Choosing The Right Engine Oil

Thread Starter #181
Honestly, from what I can see online about Selenia 5W40 it seems like a pretty good oil.

With this oil, have you found any issues (while it was fresh) such as cold starting, reluctant/rough acceleration or high NVH?

Re: Best engine oil for fiat linea mjd

Fiat uses semi synthetic oil. I want to switch to synthetic.
Manish If you were using Selenia till 120000 kms,

Then my advise would be to stick to it.

If Kms would have been around 40-50k.

Then I woud have recommended you Mobil Delvac1.

But now it can harm your engine so better would be to stick to Selenia or equivalent oil.

And Stick to 5W40

Last edited:
Thread Starter #184

I have an issue with high nvh. When engine oil is new
Very interesting. Since you're changing the oil soon, it's probably a good idea to switch to something new to see if that makes a difference.

A little internet sleuthing later and I have the following shortlist (in order of recommendation):

1. Shell Helix Ultra Diesel 5W-40
2. Mobil Super™ 3000 X2 5W-40
3. Castrol Edge 5W-40

Make sure you change the oil filter, hope this helps your car!

Manish If you were using Selenia till 120000 kms,

Then my advise would be to stick to it.

If Kms would have been around 40-50k.

Then I woud have recommended you Mobil Delvac1.

But now it can harm your engine so better would be to stick to Selenia or equivalent oil.

And Stick to 5W40
What makes you say that it will cause harm? Especially that it will cause harm now and not at 50k? Please explain your reasoning behind this.

I have personally switched multiple cars over to high-quality synthetic oils over 100,000 miles (~160,000 kms) with nothing but positive results. It's almost always a great thing to switch your engine to a wear-mitigating higher quality oil.

What you do want to avoid, however, is switching to a lower viscosity synthetic oil, as it is bound to leak out from around the now worn down gaskets around the oil system.

Also, Mobil Delvac1 is a heavier duty oil, not ideal for use in passenger vehicles.

Very interesting. Since you're changing the oil soon, it's probably a good idea to switch to something new to see if that makes a difference.

A little internet sleuthing later and I have the following shortlist (in order of recommendation):

1. Shell Helix Ultra Diesel 5W-40
Shell Helix Ultra is too expensive IMO. 4L costs 5,000 while Helix HX7 costs 1599 for 3.5 L... They say HX7 is Semi-Synthetic (Ultra = Fully synthetic) and the rating is 10W 40 opposed to Ultra's 5W 40. If that's not a big difference, HX7 offers better value for money.

Shell Helix Ultra - Amazon

Shell Helix HX7

What makes you say that it will cause harm? Especially that it will cause harm now and not at 50k? Please explain your reasoning behind this.

Also, Mobil Delvac1 is a heavier duty oil, not ideal for use in passenger vehicles.
See buddy when engine becomes a Lac km old,

Some carbon pockets form on the walls of cylinder,

Which actually plays vital role in sealing the combustion chamber.

Using synth oil can wash it off.

And end up with sucking of engine oil into the combustion chamber.

Leading to engine failure, If it din't happened with you then it's your good luck.

But it's risky to switch after 60-80k kms, from mineral/Semi Synth to synthetic.

The carbon pockets doesn't form if you are using synthetic engine oil from day one.

Mobil delvac1 has CI-4+ rating best among any diesel engine oil available.

Be it a heavy duty engine oil but it's best till now.

Can be used in cars as well without any issues at all.

People are widely using it in their cars.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #187

Shell Helix Ultra is too expensive IMO. 4L costs 5,000 while Helix HX7 costs 1599 for 3.5 L... They say HX7 is Semi-Synthetic (Ultra = Fully synthetic) and the rating is 10W 40 opposed to Ultra's 5W 40. If that's not a big difference, HX7 offers better value for money.

Shell Helix Ultra - Amazon

Shell Helix HX7
Very interesting, thanks for the information! In the end it's up to Manish what he finds available and reasonable.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever used Helix HX7? I don't know many people who've tried it before.

See buddy when engine becomes a Lac km old,

Some carbon pockets form on the walls of cylinder,

Which actually plays vital role in sealing the combustion chamber.

Using synth oil can wash it off.

And end up with sucking of engine oil into the combustion chamber.

Leading to engine failure, If it din't happened with you then it's your good luck.

But it's risky to switch after 60-80k kms, from mineral/Semi Synth to synthetic.

