Choosing The Right Engine Oil

For old cars like Omni, 20w40 is recommended. Older K series engines should get 5w30 and the latest ones should get 0w20. Period.

Get what's mentioned in your owners manual. I for a fact am sure that you need 0w20. If SA is adamant, as them to show a grade change circular sent by Maruti

I bought the V15 recently. The listed Grade is 20W50.
Please advise if I should top up the oil on regular basis/monthly basis or wait till the time i go for Service ?

Also, Please suggest 1 or 2 Engine oils which you have used with good results. I don't drive my bike too hard, and usually pace it around 50 Km/Hr. Planning for a trip till Nainital from Noida, shortly, so any suggestions regarding the oil for that ?

Thread Starter #229
I bought the V15 recently. The listed Grade is 20W50.
Please advise if I should top up the oil on regular basis/monthly basis or wait till the time i go for Service ?

Also, Please suggest 1 or 2 Engine oils which you have used with good results. I don't drive my bike too hard, and usually pace it around 50 Km/Hr. Planning for a trip till Nainital from Noida, shortly, so any suggestions regarding the oil for that ?
It would be best to top off as necessary to keep it within the recommended range, the frequency of which would likely depend on your engine condition and use.

I'm seemingly biased toward Castrol products, so I currently use Power1, but have also had good feedback on Shell oils.

Hello team,
I had previously used 5W30 API SN Castrol Magnatec Part Synthetic engine oil for my Maruti 800 (Carburettor).
The recommended oil grade is actually 40 and not 30 but I had no issues. Used it for about 5000kms and got an oil change done.

I came across AcDelco 5W40 API SN Supreme Plus which says Fully Synthetic. It is a subsidiary of General Motors. I couldn't find any reviews online about the same. I haven't run much post oil change to really give you all a feedback on it.
More than synthetic or part synthetic, what I care about is the rating and grade.

Please do let me know about AcDelco engine oil if you have used it.

Regards,
Astralbliss

Thread Starter #231
Although I don't know anybody using this oil, ACDelco has a good reputation for their spare parts, and being manufacturer-backed, I can't see there being an issue with their oils either.

However, I noticed a couple of odd things. For one, this oil isn't claimed to be SN grade anywhere but India (eg. ACDelco 5w40 Supreme Plus | G&M Auto - Automotive parts). Also, it isn't mentioned in the ACDelco India Lube Catalogue (http://acdelco-india.com/public/product-pdf/lubes.pdf). In fact, their online catalog has no SN grade Petrol engine oils.

I am not sure if it's genuine AcDelco product. I was just curious to try it out. Got it for cheap priced at Rs1800 for 3.5 L.
Idling is very rough. Feels a little smooth while running and once engine is at optimum temperature, NVH reduces a little at idling.

Well, good quality oils are expensive for a reason I guess. The running was way smooth with Castrol Magnatec. But I was really worried about it being 5W30 even though I had no issues. Oil level had reduced only due to a leakage at the Oil pressure pressure switch which I had got it replaced.

Still, it's too soon to say as I haven't run much since the oil change.

Thread Starter #233
Yeah I'm honestly skeptical - but please keep us updated!

Agreed, the outcomes definitely speak for themselves, with oil.

Hi members,
This is an update on the 'AcDelco' 5W40 oil I'm presently using in my car.
STAY AWAY from AcDelco 5W40 API SN Supreme Plus 'fully synthetic' is what I'd basically tell you.

There is still a lot of vibrations while on idling and the engine performance isn't so great. I definitely don't feel the smoothness it had while on Castrol.
Now, this is not an AcDelco bashing post, but as far as this particular grade of oil is concerned, it's better avoided as it isn't mentioned in their official catalogue that you can find online.

Regards,
Astralbliss

Hello All,
I need your suggestion.
My Car has completed 9000 kms and due for 2nd service. I am planning to go for Synthetic Oil.
Do I go for Shell or at Hyundai Service center to put their Synthetic Oil which they used.
If Shell, shall I go for Shell HELIX ULTRA AH 5W-30.
If I change the oil at Shell, will Hyundai Service center object this?
Will synthetic oil improve the performance?

Thanks

Hi anrasg,
Stick to the regular mineral oil for now since your car is just getting it's 2nd service. It is better to let the engine run for about 15,000 KMs before you switch to fully synthetic engine oils.

It's better to have a word with your SA on this and I don't think it should cause any trouble as long as you stick to the recommended grade of oil.

Will synthetic oils improve performance? Yes, they do make the engine much more smoother and you can feel the difference once you get driving. However, you cannot just expect such good performance from any 'Synthetic' oil as it depends on the oil grades and good ones are expensive.

Regards,
Astralbliss

Thread Starter #237
Stick to the regular mineral oil for now since your car is just getting it's 2nd service. It is better to let the engine run for about 15,000 KMs before you switch to fully synthetic engine oils.
This isn't strictly accurate. As discussed in the initial post here, there is no demonstrable reason to wait before switching to synthetic oil. In fact, the higher detergent content would likely prove particularly helpful during the initial breaking-in stage.

Increasingly, new vehicles are coming straight from the factory with synthetic oil (contingent on the economics, of course) and never run on mineral oil through their lifetime.

It's better to have a word with your SA on this and I don't think it should cause any trouble as long as you stick to the recommended grade of oil.

Will synthetic oils improve performance? Yes, they do make the engine much more smoother and you can feel the difference once you get driving. However, you cannot just expect such good performance from any 'Synthetic' oil as it depends on the oil grades and good ones are expensive.
Completely agreed with this.

Do I go for Shell or at Hyundai Service center to put their Synthetic Oil which they used.
If Shell, shall I go for Shell HELIX ULTRA AH 5W-30.
If I change the oil at Shell, will Hyundai Service center object this?
Will synthetic oil improve the performance?

Thanks
Shell oils are typically some of the best out there, but I'm not seeing the one you mentioned anywhere. Do you mean "AH-L"? If so, that's about as good as it gets, with its SN friction rating and high durability.

Oil changes are simple. As long as the oil and filter quality remains consistent between the workshops, there wouldn't be much of a difference in the result.

What do you mean by Hyundai "objecting" to your choice?

@Astralbliss addressed the performance question already.

Shell 5W-40 OR 5W-30: Best Fully Synthetic Oil For Hyundai Elite i20 1.4 CRDi?

Hyundai recommends ACEA B4 classification engine oil for i20 diesel engine. They have recommended 15W-40, 10W-30, 5W-30 and OW-30 for Diesel engine. Did not see 5W-40 in their user manual. But heard that many have used Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 for the diesel i20. Would like to know their experience. If any problem such as void in warranty may occur.

Hi everyone,

This is an update on my 800's oil change.
I had posted about my previous oil change in this thread. NVH levels were high and I was just not happy with it. I don't even know if that AcDelco oil was genuine.

Last month, I switched to Motul 5W40 API SN. After running for a few 100kms, I can feel the difference. It is much more smooth on idle and the engine performs much better.
I made the wrong decision of getting wider tires (165/60 R12) and it does take a toll on the internals. Less FE means the engine is working harder. (145/70 R12 is the best for 800. Period).
So previously, the running was more rough. Now, it feels much smoother on long drives as well.

Initially Maruti Suzuki Kseries engine came with 5w-30 grade oil. But later it changed to 0w-20 grade on almost all Kseries engines.

Now Maruti comes up with even more thinner grade, 0W-16 for the new kseries engine.

Planning to have a try in my 2009 k10b engine.

Top Bottom