs on road and Nixon XZ+ @ 10.60 lakhs on road price as final offer.

Kindly suggest, I have test drive both the engine and they both are good. I am not sure but IMO I found the Nexon clutch to be a bit long which was hampering my drive. Plus, after going pass 110km/hr speed a lot of noise begin to enter the cabin area. I don’t know wether it had something to do with the test drive car that I got or it is something other Nexon owner has also felt in their car.

Whereas in Ford I didn’t felt any issue, it was good to drive in city as well as highway.

That’s the reason I am not being able to make up my mind.
Well, Suraj babu, its more like choosing between the desi Litti Chokha & American Pie[;)]. Dekho, If you are comfortable in spending a 1L more then i'll suggest you to go in for Eco Sport considering it has 6 Airbags and many other safety features otherwise Nexon is the best bet considering a good diesel engine and 4 star NCAP rating with 2 airbags. As far as the NVH concern is there, being a diesel, I guess its only Hyundai who's diesel engines are comparatively more silent. In other diesels you'll have a bit of NVH surely. So that ways, both Nexon and Eco-Sport are same.

Having a kid in the family warrants additional safety in the car and with a minor price difference of 55K, its better to go for the Eco Sport. However, just in case you are thinking to consider a Maruti Suzuki, then, instead of Brezza or the Ertiga, my suggestion will be to go in for the S-Cross. It is one of the rare good cars of Suzuki and better than the MSIL line up. Also, the boot space concern can be addressed better in that in my opinion.

Regards

Akash

Hi guys,

Please help me I am planning to buy a new car and I am held bent on getting a compact SUV for a family of 4 plus one kid who is just 4 years old.

2 years back I purchased Toyota Etios liva ( Limited Edition ,Petrol) after discussing here and I am very satisfied till date with my decision.

I am looking for diesel engine this time and this car will be mostly used for family trips with good luggage space.

Am I making a wise decision in going for compact SUV or should I change my search completely on the other side and look for good Sedan with ample boot space.

Couple of things that I want my car to have , I am listing below .

1) Good ground clearence.

2) Peppy engine, as most of the time I will only drive and I love driving.

3) Good boot space, so that with family of 4 and a child I can leave with this car on 10-12 days trip without having to bother too much about luggage.

4) I again repeat that this car I will be using primarily for travel as for city I have Liva which is adequate.

5) Basic safety features like airbags and abs are must.

Kindly help me as quickly as possible as I will be finalizing and I want to get the car within August itself.
Imho i dont think you need to look for ecosport or nexon , since you are having liva already and that is having acres of space. You can look for wrv diesel and hyundai creta also.

So Nexon for Comfort ,Value for Money and Ford for driving ethusiasm and superior safety(assuming ESP,TC,6 Airbags)
I dont agree on your point on Superior Safety

Well As far as i know, ford ecosport made for india in India has not been tested on Safety, the Indian made Ecosport for export hasbeen tested and it has 4 start rating, but Nexon made in india for India has 4 star GNCAP rating.

So from Safety wise, I will say NExon is proven to be safe vs Ecosport. Let Ford test the car and get it 5 star rating then i can call Ecosport superior in Safety vs Nexon.

Thread Starter #12
Imho i dont think you need to look for ecosport or nexon , since you are having liva already and that is having acres of space. You can look for wrv diesel and hyundai creta also.
Hyundai Creta is a bit Expensive dear.

I cant go more then 12 lakhs.

Thread Starter #13
Hi everyone,

I have now kind of made up my mind and dont want to stretch it further.

Just let me know in your respective opinion That " If i go for Ford Ecosport Titanium Version" , will i be regretting it in future? Because as i see now both these SUV`s are decent enough and their is no clear winner.

My wife and even myself are finding the Nexon look a bit flamboyant and abit loud, whereas Ford looks good.

Also, correct me if i am wrong , i believe ford 1.5 litre engine is tried and tested over a long period of time. I believe its been more then 4-5 years since ecosport was launched with 1.5 litre diesel engine. Also, the new updated version of ecosport is way better then what it was initially.

Nairrk

Honoured Member
Seems you are more confused..

If you and your wife likes Ecosport, then go ahead as just dont buy something which you are not 100pct satisfied.

What are the things you expect in a car and if you get all these or at least close to that, then go ahead before getting into more and more confusion.[:)]

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
If your primary ride is the etios then why are you wasting money on the diesel variant. Get the top end petrol of you have the budget. Who says petrols are bad for highway trips ?

Top Bottom