Chromeplate Existing Bike Crash Guard or Buy New One?

Re: which is economical new crashguard or chromeplating rusted one

Apart from looks first check strength of your coastguard it is most important safety feature for any bike.

Thread Starter #3

apart from scattered rusting at some areas when my bike fell on the ground strength is okay

Apart from looks first check strength of your coastguard it is most important safety feature for any bike.
Strongly disagree, A crash guard is never the most important safety feature of a bike. A rider with a proper full face helmet and riding gear is.

OK, but it is one of the.If your bike skids then it is important.

OK, but it is one of the.If your bike skids then it is important.
Crash guards and bars are meant to protect the bike, Not the rider. Its a misconception that it is there to protect the rider or pillion for that matter.

OK, Imagine if there is no crash guard and the bike skids then it can easily damage leg.If the bike falls on rider then what?
Sorry for :offtopic:

OK, Imagine if there is no crash guard and the bike skids then it can easily damage leg.If the bike falls on rider then what?
Sorry for :offtopic:

Ever seen any Super bike with a crash bar? They are the most lethal of the lot and they need them the most if crash bars or guards actually were that protective.

Surf the net for the 'Hurt Report'. And in that see 39. Crash bars are not an effective injury countermeasure; the reduction of injury to the ankle-foot is balanced by increase of injury to the thigh-upper leg, knee, and lower leg.

Experts in motorcycle safety like Warner Riley have been critical of crash bars. The general consensus is that a crash has to happen in just the right way for them to offer any kind of protection. For the crash bar to be effective, the rider can't be launched from the bike during a crash. If the rider stays on the bike, though, there is a chance the bar will trap the rider under the bike, causing more damage than a bike without the bars.

And moreover I've personally been at the receiving end of multiple crashes while at motocross and other Motorsport events and practice. We never use crash bars and I still haven't broken any of my legs.

The main thing worth remembering is you wont fall of the bike in ideal conditions for the crash bar or guard to save your legs while in a crash almost 90% of the time.

Mods: Sorry for going Off Topic. I think there was a thread somewhere on crash bars and Motorcycles. I wasn't able to find it on search. Please move the posts there if such a thread exists.

hey friends what i wanted was an answer not safety point of crashguard
If there is no corrosion on the insides of the guard, Then Electro plating is not such a bad idea. If the person doing the work is good at it, You can actually get a better finish then what you get in an off the counter brand new crash Guard. And the costs wont be that much of a hindrance. I'm unsure of the current back to back rates as its been a long while since I've done electro plating on anything I have.

Its better to go for a new one rather than chromeplating it. However, if it has no traces of rust/corrosion, you may go for repainting.

Top Bottom