Choosing The Right Engine Oil

Engine oils and Air Intake filters are the highly debatable topics., both are having its own pros and cons.

If you are a person who has a very less monthly usage and with no abuse, then you can go for mineral oil. Or else you must use synthetic oil or atleast a semi-synthetic engine oil for you vehicle.

The main reason for asking you to use synthetic oil why because it does harm our earth less than 3 times than that of a mineral oil because of its larger oil change intervals and better recycling ability.
If you are a true eco-friendly HUMAN BEING then Do your part.

When speaking about Synthetic oils everybody will start cursing about its cost.
If you can afford a vehicle and its running cost then seriously synthetic engine oil is not an impossible thing to get.

You can easily stretch the oil change intervals and it can also withstand engine abuses to a great extend.

Thread Starter #17
The point is our modern tech engines do not need special additives and detergents which are in synthetic
The semi synthetic oil which most of the car makers recommend is enough.
And as per my experience a semi synthetic oil changed at 5000-6000kms is good for the engines as all my cars crossed these much kms only because of this practice.
People in forum experience shared.
The posts remember me of the booklets which comes with some oil companies which they use to promote their product.
Do not fall on it use good semi synthetic recommended and if you people think my experience have anything to do with you then change on 5000-6000kms.
Viru you continue, i am done.
(Facepalm) I'm sorry for being blunt, but are you deliberately being obtuse now? I can't find any other explanation for your ignorance.

For the millionth time: EVERY OIL LABELED AS SYNTHETIC IN THE MARKET IS A BLEND OF SYNTHETIC AND MINERAL, THERE IS LITTLE/NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN "SEMI-SYNTHETIC" AND "SYNTHETIC". The technology of our engines is what allow them to exploit these detergents (WHICH ARE PRESENT IN ALL OILS, but MORE are present in synthetic blends) to their full capacity, preventing Carbon buildup.

And most people don't like flushing their money down the toilet by changing their oil more than twice as much as is necessary, there are plenty of people who stretch their intervals and do not experience any issues. This is called product development, companies recommend a lower interval because they know people often try to stretch the intervals, still not a recommended practice.

I like the way you make excuses because you can't accept that I am going through the frustration of dealing with you simply to help the people on the forum! Not a single time in this thread have I promoted a specific brand or product.

Engine oils and Air Intake filters are the highly debatable topics., both are having its own pros and cons.

If you are a person who has a very less monthly usage and with no abuse, then you can go for mineral oil. Or else you must use synthetic oil or atleast a semi-synthetic engine oil for you vehicle.

The main reason for asking you to use synthetic oil why because it does harm our earth less than 3 times than that of a mineral oil because of its larger oil change intervals and better recycling ability.
If you are a true eco-friendly HUMAN BEING then Do your part.

When speaking about Synthetic oils everybody will start cursing about its cost.
If you can afford a vehicle and its running cost then seriously synthetic engine oil is not an impossible thing to get.

You can easily stretch the oil change intervals and it can also withstand engine abuses to a great extend.
Just saying, from where I used to live, and be forced to off-road on a daily basis, there is a surprising correlation between the air filter and how messed up your oil gets over time.

+1 Synthetic blends are 100% worth the minor price difference, it will definitely pay back over time!

By the ways, is there any way to recycle our old oil in India? I hate having to pour it down a drain and poison the earth. Otherwise I find an alternate use for the old oil [;)]

By the ways, is there any way to recycle our old oil in India? I hate having to pour it down a drain and poison the earth. Otherwise I find an alternate use for the old oil [;)]
No Viru, I have no Idea about that.
That is the reason why I do oil changes from the servicing center itself, so atleast my near by areas wont get contaminated.

there are some guys/agents collecting the used oils from all workshops/Sc. i am not sure what they doing with them. I heard that they do reycle this and selling this as loose oil.

Thread Starter #20
No Viru, I have no Idea about that.
That is the reason why I do oil changes from the servicing center itself, so atleast my near by areas wont get contaminated.
Some service centers are so annoying that I feel like making them drink the old oil! [LOL]
Maybe as TAI-gers we should work on a motion to introduce oil recycling facilities in India!

there are some guys/agents collecting the used oils from all workshops/Sc. i am not sure what they doing with them. I heard that they do reycle this and selling this as loose oil.
Interesting, like oil for general purpose machinery?

Hello friends,

I have Toyota Etios Diesel which has clocked 105000 kms.

I always change the Engine Oil at Toyota Authorised Service Centre every 10,000 kms as recommended by TOYOTA.

The oil is a Semi Synthetic one.

I had tried Toyota FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL at 20k km, 30k km, and 40k km, but felt NO difference in the engine performance as well as engine smoothness and noise.

So i again reverted back to TOYOTA Semi Synthetic oil and still have no problem with the engine performance.

Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah.

Thread Starter #22
Hello friends,

I have Toyota Etios Diesel which has clocked 105000 kms.

I always change the Engine Oil at Toyota Authorised Service Centre every 10,000 kms as recommended by TOYOTA.

The oil is a Semi Synthetic one.

I had tried Toyota FULLY SYNTHETIC OIL at 20k km, 30k km, and 40k km, but felt NO difference in the engine performance as well as engine smoothness and noise.

So i again reverted back to TOYOTA Semi Synthetic oil and still have no problem with the engine performance.

Regards,
Dr.Abhay Shah.
Welcome to TAI!

Well, the difference between what they label "Semi synthetic" and "Synthetic" is purely a marketing one, because although the one labeled "Synthetic" has ~10% more synthetic content, it makes absolutely no difference to the car.

What does make a difference is the viscosity ratings, friction ratings and oil additives (Details in the first post of this thread). Play around with these and you will definitely notice a difference!

