Choosing The Right Engine Oil

I got a K10 three weeks ago. The first free service is around the corner. I read here and there that switching to synthetic should ideally be done after the break in period. I calculate I'd do 1000 km by month end in time for the first service. My query is should I go with mineral for now or simply switch to 0w-20 recommended by Maruti for the new K-10 engine? Mycarhelpline website says MGA recommends Shell Helix 0w-20.

Thread Starter #214
I got a K10 three weeks ago. The first free service is around the corner. I read here and there that switching to synthetic should ideally be done after the break in period. I calculate I'd do 1000 km by month end in time for the first service. My query is should I go with mineral for now or simply switch to 0w-20 recommended by Maruti for the new K-10 engine? Mycarhelpline website says MGA recommends Shell Helix 0w-20.
I'd actually say 1000 Km is too soon for a first oil/filter change, assuming normal (not harsh) usage. Ideally, you should aim for 3000 - 5000 Km for the first change.

You can switch to synthetic right away, the claim that you should switch only after the break-in period is all but obsolete for modern engines.

This time i have bought MOBIL 4Lts fully synthetic engine oil for dezire diesel for 3500 rs from maruti genuine part shop as this lasts 20k kms

Thread Starter #216
This time i have bought MOBIL 4Lts fully synthetic engine oil for dezire diesel for 3500 rs from maruti genuine part shop as this lasts 20k kms
Nice, please post feedback here after using it for a while!

Guys, I am totally pissed here. I need to replace the servo oil in my Baleno with 0w-20 synthetic oil. I am aware thi oil is available MGO Shell and MGO Total outside Mumbai. But none of the MG retail sellers have even the 3.5L cans of 0W-20 even in servo. They told me that 0w-20 is only available in drums even from MS. Even the oil retailers in Mumbai dont seem to have this oil in any make other than Servo. I called Shell directly who gave me a retailer's number who, in turn, gave me two mobile numbers- of Mr Mohan and Mr Shrijit. The first number is does not exist and the second wont receive calls or revert on call or even sms. When I called the dealer back, the guy said there was no one else.

So does anyone know where I can source the oil??

Ameyam

Last edited:
Thread Starter #219
Guys, I am totally pissed here. I need to replace the servo oil in my Baleno with 0w-20 synthetic oil. I am aware thi oil is available MGO Shell and MGO Total outside Mumbai. But none of the MG retail sellers have even the 3.5L cans of 0W-20 even in servo. They told me that 0w-20 is only available in drums even from MS. Even the oil retailers in Mumbai dont seem to have this oil in any make other than Servo. I called Shell directly who gave me a retailer's number who, in turn, gave me two mobile numbers- of Mr Mohan and Mr Shrijit. The first number is does not exist and the second wont receive calls or revert on call or even sms. When I called the dealer back, the guy said there was no one else.

So does anyone know where I can source the oil??

Ameyam
Have you tried sourcing Mobil oil? Some members running 0W20 mentioned that this was easier to find and that they had great results.

suggest me best engine oil for maruti k10 [2014] car covered 12500 km till now
That's similar to one of my vehicles, for which I've been using Magnatec 5W30 with great results. However, others have had similar results with Mobil1 0W20 as well. I'd suggest you use the original post as a reference to choose between the 2 based on your usage.

Think of it as a 5-minute investment into a healthier life for your engine.

I am stuck here, during my 2nd servicing of my Celerio AMT, i asked the SA about the engine oil change on my 3rd servicing and also about the 0W20 full synthetic oil, to which he told me they used 5W30 in petrol cars. 0W20 according to him was for old maruti suzuki cars like omni. I was pissed off. Manager is never to be found and phone calls are not received, once he received and told hey only use 5W30.

On being told that the car manual recommends 0W20, he said is a old printed copy. Stupidity at its heights.

Bummer from Maruti Suzuki. [anger]

What shall i do next? Although i have my 10000 km / 3rd servicing after few months, i was alarmed by this egoistic output of MASS.

:help:

I am using Liqui Moly Toptec 4100 5W40 full synthetic 5 ltr which i purchased at INR 3800 (MRP 6100++) and Shell Helix Ultra for another car which i purchased at INR 2680 (MRP 5400++).

I find these oils are best in synthetic oil range and prices are lucrative

any comments

Thread Starter #222
I am using Liqui Moly Toptec 4100 5W40 full synthetic 5 ltr which i purchased at INR 3800 (MRP 6100++) and Shell Helix Ultra for another car which i purchased at INR 2680 (MRP 5400++).

I find these oils are best in synthetic oil range and prices are lucrative

any comments
Very nice! How did you get them so cheap?

Last edited:
On being told that the car manual recommends 0W20, he said is a old printed copy. Stupidity at its heights.
Bummer from Maruti Suzuki. [anger]
:help:

I am curious to know what you did next? I think most of the K series petrol 1000 cc and above need SAE 0w-20 engine oil. Same is mentioned as recommended engine oil in my Ignis manual as well. I heard that the 0w-20 oil is easily available in most of the Maruti service centers.

I am curious to know what you did next? I think most of the K series petrol 1000 cc and above need SAE 0w-20 engine oil. Same is mentioned as recommended engine oil in my Ignis manual as well. I heard that the 0w-20 oil is easily available in most of the Maruti service centers.
My engine oil change due for next week as i will near 10000 kms soon. I emailed to Maruti Suzuki online and i got response and they assured its 0W20 oil and they will get the things right, will only come to know when I visit the service center soon.
But this incident really dented my Trust on the service center. God knows on how many cars they mix up with different engine oil grades and i end up finding my car interiors dirtier after their service.

Last edited:

Top Bottom