Choosing The Right Engine Oil

Read again, and trying to insult others isn't going to prove your point.

A synthetic based oil is one where the base lubricant is synthetic (as is rather apparent from the name). This influences the characteristic of the oil most significantly.

It seems you're trying to manipulate words so let's take a minute here to let you decide on one definition of "Synthetic" so you can stick to it from now on. Choose between "Synthetic-base", "Synthetic-blend" or "Fully-synthetic".

I did read through each link and while link 2 does provide technical information about the oil, there's absolutely nothing in it that talks about synthetic/mineral constitution.

So by your logic, the absence of a contradiction is the presence of confirmation? Great, I wish science was that simple.

Link 3 isn't even the same oil we're talking about!

I'm glad you took the time to nullify a statement you made without basis.

Also, while we're on the subject of not knowing people, I'm sure this engineer you're talking to with years of experience is "ill-informed", or maybe you just wish to glorify yourself publicly.

At this point, if you wish to terminate this conversion, be my guest, nobody here will judge you!
Leave it buddy,

I don't have any further patience to make you understand.

Now I know how good understanding you have to all this technical and marketing languages.

And that is why I can't make you understand.

You actually don't want to spread any authentic knowledge,

Instead you only want to prove that you are correct.

So be it, be happy with your imaginary world.

I'll refrain to reply you from now on.

May be because of less experiences with the diesel engines, I never heard about this engine oil before. While having a lil google searches on it, there are places where I can see it is mentioned as a semi-synthetic and in some places as synthetic engine.

So my doubt is, does it offer both synthetic and semi-synthetic oils or just any one of the type?
Selenia WR is a semi-synthetic oil and only comes as semi-synthetic.

Most people who don't know believes what they hear from people/forums.

But it's only a semi-synthetic oil nothing more than that.

I have punto since 2012, I am moderator on a reputed fiat forum,

I have helped many people in solving their car related issues.

I have restored many fiat 1.6,1.9,1.2 palios and S10 too.

So I think you can now believe what I am saying.

Rest it's your will what you wanna believe.

Thread Starter #197
Leave it buddy,

I don't have any further patience to make you understand.

Now I know how good understanding you have to all this technical and marketing languages.

And that is why I can't make you understand.

You actually don't want to spread any authentic knowledge,

Instead you only want to prove that you are correct.

So be it, be happy with your imaginary world.

I'll refrain to reply you from now on.
That is ok, I understand you must be tired, have a nice day! [:)]

I hope to see you around.

Engine Oil Recommendation

Hey Enthusiasts,
I am looking for Engine Oil suggestions for my two petrol vehicles. I hope someone can help me out.
1) Aug 2014 Swift vvt with 19k on the odo. Monthly run : 3000 km. Fully synthetic.
The vehicle is driven really hard and revved hard (always above 2500 rpm) so should I go for 5w30 or 0w20 (Maruti just issued a service circular to use 0w20 in all new cars but my car manual recommends 0w20)
2) 2000 Zen with 1.6 lac km on the odo. Monthly run : 1000 km . I think semi-synthetic will be enough.

I will be going for Shell only as I can get it at a discounted rate.
Thanks.

Re: Engine Oil Recommendation

Hey Enthusiasts,
I am looking for Engine Oil suggestions for my two petrol vehicles. I hope someone can help me out.
1) Aug 2014 Swift vvt with 19k on the odo. Monthly run : 3000 km. Fully synthetic.
The vehicle is driven really hard and revved hard (always above 2500 rpm) so should I go for 5w30 or 0w20 (Maruti just issued a service circular to use 0w20 in all new cars but my car manual recommends 0w20)
2) 2000 Zen with 1.6 lac km on the odo. Monthly run : 1000 km . I think semi-synthetic will be enough.