Ps. It's quite impressive that your Etios is at 105,000 kms! [surprise] How old is it?

Welcome to TAI!

Well, the difference between what they label "Semi synthetic" and "Synthetic" is purely a marketing one, because although the one labeled "Synthetic" has ~10% more synthetic content, it makes absolutely no difference to the car.

What does make a difference is the viscosity ratings, friction ratings and oil additives (Details in the first post of this thread). Play around with these and you will definitely notice a difference!

Ps. It's quite impressive that your Etios is at 105,000 kms! [surprise] How old is it?

Its 3 years old. [:)]

My thought is, Manufacturer is recommending mineral oil and that is the basic need of a vehicle.

Now its upto us how to pamper our car, whether with local wine with required result or with premium wine (imported classic aged) which might or might not be more effective as compared with local one. I guess this is more realistic example.

PS: It depends upon frequency of consuming of wine as well.. [;)] (Read usage of car).

I hope this comic example implies the thoughts of most of the fun-loving members.

IMO, result will be more or less the same.

THESE ARE MY PERSONAL OPINIONS , No offence at all with other members replies.

Last edited:
I think an important point should be the average speed that the car is driven to determine the period of oil change. I am amazed that vw recommend the same 15k interval for their cars on fixed service in Germany as well as here. In most cases the time that the engine spent on covering that would be significantly higher here. Therefore the recommended kms should be shorter. An ideal situation would be where the ecu calculates the various parameters and then flashes a signal on the dashboard that an oil change is necessary. On an entirely different note I recommend that less use is made of the 'quote' facility as most of us would have enough intelligence to understand the context of the post.

Thread Starter #27
My thought is, Manufacturer is recommending mineral oil and that is the basic need of a vehicle.

Now its upto us how to pamper our car, whether with local wine with required result or with premium wine (imported classic aged) which might or might not be more effective as compared with local one. I guess this is more realistic example.

PS: It depends upon frequency of consuming of wine as well.. [;)] (Read usage of car).

I hope this comic example implies the thoughts of most of the fun-loving members.

IMO, result will be more or less the same.
I love your analogy! [:D] In a way, you are right that the main benefits will be noticeable only in the long term. The short term benefits such as fuel economy can manifest to different degrees in different cars. But spending on the better wine can also help indirectly reduce wear on other components, so IMO it's worth the small price difference.

An ideal situation would be where the ecu calculates the various parameters and then flashes a signal on the dashboard that an oil change is necessary. On an entirely different note I recommend that less use is made of the 'quote' facility as most of us would have enough intelligence to understand the context of the post.
I think some high-end cars are being fitted with that these days, but some of them just count time or kms instead of proper quality monitoring.

You're right about the 'quote' function being overused, but I think it comes in handy when more than 2 members are involved in a discussion, such as now. [;)] I will try to avoid using it now.

I think an important point should be the average speed that the car is driven to determine the period of oil change. I am amazed that vw recommend the same 15k interval for their cars on fixed service in Germany as well as here. In most cases the time that the engine spent on covering that would be significantly higher here. Therefore the recommended kms should be shorter. An ideal situation would be where the ecu calculates the various parameters and then flashes a signal on the dashboard that an oil change is necessary. On an entirely different note I recommend that less use is made of the 'quote' facility as most of us would have enough intelligence to understand the context of the post.
OIL LIFE INDICATOR come in two basic varieties; Algorithm-based and Direct measurement.
Algorithm-based works without any sensors and their calculations is based on Engine work done, distance covered, temperature variations etc. where as Direct Measurement works with sensors to check the conductivity, thickness, presence of water etc.

Yes, those types of vehicles are claiming to be low maintenance vehicles by increasing their oil change interval. Anyways semi synthetic and fully synthetic oils wont loose their lubricating properties too early.

Regarding the Quote.
*Quoting helps the readers to easily understand the matter without going back to their previous post.
*Instead of quoting we can just initiate with @name if the matter is not much specific to their previous post or if the matter is not that important.
*If you are questing or pointing about ones statement, then we should quote and be sure to quote it more precisely instead of quoting the whole post. So we can avoid confusions.

Regards.,

Last edited:
My car is due for 20K service+oil change. However, the question that i'm asking is that Ford 1.4 TDCi manual mentions to use only 5W30 diesel oil meeting Ford's WSS-M2C-913-B/C specifications. I've found out very few oils available in India meet those specifications. Namely, Castrol Magnatec 5W30 A1 FS oil. However, that oil comes with its own disadvantages, i. e. , Castrol A1 is CF grade oil. This CF grade was used for pre 2000 engines and now the modern oils have reached CJ specs. So my questions are :

1. What are these Fords WSS-M2C-913-B/C specs and why should/shouldn't we stick to them ?
2. The recommended oil viscosity is 5W30. However, the OP has mentioned that it is fine to use 5W40 oil if we do more highway/spirited driving(which I of course do :) ). What exactly should I do ?
3. How's Mobil Devlac 1 ESP in terms of Performance & NVH? This oil is CJ-4 compliant but it fails on 2 points - 1stly it s a 5W40 oil(instead of 5W30) and 2ndly it does not meet Ford's WSS-****** specs. Should I use it or not in my ride's engine ?

Last edited:
Hi,
As of my understanding, Each and every Car manual is a common booklet. We need to choose the oil based on our environment.
For Instance, Consider two places, One is a high altitude area and the Temperature will not even cross 20 or 24 degrees, and another place where the temperature is around 45 to 50 degrees. In both the places the same Model Car (ex : Ford fiesta) is used, do you think the same Oil will be efficient to these cars in two different places.

Top Bottom