Condensation Issue in Headlights

Thread Starter #31
It seems that your headlights are too well sealed. Like they are missing a breather or a vent. This is not allowing Moisture/Air pressure From inside to equalize from outside. Think about something like a pressure cooker.
Somehow the water went inside (During Installation or Manufacturing) and has stayed there.

The water is turning to droplets which then falls to the bottom of headlight when parked. But when they are turned on, Heat from the bulb causes water to form steam, which is causing Condensation/Mist as faced by you. This is the only logical explanation I can think of.

Fiddle around with the rear of headlights. Get a local mechanic to remove battery etc so you have better working space. See if there is a dust cap or vent of some sort. See if this is being obstructed by something.
Means nothing is going inside headlights (through vents if any), i.e liquid vapor from leaking pipes (radiator or etc).

Use hair dryer on headlights when it has condensation and check if it goes away. In normal case it should clear out through vents otherwise there are no vents or blocked.
How or via which medium the water can go inside? The headlight unit is a sealed box. From what the dealership has told me, it is just connected to a plug that's it. There is no pipe or anything involved. So, how can the water get in?

Can't use the hair dryer because of no plug source. Followed point number 2 opened the hood started the engine with headlights on for about 5 minutes, no condensation. Used heater in the car as the temperature was around 15-20 degrees outside. Came back, parked and the condensation was decreasing in one and was very less in another. Any thoughts?

Couldn't find any water drop but found this liquid stuff, is any oil leaking?

Are these VW cars having Excide batteries or is this the dealership's cheat again?

@akop.4040

In the night, how much time it takes to build up condensation? Does it happen in daytime also?

Does it appear on DRL section only or on headlight also? I see that there is a divider between headlight and DRL (bottom part). So either the DRL section isn't getting heated or there is no/blocked vent for it. You need hair dryer to test it.

I have seen Skoda cars having Exide batteries from factory. Check user manual or warranty booklet for battery details and serial no.

Thread Starter #33
@akop.4040

In the night, how much time it takes to build up condensation? Does it happen in daytime also?

Does it appear on DRL section only or on headlight also? I see that there is a divider between headlight and DRL (bottom part). So either the DRL section isn't getting heated or there is no/blocked vent for it. You need hair dryer to test it.

I have seen Skoda cars having Exide batteries from factory. Check user manual or warranty booklet for battery details and serial no.
It starts building up after like 20 minutes only after we start the headlights and drive the car. Check the other forum, I have posted photos after 20 minutes, 40 minutes of drive during night time. Since no headlights are used during the day time so no condensation.

It happens on that lower part only. Only once or twice it covered like half of the headlight.

Getting the electrical source for the hair dryer is not possible :(

Unfortunately no info about the battery is present on the manual that's why I asked for the same.

How or via which medium the water can go inside? The headlight unit is a sealed box. From what the dealership has told me, it is just connected to a plug that's it. There is no pipe or anything involved. So, how can the water get in? ...
The Plug... may be "moist air enters the Headlight Assy" thro the Gap around the Plug. By design it is made air tight with rubber gaskets etc. But there is something in YOUR car that may be pushing the plug mildly off its axis; this minor push is leading to a 'cantilever action' at the other end forcing the gasket to open teeny-weeny, letting moist air in. When Head Light is ON, the temperature difference results in Condensation. To me THIS seems to be a strong probability. Ask the A$$ guys to investigate in this angle.

I was silently observing this thread, as my knowledge on Headlights is at rock bottom. But I feel Skoda's response so far is pathetic. I summarized your problem, included a link to this thread and sent a mail to infoline@skoda-auto.cz , with CC to amit.dhingra@skoda-auto.co.in and BCC to customercare@skoda-auto.co.in .

Got an auto-response from infoline@skoda-auto.cz with a Ticket Number (check your PM). Let us see what they do.

.... I summarized your problem, included a link to this thread and sent a mail to infoline@skoda-auto.cz , with CC to amit.dhingra@skoda-auto.co.in and BCC to customercare@skoda-auto.co.in .

Got an auto-response from infoline@skoda-auto.cz with a Ticket Number (check your PM). Let us see what they do.
Update on my mail to Skoda :

1. First reply came at 10:48 am IST, from Mr.Dheeraj Sagar.S, Customer Care, Skoda India (Ph no. 1800 123 090909), asking for the VIN number to address the issue.
  2. The second reply came at 4:38 pm IST, from Mr. Adam Anders (from infoline@skoda-auto.cz) informing me that they have referred it to Skoda India. (Ph No. +420 800 600 000 - Czechoslovakia number --- hope this ISD Code of +420 does not trigger anything falthu)

If OP gives me his mail ID, I can forward these mails to him for his personal follow up. I do not know how to forward these mails to OP's PM. Good luck OP.