I will be going for Shell only as I can get it at a discounted rate.
Thanks.
Hi Sona,

Already there is a thread running for this.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/16281-choosing-right-engine-oil.html

Good to know you are aware about the usage of mgo 0w-20 grade engine oil in their kseries cars. Especially since you are from north.[clap]

*Its completely safe to use MGO 0w-20 grade engine oil for the rpm of your usage. Revving upto 3-3.5k rpm is not considered to be an extreme condition for this car.
*THis grade engine oil helps you to get much better low end performances. City driving wont be sluggish anymore.
*Revs much better and the engine feels less strained. Very noticeable when you drive through hilly areas.
*Occasional redlining is also not going to harm the engine with this grade, but if you prefer to drive above 4k rpm then I suggest you to go for a 5w-30 or 0w-40 fully synthetic engine oil.
*This grade engine oil makes you to rev less, since a good amount of performances will get from the lower rpm itself. TAlking from experience.
*Quite good for a good fuel economy. Since your monthly running is 3000kms you can easily save Rs.1200-2000/- of fuel per month. What is your current fuel mileage?
You can change this oil with a frequency of 8000kms, So as to be on the safer side.

If you are going for a good fully synthetic engine oil then you can extent the engine oil change frequency to 12-15k kms without any problem.

I drained my Fully Synthetic Mobil1 5w-30 engine after 13k kms of extensive usage, the reason for keeping it this long why because it was not giving a feel of getting it old.[evil] Yes, other than the change in color, there was no other sign to get this oil changed. Still, I went for the oil change since we were planning for a long trip and decided to try our first MGO 0w-20 grade engine oil.

Prior to the usage I contacted maruti and made telephonic conversations with the maruti regional manager to know more about this engine oil. After finding it to be safe I decided to go for it.

Now planning to continue with MGO 0w-20 untill I get 0w-20 fully synthetic engine oil from MOBIL1[:D]

People may say, 0w-20 is too thin, its not recommended for India Or the MASS who recommended this to you is cheating you for making more profit etc etc..
Maruti Suzuki before producing this circular for the usage of MGO 0w-20 grade engine oil. THey had done extensive tests for more than 3 lakh kms, resulting satisfactory results.

2)When did you last used synthetic engine oil or engine flush in this zen? If its no where in the near future, then its better to continue with the same type of engine oil that you have used till now.

Regards.,

That was like the perfect answer . [clap]Thanks
Just contacted a reputed workshop in Jaipur the service advisor had the similar feeling for high revving cars 5W30 is suitable. And as for oil change interval 10000 km is the max for me.

Also one more question, are heavy grade oils suitable to high milage cars ??
Hi Sona,

Already there is a thread running for this.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/automotive-library/16281-choosing-right-engine-oil.html

Good to know you are aware about the usage of mgo 0w-20 grade engine oil in their kseries cars. Especially since you are from north.[clap]

*Its completely safe to use MGO 0w-20 grade engine oil for the rpm of your usage. Revving upto 3-3.5k rpm is not considered to be an extreme condition for this car.
*THis grade engine oil helps you to get much better low end performances. City driving wont be sluggish anymore.
*Revs much better and the engine feels less strained. Very noticeable when you drive through hilly areas.
*Occasional redlining is also not going to harm the engine with this grade, but if you prefer to drive above 4k rpm then I suggest you to go for a 5w-30 or 0w-40 fully synthetic engine oil.
*This grade engine oil makes you to rev less, since a good amount of performances will get from the lower rpm itself. TAlking from experience.
*Quite good for a good fuel economy. Since your monthly running is 3000kms you can easily save Rs.1200-2000/- of fuel per month. What is your current fuel mileage?
You can change this oil with a frequency of 8000kms, So as to be on the safer side.

If you are going for a good fully synthetic engine oil then you can extent the engine oil change frequency to 12-15k kms without any problem.

I drained my Fully Synthetic Mobil1 5w-30 engine after 13k kms of extensive usage, the reason for keeping it this long why because it was not giving a feel of getting it old.[evil] Yes, other than the change in color, there was no other sign to get this oil changed. Still, I went for the oil change since we were planning for a long trip and decided to try our first MGO 0w-20 grade engine oil.

Prior to the usage I contacted maruti and made telephonic conversations with the maruti regional manager to know more about this engine oil. After finding it to be safe I decided to go for it.

