Chevrolet Sail LS ABS TCDi Ownership Review

Thread Starter #16
Re: Chevrolet Sail gets recalled

My Sail got recalled for the replacement of the faulty part.
I went to Rajvir motors Shimla for the replacement.
The part is crank shaft hub bolt, its purpose is to tighten and keep in place the timing belt (as told by mechanic)
following parts were removed for the installation:
Air filter
turbo
exhaust
front left wheel
it took approximately 1 hour to get the job done.
although my car was running smooth, the service manager told me that this new bolt has better threads in it and is of superior quality, although till date very few vehicles showed any problem related to this bolt.

Here are the pics of the Bolt

bolt1.jpg

bolt.jpg

Congrats buddy !! on your New Sail Sedan. I had lot of hopes on these twins hatch and sedan, but some how it has not picked up so well as expected while launch may be due to these kind of initial hickups and also some bad talk about the engine problems surfaced when Chevy announced a recall.

You can check a thread which talks about bad FE with this and one of our member from Vizag has very bad experience dealing this car.

Anyway I like the car very much for every thing you wrote in your review and wish you many more happy miles.

Thread Starter #18
Congrats buddy !! on your New Sail Sedan. I had lot of hopes on these twins hatch and sedan, but some how it has not picked up so well as expected while launch may be due to these kind of initial hickups and also some bad talk about the engine problems surfaced when Chevy announced a recall.

You can check a thread which talks about bad FE with this and one of our member from Vizag has very bad experience dealing this car.

Anyway I like the car very much for every thing you wrote in your review and wish you many more happy miles.
Yes, i have gone through all the threads, but luckily my car is showing good numbers. One thing which I recommend to everybody is that , when you change a car from petrol to diesel, you also have to change your driving habits. This chevy, if you drive flooring the throttle all the time, you will never get good economy figues (Initially this happened to me), but on the recommendation of my mechanice, i started driving with a light foot and since then the numbers are good. What I do is:
1. Try to cruise in 1800 - 2400 rpm range.
2. Drive with a light foot. You can cruise at 100 kmph easily even with a light foot. Only you have to change your habit.

Congrats - your Jahaaz looks great in that beige shade. The Sail is one of those underdogs that are a great VFM options in the compact sedan segment. Sorry to hear that the first few days were spoilt due to shoddy QA at the factory - was it due to a large gap between vehicle manufacture and delivery ? Also, doesn't Shimla weather require fog lamps ?

We have an old Opel Corsa in our family and GM service experience has been quite good so far. I'm sure this vehicle will be a great reliable companion for you for years.

Thread Starter #20
Congrats - your Jahaaz looks great in that beige shade. The Sail is one of those underdogs that are a great VFM options in the compact sedan segment. Sorry to hear that the first few days were spoilt due to shoddy QA at the factory - was it due to a large gap between vehicle manufacture and delivery ? Also, doesn't Shimla weather require fog lamps ?

We have an old Opel Corsa in our family and GM service experience has been quite good so far. I'm sure this vehicle will be a great reliable companion for you for years.
Yes, it is indeed a VFM, it wasnt due to the gap between manufacturing and delivery, as my vehicle's QA check date was 14th May and was delivered to use on 24th May ( i took the delivery on 26th though). I am satifisfied with the technical team of the Chevrolet ASS at shimla, but cant say same about the sales and marketing team.

Thread Starter #21

Regarding Fog light, it is just an accessory not a necessity. Only you need to drive on low beam, thats all

Thread Starter #24
That LED display is kind of too strong. What you feel friend. BTW, in how many months this 10000 KMs.
During day time, the LED is strong and is good, when you switch on the head light, this display dims and is soothing.
10K was done in less than 6 months.

Here is the mileage I recorded yesterday, when i was starting a 300KM drive to Gurgaon.

20131208_162453.jpg

During day time, the LED is strong and is good, when you switch on the head light, this display dims and is soothing.
10K was done in less than 6 months.

Here is the mileage I recorded yesterday, when i was starting a 300KM drive to Gurgaon.

View attachment 118392
Wow, that is great. Actually I forgot about my posting and those picture also. But when I was seeing the recent picture I was seeing it as a new one and found it superb. I was wondering from which car this are from.

It looks great man.

Thread Starter #26
Re: Few issues @ 11000 KM odo

Yesterday, my Jahaaz crossed 11000KM mark, here are few issues that have sprung:

Although the black part just below the wipers was replaced earlier, the squeaking noise is back and is really irritating. This noise only comes when driving on rough roads.
Driver door is also creating some squeaking noise while on rough terrain.

Other things noticed:
The pickup and performance has increased after 7500 KM quality assurance checkup ( it was amazing to see that the car reaches 160 effortlessly)
There is slight decrease in fuel efficieny, hopefully the car will show good numbers after 15000 Km oil change service

My rating for the performance: 5/5
Comfort while driving: 4.5/5 ( Seats should have a bit longer lumber support)
Efficiency: 3/5
Overall Owning experience: 5/5 ( I can recommend this car happily )

The 2014 Version is a Good makeover of the Sail Twins.Has new feautures and some Bug Fixes too.You can go with that happily Mr.Kaps.You can expect the FE of Petrol more than 12 on City and in Diesel 16 in Citys and both with AC 20% ON.You can start a new thread regarding this as there are many experts who can help you out.

Thanks torq. I m now looking to buy this car the 2014 version. How r u doing now. Any other problem and what's the FE you r getting now?
Have you bought the SAIL? If yes, would like to know about your experience with the car.

I am getting 12.5 kmpl in city with 40-50% AC use, during winter time i got 13.5-14 kmpl as AC usage was almost nil. Highway mileage hovers around 15-16 mostly with AC. (Mine is Petrol)

Last edited:
Have you bought the SAIL? If yes, would like to know about your experience with the car.

I am getting 12.5 kmpl in city with 40-50% AC use, during winter time i got 13.5-14 kmpl as AC usage was almost nil. Highway mileage hovers around 15-16 mostly with AC. (Mine is Petrol)
No sappy. I went with Chevrolet Enjoy Diesel, and it is going fine as of now. Your Petrol efficiency looks OK to me. But owners can comment with their experiences.

Top Bottom