The carbon pockets doesn't form if you are using synthetic engine oil from day one.

Mobil delvac1 has CI-4+ rating best among any diesel engine oil available.

Be it a heavy duty engine oil but it's best till now.

Can be used in cars as well without any issues at all.

People are widely using it in their cars.
I'm sorry, but where exactly are you getting this information? First of all, it is nigh on impossible for carbon 'pockets' to build up on the cylinder walls as the tolerance between the wall and moving piston is far too fine. If you were to have carbon buildup in the combustion chamber, it would most likely be on top of the piston, which wouldn't affect oil flow.

There is constantly a film of oil between the outer wall of the piston and inner wall of the cylinder, which lubricates their movement. Even if oil flow were increased, the extra oil would be burnt away (producing a distinct blue smoke) before getting even close to engine failure.

I am very skeptical about "luck", there are almost always solid factors behind every situation.

The one point that is true is that when used earlier, high quality oils mitigate the formation of deposits. However, changing at a later stage can help a lot to clean out one's engine.

The real issue arises when switching from mineral oil to a lower viscosity synthetic. In that case, the cleaning effect of synthetic combined with the thinner nature can lead to leaks. That isn't the case here, though.

The final nail in this coffin would be: Selenia 5W40 for Multijet engines is a Synthetic oil. Hence none of the above issues would arise.

Please confirm that this is the Mobil oil you are talking about:
Mobil Delvac 1™ 5W-40 - India | Mobil™ Asia Pacific
If so, please read through the application and specification data to discover that this is a fleet oil, not for passenger vehicles. If you don't believe the text, look at the manufacturer endorsements: Cummins, Scania, Caterpillar are producers of heavy-duty commercial engines only. You will also notice that it is actually rated SL/CF, which is not very good. As you can see here, just because people are doing it, doesn't mean it's good practice!

Very interesting, thanks for the information! In the end it's up to Manish what he finds available and reasonable.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever used Helix HX7? I don't know many people who've tried it before.
Thanks. I hope I did not sound like someone who poked his nose where it did not belong. Anyways, yes, I am using the HX7 currently. Second time using it, changed the earlier one at a lowly 9500 kms. Can't comment about the NVH, the engine is in a bad shape and needs to be serviced (t'was better earlier). It's otherwise pretty good, cold starts aren't an issue if you use the glow plugs. In fact, the garage owner told me that he had a customer who said he'd wanted full synthetic oil and nothing else. So he suggested the HX7 to him too (He had a can of that stuff so he wasn't lying).

OP mentions that fully synthetic oils are generally used in extreme climatic conditions and racing. We have none here. My theory is that if HX7 iss 40% Synthetic, Ultra is 80% (Or maybe HX7 has 20%, who knows). But since Mr. Manish wants Fully Synthetic, I guess Ultra is a good option too... just that spending Rs. 5k on each oil change is a bit expensive. Just IMO. :smile:

The final nail in this coffin would be: Selenia 5W40 for Multijet engines is a Synthetic oil. Hence none of the above issues would arise.
Selenia is not Synthetic oil it's semi-synthetic oil. Please gather proper info.

Please confirm that this is the Mobil oil you are talking about:
Mobil Delvac 1™ 5W-40 - India | Mobil™ Asia Pacific
If so, please read through the application and specification data to discover that this is a fleet oil, not for passenger vehicles. If you don't believe the text, look at the manufacturer endorsements: Cummins, Scania, Caterpillar are producers of heavy-duty commercial engines only. You will also notice that it is actually rated SL/CF, which is not very good. As you can see here, just because people are doing it, doesn't mean it's good practice!
I told about pockets cause I wanted to spread knowledge.

And I know it happens cause I saw engines giving up.

Don't get offended but I won't argue.

And I am also not offended, telling just for your knowledge.

Mobil delvac1 is not CF it's CI-4+ best spec available in the market.

selenia and most oils available in the market are CF.

I know it's a heavy duty engine oil but it doesn't mean you can't use in MJD.

It's actually a very good heavy duty engine oil that's why it can be used.

I rest...

