Chevrolet Beat Mesh Grille DIY

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys !

I just got bored in my holidays and decided to do some DIYs on my BEAT LT TCDi 2011, starting with a Honey-comb style grille in the lower bumper vent.

Yesterday, i went to Ranigunj, Hyderabad and got a 4x1 sq foot honeycomb grille for Rs. 120/- It is anti-rust , pure Aluminium.

Today i started measuring the length and trimming it to fit. I'll post the steps with pictures :

I am going to paint the stock parallel plastic rods in there with matte black paint to make sure that the look of the grille stays clean.

Suggest me some more ideas if any to add some spice to the look. And tell me what is the best way to fix the mesh - clips / screws / frame.

Measuring the dimensions for trimming -

IMG_20140520_160746.jpg

Cutting the edges precisely with a wire cutter rather than bend-breaking -

IMG_20140520_152049699.jpg

Probable look, without fixing it -

IMG_20140520_160654.jpg

IMG_20140520_160544.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #3
Re: DIY Chevrolet BEAT Honeycomb grille/mesh - lower bumper vent.

Hey hi Saketh,

that's a good DIY..[clap]

but it will look more good if your paint or spray them to black...!![glasses]

do check my DIY and your comments on it....

link - http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/17336-headlamp-bulb-relay-kit-white-parking-light-installation-wagon-r.html
Thanks, Ankit.

I wanted to keep them in that silver color for a while, then change to black. Wanted some distinction between the main grille and this one.

Sure, i'll express my ideas in your thread [thumbsup]

Your grill is awesome. I like the design.
I tried to locate the same some months earlier for Maruti 800 but could not source it here.

Thread Starter #5

Thanks, Prakritij.
I suggest you ask in some carpenter shops for the place where they make meshes and grilles.
They will sure have a honeycomb or atleast rhomboid type mesh.
Good luck [thumbsup]

Thread Starter #6

Done with the DIY.
I went to a hardware store and bought a jet-black spray paint can for 200/-
They had only acrylic gloss paint, no matte finish ones, so had to adjust with it.

First, i masked the bumper except for the paint area, sprayed 2 coats on the grille area, and then started installing the mesh.
The mesh had to be fixed to the grille by wires, so i made some tiny holes in the vertical wall plate on either side of the open grille area.

Fixed the mesh, fastened it with the wires, and EUREKA !

I'll keep this silver shine for a month or so, and when i get bored again, i'll paint the mesh black too, to give it a more bold look

Attachments

Looks neat and clean.

Does the mesh edges scratch the bumper?
Any rattling or vibrations while driving since you've used fasteners?

Looks good, but requires some cosmetic upgrades. A chrome beading should add more looks to this project.

Also this will develop rattle noise in near future. Also the sharp edges are equally dangerous (may be while washing / cleaning or if you have kids accessing your parking bay) I would suggest, cover the sharp edges with M-Seal layer and add a chrome beading over it.

Thread Starter #9
Looks neat and clean.

Does the mesh edges scratch the bumper?
Any rattling or vibrations while driving since you've used fasteners?
I took care that the mesh edges didn't scratch the bumper. First, i sanded the jagged edges with sanding brick, and also placed a paper between the mesh and bumper while mounting it [:D]

No rattling sounds or vibrations while driving too. Fastened it pretty tight, and uniformly, so it shouldn't give noise anytime soon [:P]

Looks good, but requires some cosmetic upgrades. A chrome beading should add more looks to this project.

Also this will develop rattle noise in near future. Also the sharp edges are equally dangerous (may be while washing / cleaning or if you have kids accessing your parking bay) I would suggest, cover the sharp edges with M-Seal layer and add a chrome beading over it.
I searched for a chrome beading too, but no luck finding it !
In the upcoming holidays, i'll make one myself, and paint the mesh black too.

And i took care of the sharp edges by sanding them , bent the cut ends deep inside too [:)]

Thread Starter #11
That grill area is removable., If so remove the area and fix the grill alone. It will looks much better IMO :)
No, rakeshkn. BEAT's lower grille is not removable like i10's. That is one-piece hard plastic bumper. I wish BEAT had a removable lower vent too, like i10's .. but this one-piece build is actually stronger [:)]

By the way, i finished my DIY finally [:D]

Painted the grille too, with the lower sling, in Jet Black, giving it a moustache-style look.

Thanks for all of your opinions, guys. Will do a lot more DIYs soon [clap]

Attachments

guys could anyone help me where i can get the same type of grill used in this thread. i am very much interested to get a grill to go for my mod. i am from chennai

Top Bottom