Comfort Came Home - Toyota Corolla Altis Diesel

Thread Starter #47
Went for a trip to Velankanni Church on my new Altis Diesel, a journey of 1000 km (to and fro ) and returned a mileage of 17 kmpl. About 300 km were express ways and the rest were hill stations and bumpy roads. Most of the times the average speed was about 110 kph (ie: 90 - 120). And some times 140 -145 kph. Four adults were in the car with less than 40 kg of luggage and with AC 100% ON. Never went above 3500 rpm ( i tried to keep it less than 2500 rpm ).

Pickup was not at all a problem even on steep hilly roads. It is difficult to believe that this car is having only a 1400cc engine. What does the trick ? VGT or Toyota ?!!!

Went for a trip to Velankanni Church on my new Altis Diesel, a journey of 1000 km (to and fro ) and returned a mileage of 17 kmpl. About 300 km were express ways and the rest were hill stations and bumpy roads. Most of the times the average speed was about 110 kph (ie: 90 - 120). And some times 140 -145 kph. Four adults were in the car with less than 40 kg of luggage and with AC 100% ON. Never went above 3500 rpm ( i tried to keep it less than 2500 rpm ).

Pickup was not at all a problem even on steep hilly roads. It is difficult to believe that this car is having only a 1400cc engine. What does the trick ? VGT or Toyota ?!!!
Same here dear,the car does really well on the highways and especially once the turbo comes to life.
About pickup on steep hilly roads,for that you must visit the roads of Himalayas here in UP,Himanchal or Uttarakhand.
Altis moves ahead only until its revving above 2000 rpm,but yes at this rev range it moves like it has a lot of power.But still never ever make it bog down on an incline else it will be an issue for you.

Remember, Altis Diesel is not a car for road racers but for those who love sedate driving. But once the rpm is around 2000 this car shows the power of VGT. I think this car is meant for business class than crazy young guys.
D-4D common rail diesel engine with variable nozzle turbo and intercooler & not the (VGT) Variable Geometry Turbocharger

Nevertheless, keep turbocharger aside, Hearty congratulations on your new acquisition of the beauty Keep happy and safe [drive]

Thread Starter #51
D-4D common rail diesel engine with variable nozzle turbo and intercooler & not the (VGT) Variable Geometry Turbocharger

Nevertheless, keep turbocharger aside, Hearty congratulations on your new acquisition of the beauty Keep happy and safe [drive]
Maruti and Hyundai calls VTGs as VGT while Toyota call it a VNT.
A Variable Turbine Geometry (VTG) turbocharger is also known as a variable geometry turbocharger (VGT), or a Variable Nozzle Turbine (VNT). [cheers]

Last edited:
Hey Vivian guess i had missed this Thread before,was the number auctioned or is there a fixed price for it.

Ya diff makers call same tech using diff names ,even though all our diesel engines are CRDI Hyundai holds the rights for the name here in India thanks to being the first to lauch Accent Crdi,that is why you will see Crde on Mahindra.

Like Vtec is for Honda & vvti is for Toyota

Whoa thats is such a Bargain,are you sure its not 1 lakh??

But i guess numbers like 9 & 1 have auction cos i see lot of fortuners & bmws from Kerela with that number

Thread Starter #56
Whoa thats is such a Bargain,are you sure its not 1 lakh??

But i guess numbers like 9 & 1 have auction cos i see lot of fortuners & bmws from Kerela with that number
No, it's only 10k for number 2 and 3 in kerala while number 1 costs 1L a fixed price and 5,7 and 9 is fixed to minimum 25K. And 4,6 and 8 are regular numbers only. At the time of our corolla's registration the only single digit available was number 2 and the number 99 also was there. I always like single digit number for my car. I really thought there would be hot auction bids for number 2 but nobody came as a threat. We were ready to spend about 25-30K for the number. At last we got it for just 10K rupees the fixed price itself. [:D]

About numbers being auctioned,have anyone heard of a number called '0786'..
Nothing is more expensive than this one.
Ot-Well its not only expensive but hard to get,i have a friend who has Range Rover,Audi's,Porshes,Bmw etc but he has settled for 768 for all his cars instead.

No, it's only 10k for number 2 and 3 in kerala while number 1 costs 1L a fixed price and 5,7 and 9 is fixed to minimum 25K. And 4,6 and 8 are regular numbers only. At the time of our corolla's registration the only single digit available was number 2 and the number 99 also was there. I always like single digit number for my car. I really thought there would be hot auction bids for number 2 but nobody came as a threat. We were ready to spend about 25-30K for the number. At last we got it for just 10K rupees the fixed price itself. [:D]
I am led to believe everything is expensive in my state now,even if you want to choose a number from the current series one must pay 25000,but i always choose a number where the last number is not the least,so single digit numbers are too expensive as they have a basic price of 75000 here.Not to mention our high road tax [frustration]

It is definitely the VGT turbo that does the trick my friend [:)]. Actually I am a big fan of D-4D engines. I must say, its both toyota & VGT because VGT turbo has bigger intake manifold into the engine when compared to FGT in etios. Which means, you simply cannot bolt on VGT turbo to the etios engine since the holes won't match.

The working of VGT turbo
Toyota D-4D Turbo Features - YouTube

Here is another video on how injector & turbo helps in eliminating waste particles in Diesel Particulate Filter. Actually you are lucky that your car doesn't come with a DPF. In future they might install a DPF for matching Euro IV emission norms.
D-4D Toyota Avensis - YouTube

It was a nice review Vivian. Hope your D-4D is loyal to you in its service and you probably would have clocked more than 100k clicks on your ODO.

All these days I was thinking qrong about Altis Diesel, as underpowered, slow turtle, slow ache and what not. However your review opened my eyes that Altis Diesel is a premium D segmenter for business class and a boon for sedate driveers like me.

Definitely I would consider Altis Diesel for my upgrade. Would appreciate your opinions and views about the current gen (New one) Altis Diesel.

I am in the market for a D segmenter mile muncher with oil burner engine. I pushed out Elantra Diesel since I don't think the Verna's 1.6 CRDI would do its duty so well in bigger & heavier Elantra, which, for sure is a slow ache, Petrol 2.0 Elantra is a sprinter though.

Skoda Octavia is totally out of reach in terms of my budget. I always have had a dream of owning at least one Toyota in my life.

Kindly share your views on the new gen Diesel Altis.

Thanks
Kumar

Top Bottom