Last edited:
Thread Starter #190

Thanks. I hope I did not sound like someone who poked his nose where it did not belong. Anyways, yes, I am using the HX7 currently. Second time using it, changed the earlier one at a lowly 9500 kms. Can't comment about the NVH, the engine is in a bad shape and needs to be serviced (t'was better earlier). It's otherwise pretty good, cold starts aren't an issue if you use the glow plugs. In fact, the garage owner told me that he had a customer who said he'd wanted full synthetic oil and nothing else. So he suggested the HX7 to him too (He had a can of that stuff so he wasn't lying).

OP mentions that fully synthetic oils are generally used in extreme climatic conditions and racing. We have none here. My theory is that if HX7 iss 40% Synthetic, Ultra is 80% (Or maybe HX7 has 20%, who knows). But since Mr. Manish wants Fully Synthetic, I guess Ultra is a good option too... just that spending Rs. 5k on each oil change is a bit expensive. Just IMO. :smile:
No, no problem at all! Yes, I wouldn't typically be led to believe cold starts would be an issue in our weather regardless.

Exactly! Yes, it's hard to speculate accurately unless we can find some information, but 40%-50% seems like a good guess. I'm trying to remember how much I pay for my beloved Magnatec, but I'm sure it's much less than 5k.

Ps. Just did a little more reading, people with MJDs really seem to love Helix Ultra, seems like a very good oil!

Selenia is not Synthetic oil it's semi-synthetic oil. Please gather proper info.

I told about pockets cause I wanted to spread knowledge.

And I know it happens cause I saw engines giving up.

Don't get offended but I won't argue.

And I am also not offended, telling just for your knowledge.

Mobil delvac1 is not CF it's CI-4+ best spec available in the market.

selenia and most oils available in the market are CF.

I know it's a heavy duty engine oil but it doesn't mean you can't use in MJD.

It's actually a very good heavy duty engine oil that's why it can be used.

I rest...
I wont argue either, here's the information on Selenia oil:
Petronas Selenia WR| 5W-40| 1 Litre
Lubricants and engine oils Selenia Italia
Best full synthetic 5w40 for Alfa Romeo Diesel | Passenger Car Motor Oil (PCMO) - Diesel Cars/Vans/SUVs | Bob Is The Oil Guy
http://www.cars.robertsaerospace.com/SeleniaOil/WR.pdf

I'm not doubting that you've seen engines give up - it's just more likely that it was due to other factors than just the type of base oil or the cylinder 'sealing'.

What you're reading as "CI-4+" is a different oil grading standard, mentioned on the link in my last post.

Heavy duty is not always a good thing. While it's not unusable, it's designed for different applications as commercial vehicle engines undergo drastically different lives (high load, small rpm range, etc.). For this reason the oil may not be used to it's full potential in a passenger vehicle.

But yes, I understand if you want to relax, no worries!

Last edited:

Selenia WR is semi-synthetic not synthetic.

So you are saying this website's owner Pankaj knows more than me[lol][lol][lol],

That is fine but I think he doesn't know more than Petronas itself.

Check these links out http://www.pli-petronas.co.uk/products_list.aspx?brand=SELENIA&idLingua=2

http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/ENG/pdf/1092_stec_ENG.pdf

http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/ENG/pdf/1412_stec_ENG.pdf

Rest believe what you want to, I am least intended to change your thinking.

Check this for Mobil Delvac1 http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAXXENCVLMOMobil_Delvac_1_ESP_5W-40.aspx

Last edited:
Thread Starter #192

Selenia WR is semi-synthetic not synthetic.

So you are saying this website's owner Pankaj knows more than me[lol][lol][lol],

That is fine but I think he doesn't know more than Petronas itself.

Check these links out PETRONAS Lubricants International

http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/ENG/pdf/1092_stec_ENG.pdf

http://flcf.onion.it/commonfile/ENG/pdf/1412_stec_ENG.pdf

Rest believe what you want to, I am least intended to change your thinking.

Check this for Mobil Delvac1 Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40
Hi Vivek,

If you would have actually looked at my post, you would have noticed there are actually 4 separate links - all from different sources - that confirm the same thing. Please read them if you're interested: there is one from Petronas, one from Selenia and 2 from independent sources.

On a side note, I don't see how you can automatically assume to be smarter than someone you don't even know! Who knows, maybe Pankaj used to work for ExxonMobil? (That is a hypothetical scenario)

I'll break down what you sent me here.

Link 1: Confirms what I said
Link 2: Provides no relevant information
Link 3: Wrong Oil
Link 4: Confirms what I said

I honestly do not see this discussion progressing at all.