Thread Starter #38
No.
They only polish exterior.
That sucks :(

The Plug... may be "moist air enters the Headlight Assy" thro the Gap around the Plug. By design it is made air tight with rubber gaskets etc. But there is something in YOUR car that may be pushing the plug mildly off its axis; this minor push is leading to a 'cantilever action' at the other end forcing the gasket to open teeny-weeny, letting moist air in. When Head Light is ON, the temperature difference results in Condensation. To me THIS seems to be a strong probability. Ask the A$$ guys to investigate in this angle.

I was silently observing this thread, as my knowledge on Headlights is at rock bottom. But I feel Skoda's response so far is pathetic. I summarized your problem, included a link to this thread and sent a mail to infoline@skoda-auto.cz , with CC to amit.dhingra@skoda-auto.co.in and BCC to customercare@skoda-auto.co.in .

Your bold part can also be a probability. Our discussion was also going with Sh. Dhingra ji and his team. There has been unfortunately no progress on this till date.

Update on my mail to Skoda :

1. First reply came at 10:48 am IST, from Mr.Dheeraj Sagar.S, Customer Care, Skoda India (Ph no. 1800 123 090909), asking for the VIN number to address the issue.
  2. The second reply came at 4:38 pm IST, from Mr. Adam Anders (from infoline@skoda-auto.cz) informing me that they have referred it to Skoda India. (Ph No. +420 800 600 000 - Czechoslovakia number --- hope this ISD Code of +420 does not trigger anything falthu)

If OP gives me his mail ID, I can forward these mails to him for his personal follow up. I do not know how to forward these mails to OP's PM. Good luck OP.
Thanks a lot for helping and forwarding it. We already discussed the same with Sh.Dhingra ji.

We are facing the issue every night after we switch on the lights, I think the dealer is not communicating the same well to the concerned. They are just repeating the thing which is written on the manual and which they showed in the video, it meant that if there is any condensation it will go away when the headlights are switched on. But in our case an exact opposite thing is happening.

The dealership said that issue like this has not happened in the past. We talked to many other Superb owners in our city, one of them had the same issue. Their headlights were also replaced twice but the issue didn't go away so after much harassment they sold their car after about a year. The other few owners too have either sold their cars or are about to sell them due to the pathetic service by the dealer.

That sucks :(

Your bold part can also be a probability. Our discussion was also going with Sh. Dhingra ji and his team. There has been unfortunately no progress on this till date.

Thanks a lot for helping and forwarding it. We already discussed the same with Sh.Dhingra ji.

We are facing the issue every night after we switch on the lights, I think the dealer is not communicating the same well to the concerned. They are just repeating the thing which is written on the manual and which they showed in the video, it meant that if there is any condensation it will go away when the headlights are switched on. But in our case an exact opposite thing is happening.

The dealership said that issue like this has not happened in the past. We talked to many other Superb owners in our city, one of them had the same issue. Their headlights were also replaced twice but the issue didn't go away so after much harassment they sold their car after about a year. The other few owners too have either sold their cars or are about to sell them due to the pathetic service by the dealer.
The Problem reported by you, 'though IS a problem, SHOULD NOT BECOME THAT MUCH of a problem to disturb your happiness of owning the Car'. Unfortunately, it appears that Skoda is happy with the sloppy behavior of their Service Center staff. BUT, you did know about it, before committing. "There is no point in worrying about something that is NOT in your Control". Keep moving FORWARD.

YouTube has lot many Videos to sort out "Condensation on Headlights"; they are simple to understand. Best is to show these Videos to the brainy chaps ---> "Physics Lecturers/Professors" . He/She will point you the right Video, which "follows the Law of Physics" and one that DOES NOT foul up with Skoda warranty. Enlist the help of a Local Mechanic to do what the video tells.

Bingo... Problem solved
. Enjoy owning a performance luxury machine [clap]

Thread Starter #40
So, after months of escalation here's what I have found out-

There are only 1 or max 2 dealers of Skoda in every state and they are positioned as God's in Skoda India. Their decision is final. No matter how much you escalate, all the escalations will go to one person in their Mumbai office and he is like the spokesman of the dealers. Maybe this is why their sale numbers will always suck to the core. But why is VW sleeping about this I wonder?

Anyways as per the Skoda forums this thing is fine if it happens during rainy season, but Skoda India has no answer why this is happening with our car every night irrespective of the weather. There is no one in their company that can provide an explanation about this. The dealer is like the biggest scammer I have ever seen.