Now planning to continue with MGO 0w-20 untill I get 0w-20 fully synthetic engine oil from MOBIL1

People may say, 0w-20 is too thin, its not recommended for India Or the MASS who recommended this to you is cheating you for making more profit etc etc..
Maruti Suzuki before producing this circular for the usage of MGO 0w-20 grade engine oil. THey had done extensive tests for more than 3 lakh kms, resulting satisfactory results.

2)When did you last used synthetic engine oil or engine flush in this zen? If its no where in the near future, then its better to continue with the same type of engine oil that you have used till now.

Regards.,

Just contacted a reputed workshop in Jaipur the service advisor had the similar feeling for high revving cars 5W30 is suitable. And as for oil change interval 10000 km is the max for me.

When its about a high mileage cars, the bothering thing is whether it has any leak. If there is any then it will be sealed by the carbon deposit. Ya these carbon deposits are good for the untouched high mileage vehicle. [embarass] So in this case when we use a synthetic engine oil, then it will wash away those carbon deposits and will create problem.

Its not a rule that there will be such leaks in every high mileage vehicles, but the chances are high. Because of this reason synthetic engine oils are not generally recommended.

Thats the reason Why I asked you in the previous post that, 'any where in the near future did you use synthetic oil or engine flush in your engine'. If you have used then there wont be any carbon deposit so as to seal the leaks and by then itself it should show the problem if there is any. So in that case you are safe to use synthetic engine oil without any problem(I repeat, there is no rule that high mileage vehicles should have such leaks.)

So the answer to your question is, unless the car has any engine oil consumption its better not to go for a heavier grade oil, it will strain the engine more and the drive will be very sluggish.
I recommend you to stick to the type of oil that you were using till now.

Regards.,

Last edited:

Get MObil1 0W40 or 5W40.

When its about a high mileage cars, the bothering thing is whether it has any leak. If there is any then it will be sealed by the carbon deposit. Ya these carbon deposits are good for the untouched high mileage vehicle. [embarass] So in this case when we use a synthetic engine oil, then it will wash away those carbon deposits and will create problem.

Its not a rule that there will be such leaks in every high mileage vehicles, but the chances are high. Because of this reason synthetic engine oils are not generally recommended.

Thats the reason Why I asked you in the previous post that, 'any where in the near future did you use synthetic oil or engine flush in your engine'. If you have used then there wont be any carbon deposit so as to seal the leaks and by then itself it should show the problem if there is any. So in that case you are safe to use synthetic engine oil without any problem(I repeat, there is no rule that high mileage vehicles should have such leaks.)

So the answer to your question is, unless the car has any engine oil consumption its better not to go for a heavier grade oil, it will strain the engine more and the drive will be very sluggish.
I recommend you to stick to the type of oil that you were using till now.

Regards.,
I agree with you buddy,

+1 from my side.

Since you probably don't know when the car was serviced last, its prudent to replace all the fluids- engine oil and coolant. When replacing engine oil, have them do an engine decarbonisation. Also have a good mechanic check the brake oil and steering oil. Replace the engine air filter and cabin air filter and have all the belts checked for wear. That (if I didn't miss anything) will be a full service.
If the car is fuel injected, I would get the throttle body / injector cleaning also done. It is usually recommended to do this at 40k km and 80k km, so if you don't have a service history, get it done from the ASS

Ameyam

I have already changed the Engine oil transmission oil coolent and engine air filter but i dont know the location of cabin air filter . while appling clutch lever maximum a thud sound coming after some driving the sound will disappear another one some vibration sounds in the left suspension like (kud kud) while driving in bad roads one more thing When not used for one or more weeks a metel sqeuising sound from the engine bay like some bairing issues

Hello,
I own a Honda Brio S MT.
I am looking for the answers of the followings;

1) What is the engine oil grade of Honda Brio?
0W20, 5W30 or 5W40 ? Which one should I use to provide best protection to the engine?

2) What is the quantity of engine oil ?

Thanks.

Top Bottom