Last edited:

Hi Vivek,

If you would have actually looked at my post, you would have noticed there are actually 4 separate links - all from different sources - that confirm the same thing. Please read them if you're interested: there is one from Petronas, one from Selenia and 2 from independent sources.

On a side note, I don't see how you can automatically assume to be smarter than someone you don't even know! Who knows, maybe Pankaj used to work for ExxonMobil? (That is a hypothetical scenario)

I'll break down what you sent me here.

Link 1: Confirms what I said
Link 2: Provides no relevant information
Link 3: Wrong Oil
Link 4: Confirms what I said

I honestly do not see this discussion progressing at all.
# Buddy except 99rpm(unofficial marketing gimmick) every official link posted by you says it's semi-synthetic.

# I think you need to gather some more knowledge, synthetic base doesn't mean it's synthetic.

# You are saying link 2 doesn't has relevant data[surprise], do you only want to argue me, simply to prove that you are correct or do you really want to spread some good knowledge, at-least read it buddy, it has specs of selenia WR.

# I posted 2nd and 3rd link for comparison. So that you can see how to differentiate b/w synthetic and semi-synthetic.

# 3rd oil not wrong it's fully synthetic oil.

# So you are saying you know better than me about myself[lol]You know whether I know pankaj or not. [lol] Great.

Now let me tell you that he was the guy asking us to have a corporate tie up so that he can sell his products on our forum. But we refused him cause he is a retailer not manufacturer or importer.

and I am NCR moderator of that forum, myfiatworld(DOT)co(DOT)in

A piece of advise for you buddy just gather some info about the things before you say on any open reputed forum. Cause somebody is gonna believe what you write here and may follow too.

I don't want to win from any ill-informed person but here people see your post and follow too.

Now I don't want to comment on Mobil Delvac1, assume whatever you want to. I like it's specs and using it without any issues.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #194

# Buddy except 99rpm(unofficial marketing gimmick) every official link posted by you says it's semi-synthetic.

# I think you need to gather some more knowledge, synthetic base doesn't mean it's synthetic.

# You are saying link 2 doesn't has relevant data[surprise], do you only want to argue me, simply to prove that you are correct or do you really want to spread some good knowledge, at-least read it buddy, it has specs of selenia WR.

# I posted 2nd and 3rd link for comparison. So that you can see how to differentiate b/w synthetic and semi-synthetic.

# 3rd oil not wrong it's fully synthetic oil.

# So you are saying you know better than me about myself[lol]You know whether I know pankaj or not. [lol] Great.

Now let me tell you that he was the guy asking us to have a corporate tie up so that he can sell his products on our forum. But we refused him cause he is a retailer not manufacturer or importer.

and I am NCR moderator of that forum, myfiatworld(DOT)co(DOT)in

A piece of advise for you buddy just gather some info about the things before you say on any open reputed forum. Cause somebody is gonna believe what you write here and may follow too.

I don't want to win from any ill-informed person but here people see your post and follow too.

Now I don't want to comment on Mobil Delvac1, assume whatever you want to. I like it's specs and using it without any issues.
Read again, and trying to insult others isn't going to prove your point.

A synthetic based oil is one where the base lubricant is synthetic (as is rather apparent from the name). This influences the characteristic of the oil most significantly.

It seems you're trying to manipulate words so let's take a minute here to let you decide on one definition of "Synthetic" so you can stick to it from now on. Choose between "Synthetic-base", "Synthetic-blend" or "Fully-synthetic".

I did read through each link and while link 2 does provide technical information about the oil, there's absolutely nothing in it that talks about synthetic/mineral constitution.

So by your logic, the absence of a contradiction is the presence of confirmation? Great, I wish science was that simple.

Link 3 isn't even the same oil we're talking about!

I'm glad you took the time to nullify a statement you made without basis.

Also, while we're on the subject of not knowing people, I'm sure this engineer you're talking to with years of experience is "ill-informed", or maybe you just wish to glorify yourself publicly.

At this point, if you wish to terminate this conversion, be my guest, nobody here will judge you!

May be because of less experiences with the diesel engines, I never heard about this engine oil before. While having a lil google searches on it, there are places where I can see it is mentioned as a semi-synthetic and in some places as synthetic engine.

So my doubt is, does it offer both synthetic and semi-synthetic oils or just any one of the type?

Top Bottom