Comparison: Tata vs Ashok Leyland H/LMVs

Only the technology is imported, not the engines per se. There was some buzz a couple of years ago about AL developing Neptune series of engines on their own. Don't know if any of their trucks are powered by that engine these days.
Yep.
Neptune engine and U truck platform were abuzz. U truck landed but Neptune engines haven't yet.

In CVs Tata Motors is far ahead. In buses their 1512c ex and 1618c are the best sellers. And South is obsessed to AL and all other parts obsessed to TML. And on the Prima range, they came under Tata world truck project way before Daewoo acquisition. Its a proud product from India.

I guess that most of the TATA motors engines are based on Mercedez Benz truck engines used on first generation trucks and present engines are came from TATA Daewoo and TATA Hipsona

Yep.
Neptune engine and U truck platform were abuzz. U truck landed but Neptune engines haven't yet.
Neptune engines and U truck platforms are from AVIA Trucks that owned by AL

I believe DICV owned Bharatbenz is going to eat into a major chunk of Tata & AL sales. If Volvo or Man could replicate their strategy, monopoly of the Indians could be over very soon.

I guess that most of the TATA motors engines are based on Mercedez Benz truck engines used on first generation trucks and present engines are came from TATA Daewoo and TATA Hipsona

Neptune engines and U truck platforms are from AVIA Trucks that owned by AL

Tata heavy duty trucks employ Cummins engines (sourced from Tata-Cummins and Cummins India). They are the world leaders in Heavy duty diesel engine technology. This is common practice. Some of their engines in LCVs, however, are developed in-house, probably derived from old Mercedes designs.

Neptune engines are homegrown, developed with assistance from AVL.

Last edited:
In CVs Tata Motors is far ahead. In buses their 1512c ex and 1618c are the best sellers. And South is obsessed to AL and all other parts obsessed to TML. And on the Prima range, they came under Tata world truck project way before Daewoo acquisition. Its a proud product from India.
It all depends upon the buyer and his market situation my friend, In the south region AL is preferred for their reliability and service back-up.

Both are preferred for different reasons.

It all depends upon the buyer and his market situation my friend, In the south region AL is preferred for their reliability and service back-up.

Both are preferred for different reasons.
Yes. That is what I said. AL has majority for buses in the south. But for CVs its Tata Motors for sure. And in North Tata buses are in majority.

Top Bottom