I got numbers of few other Superb owners in my city. Around 5 of them have sold their cars because they faced the same issue and they were treated in the same way by the dealership. And the dealer told the Skoda engineer when he came here that no other customer has raised this complaint in the past. I forwarded this to Skoda India but it seems that once they get your money they won't give a **** about you.

Moral of the story- NEVER EVER BUY A SKODA CAR IN INDIA.

The Problem reported by you, 'though IS a problem, SHOULD NOT BECOME THAT MUCH of a problem to disturb your happiness of owning the Car'. Unfortunately, it appears that Skoda is happy with the sloppy behavior of their Service Center staff. BUT, you did know about it, before committing. "There is no point in worrying about something that is NOT in your Control". Keep moving FORWARD.

YouTube has lot many Videos to sort out "Condensation on Headlights"; they are simple to understand. Best is to show these Videos to the brainy chaps ---> "Physics Lecturers/Professors" . He/She will point you the right Video, which "follows the Law of Physics" and one that DOES NOT foul up with Skoda warranty. Enlist the help of a Local Mechanic to do what the video tells.

Bingo... Problem solved. Enjoy owning a performance luxury machine[clap]
I think you are talking about these kinda DIY's techniques, right?
moisture in headlights in superb - YouTube

Few queries
1. About the old school silica gel technique, the headlights were replaced twice and on the same night there was condensation. How will the silica gel help then?
2. Tons of people are telling me to get them out and dry them using a dryer, but again same query as point number 1.

Then there is an issue of warranty as it will be sealed using permaseal and a good mechanic who can do it.

An update about the bold part. This is as per the info from those Skoda forums. So, the headlight is complete sealed unit, a member posted a photo here too-
Condensation Issue in Headlights
Now as per the Skoda engineer it has vents to let the cold air in and another vent to let the hot air out and this hot and cool air causes condensation. I am absolutely fine by it. BUT he has no answer as in why I am facing it everyday. I haven't seen any other owner in my city and on the internet who faced it everyday. Plus in my case it keeps on increasing which is really bad.

Thread Starter #41
@bhvm @CRACING and other respected members
So, the condensation is still there, thanks skoda. Anyways what I am noticing in the winters is that it forms at a great pace like the below photos are after 30 minutes drive and check the extreme right and left side, see that rainbow effect? I am beginning to wonder that there indeed might be water or something there. I touched it outer part and it was way too cold. And the engineer said 100+ degrees

Another doubt, I keep on getting this tyre pressure error mostly while driving say after a week or 10 days regularly. I posted photos about the same in the earlier posts. I went to the dealership last month for this, they told me to open tyre in settings and click on set tyre pressure whenever I get this error and after doing that the error goes away but it comes back after 7 to 10 days. Since I don't trust these guys+ its only from the past 2 months that I am getting this error regularly so does this sound like a malfunction of the tyre pressure sensor or something? Any fixes that you guys might recommend?

bhvm

Honoured Member
The SA does not know what he's saying. No Plausible explanation for Condensation. Guess this is what Indians get for spending hard earned money on an International product. These brands should be shunned from the country.

Else, check the actual tyre pressures by a digital gauge or any reputed tyre shop. They might be slowly loosing air. Or it might be the sensor as you mentioned.

Thread Starter #43
The SA does not know what he's saying. No Plausible explanation for Condensation. Guess this is what Indians get for spending hard earned money on an International product. These brands should be shunned from the country.

Else, check the actual tyre pressures by a digital gauge or any reputed tyre shop. They might be slowly loosing air. Or it might be the sensor as you mentioned.
Planning to use a digital gauge, can you recommend a good one from an online source? Got one few months back when I started getting this problem at first, but it was pure chinese junk. Why I want to go for a gauge is because it only shows this loss of tyre pressure in rear right tyre only and that too while driving. So, it will be better if I have a gauge with me at that time.

Point 4.jpg

Last edited:
Planning to use a digital gauge, can you recommend a good one from an online source? Got one few months back when I started getting this problem at first, but it was pure chinese junk. Why I want to go for a gauge is because it only shows this loss of tyre pressure in rear right tyre only and that too while driving. So, it will be better if I have a gauge with me at that time.

View attachment 252013
TWO possible reasons: (a) the valve might be leaking and (2) there could be a problem in the path "tyre pressure sensor - cable - diagnostic computer". A Valve problem "takes considerable time to be noticed"; usually between 4 days to 2 weeks. Branded "tubeless tyre valve set" costs about Rs 60-120. Try changing that in the problematic tyre. If the problem still continues, it is "Reason-2" then. Only Skoda guys can help you out; show them the bill of new valve 'to motivate them to work' [frustration]

Top Bottom