Choosing Motorcycle Engine Oil: A Comprehensive Guide

Thread Starter #1
From my 12 years of owning, riding, and maintaining motorcycles, I have spent countless hours or perhaps even days researching and wandering forums all over the internet to find the best engine oil out there.

Short answer, there is no 'best engine oil' out there. Each engine oil behaves differently in different engines. And each engine oils are built differently.

Something that I found out was that 'you get what you pay for' for most known oil brands.

My research on better oils started after I bought a KTM Duke 390 5 years ago and it needed oil top-ups quite often without any signs of oil burn.

The recommended oil for the bike was Motorex SS oil internationally, but Motul 7100 was used in India.

In my ownership thread in this forum, I mentioned how others have also faced a similar oil disappearing phenomenon with the Motul 7100 oil in India.

I switched to another oil, Shell Advance Ultra to see if it makes a change. Contrary to the popular opinion that we won't be able to find any noticeable differences between oils, I felt a difference in how the bike performed, the gearshifts were not as smooth as with the 7100 when the engine got hot. This was confirmed by someone else who used the same oil in their KTM.

Each engine oil out there has a datasheet with the test numbers. I went through the datasheets of popular engine oils sold in India and compared them.

I found out something interesting from this, the test numbers were proportional to the cost of these oils. That is, a highly-priced oil had better lab test results.

Most of the oils sold in India are API SN and JASO MA2.

To meet this specification, the oil has to meet a basic standard. It does not matter how much better it goes beyond this standard.

I compared the datasheets of popular engine oils sold in India. 15W50 viscosity was used as the reference. In those oils where 15W50 is not available, 10W50 was used.

Properties compared.

Viscosity Index (VI) - The viscosity index (VI) is an arbitrary, unitless measure of a fluid's change in viscosity relative to temperature change.

TBN - Generally, oils with a higher TBN better neutralize acids and combustion by-products, resulting in longer oil life and improved protection against corrosion

Flash Point - The flash point is the lowest temperature at which the vapor above the oil sample will momentarily ignite or flash when an ignition source is passed over it.

cST - Centistoke (cSt) which is used to report the kinematic viscosity of motor oil at high temperatures. The number reflects the time required for a fixed amount of fluid to flow through a certain-sized orifice on the testing device.

1708754378803.png

The above chart of popular 15W50/10W50 4T engine oils sold in India is sorted by Viscosity Index. You can see how the VI increases with the cost of the oil.

Although it is not as evident as the VI, both the flash point and TBN are also proportional to the cost of the oil,

Hi,
Interesting research. I have owned, ridden, repaired and rebuilt many motorcycles over the last 56 years. I stand by the comment that the manufacturer knows best. Always use the grade recommended in the user manual, or the nearest you can find.
If your bike was made in the Dino era use mineral oil, don't substitute semi or fully synthetic oils. They will not give better protection and may even make things worse.
Use the grade in the book. Don't skimp, buy high quality brands and change the oil according to mileage and conditions. If in doubt change it sooner.
Simple, works everytime.

Regards Neil

Thread Starter #3
Hi,
Interesting research. I have owned, ridden, repaired and rebuilt many motorcycles over the last 56 years. I stand by the comment that the manufacturer knows best. Always use the grade recommended in the user manual, or the nearest you can find.
If your bike was made in the Dino era use mineral oil, don't substitute semi or fully synthetic oils. They will not give better protection and may even make things worse.
Use the grade in the book. Don't skimp, buy high quality brands and change the oil according to mileage and conditions. If in doubt change it sooner.
Simple, works everytime.

Regards Neil
I wish it was as simple as that. KTM recommends 15W50 semi synthetic Motorex 4T oil for all small KTM engines as per their user manual and service manual.
Since this oil was not available in India, KTM India replaced it with Motul 7100 15W50 for both KTM 250/390 and 20W50 for 200 engines. This was untill Motul stopped selling 7100 15W50 in India and later KTM changed it to 7100 10W50.
I have heard tales of people using the factory recommended oil for millions of miles with no issues (Yamaha used to give lifetime engine warranties for those using Yamalube oils). I'm more than happy to do it but unfortunately the manufacturer recommended oil this case, Motul 7100 simply disappears out in thin air without any trace.

Hi,
KTM are obviously happy with 10w/50 and 15w/50 semi or fully synthetic oil being used in your bike.
To be honest there is very little difference between the 2 grades. There is a tendency to move towards "thinner" oil grades across the whole motoring world. Many are now down to 0W/xx
Motul 7100 10W/50 and 15W/50 API SN are fully synthetic oils.
Any International QUALITY brand of oil is suitable as long as it meets the requirements stated in the user manual. For example 15W/50 semi-synthetic that meets or exceeds API SM approval will be just as good as Motul. As you say Motul are now happy to use fully synthetic in your engine.
The brand name is irrelevant, that is just a marketting arrangement between KTM and Motul.
My Ford Focus recommends BP Diesel, but I will happily use any quality brand like Shell or Esso as well, but not a cheap "supermarket brand"
If you cannot find the Motul grade you need just select a quality oil of the same grade and standard.
It's easy to over analyse.
Regards Neil

Top Bottom