Chennai To Kolkata Road Trip With Our Dog

Thread Starter #1
  • Distance: ~1700 Km
  • Stops: Vishakhapatnam, Bhubaneshwar
  • Drivers: A professional driver, My Husband and Me
  • Fuel:. ~142 l, ~12000 Rupees
  • Total Toll: 845
  • Car: 6-month-old Honda Amaze CVT
We wanted to visit our home for the festive season. We have a dog-named Goofy (1-year-old Shih Tzu) and we did not feel like leaving him behind. Since my dog is more than 5 kilos, we cannot take him by air with us. We had to book him in Cargo, with which both of us were not comfortable. The second option was travelling by train in a first class compartment. Due to pandemic, we felt that a road trip was the best option, as we will be interacting with fewer people.

We had visited the Vet that week to get some helpful medicines. He prescribed a spray which when sprayed on his bed will make him sleep and another medicine for vomiting. Thankfully, we did not need it this time.
We got our car’s second servicing done a day before we left.

For food, we prepared 2 days Tiffin. Had taken Bread for breakfast and Poori, sabji, bhujia, sauce, pickle and vegetables for salad.

First day we were covering 800km, which needed 16hrs. So we started early at 4 AM. We gave goofy a 5 min break after every one hour. Our first big stop was at CCD at around 8 AM. It was a petrol pump with CCD, a dhaba named ‘Shere Punjab’ and a small play area attached to it. We made simple club sandwiches and ate there. The bathrooms of petrol pumps till vizag were all locked. You can get the keys if you ask the people working there. They were mostly of Indian style, which was a big relief.

The first day I drove around 6 hrs. My husband drove for 4 hrs. Bablu Bhaiya drove the last 300kms, as both of us did not want to drive at night. We were on NH16 the whole time except for a short while. The stretch from Vijaywada to Rajahmundry was full of potholes. The road there was pretty as it was parallel with Godavri. There were 4 bridges on dams also on which you can get a good view. We reached Vizag at around 8.30 PM. Our stay here was at a studio apartment near the beach road, which we had booked from Air BNB.

The next morning we went to the beach at 6. We left Vizag by 9 o clock after having our breakfast. Today we had decided that the two of us will drive the whole time. By this time goofy knew that if he barks we give him a break. Therefore, he made us stop after every 45 minutes. The road from Vizag to Bhubaneshwar is very pretty as the whole time the Eastern Ghats run parallel to the road. The clouds and a slight drizzle made the view prettier. There is one point where the road is at one of the mountain and you can get a full view of Chilka Lake. The only bad thing about the road is that there are no good eateries on the way. A lot of shacks and Dhabas, but we did not feel like stopping on them. There were a few diversions as the road was under construction but even there the road condition was good. In Odisha the govt has a rule that petrol pump bathrooms cannot be used by travelers. Therefore, after a petrol pump refused to give us the key to toilets, we stopped at Car showrooms for washroom. We reached Bhubaneshwar at 6.30, where we stayed in an Air-Bnb in old town.

The next day we wanted to reach home early so we left by 8AM and decided to let Bablu bhaiya drive the whole stretch. The roads were in perfect conditions with very less diversions. Today since both of us were there with Goofy, even he was very calm and did not ask for many breaks. We just stopped for our breakfast and lunch and one extra washroom stop. Since we had finished our packed food, we ate in restaurants. We reached Kolkata at 5 o clock even after a 1 hr. break for lunch at GT restura at Jaleswar.
Goofy.jpg
IMG-20201003-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20201005-WA0003.jpg
bhubneshwar AirBnB.jpeg
Pretty Road.jpg
Vizag Studio Apartment (2).jpeg
Goofy.jpg
IMG-20201003-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20201005-WA0003.jpg
bhubneshwar AirBnB.jpeg
Pretty Road.jpg
Vizag Studio Apartment (2).jpeg

Lovely pics and great journey. Your dog is cute too.

But you should have put the log in the main voyage section rather than the travel itinerary. Asking admin to tow it in proper section.

I am planning something in November from Kolkata Chennai Kolkata for work.
You are legend in travelogues, I had gone through all your threads and really enjoyed. Why are you not active these days. My last long trip is Bangalore to Mumbai say about 1000Km, the whole stretch is driven by me, 17 hours inclusive of just two hours lunch and dinner break.

• Distance: ~1700 Km
  • Stops: Vishakhapatnam, Bhubaneshwar
  • Drivers: A professional driver, My Husband and Me
  • Fuel:. ~142 l, ~12000 Rupees
  • Total Toll: 845
  • Car: 6-month-old Honda Amaze CVT
We wanted to visit our home for the festive season. We have a dog-named Goofy (1-year-old Shih Tzu) and we did not feel like leaving him behind. Since my dog is more than 5 kilos, we cannot take him by air with us. We had to book him in Cargo, with which both of us were not comfortable. The second option was travelling by train in a first class compartment. Due to pandemic, we felt that a road trip was the best option, as we will be interacting with fewer people.

We had visited the Vet that week to get some helpful medicines. He prescribed a spray which when sprayed on his bed will make him sleep and another medicine for vomiting. Thankfully, we did not need it this time.
We got our car’s second servicing done a day before we left.

For food, we prepared 2 days Tiffin. Had taken Bread for breakfast and Poori, sabji, bhujia, sauce, pickle and vegetables for salad.

First day we were covering 800km, which needed 16hrs. So we started early at 4 AM. We gave goofy a 5 min break after every one hour. Our first big stop was at CCD at around 8 AM. It was a petrol pump with CCD, a dhaba named ‘Shere Punjab’ and a small play area attached to it. We made simple club sandwiches and ate there. The bathrooms of petrol pumps till vizag were all locked. You can get the keys if you ask the people working there. They were mostly of Indian style, which was a big relief.

The first day I drove around 6 hrs. My husband drove for 4 hrs. Bablu Bhaiya drove the last 300kms, as both of us did not want to drive at night. We were on NH16 the whole time except for a short while. The stretch from Vijaywada to Rajahmundry was full of potholes. The road there was pretty as it was parallel with Godavri. There were 4 bridges on dams also on which you can get a good view. We reached Vizag at around 8.30 PM. Our stay here was at a studio apartment near the beach road, which we had booked from Air BNB.

The next morning we went to the beach at 6. We left Vizag by 9 o clock after having our breakfast. Today we had decided that the two of us will drive the whole time. By this time goofy knew that if he barks we give him a break. Therefore, he made us stop after every 45 minutes. The road from Vizag to Bhubaneshwar is very pretty as the whole time the Eastern Ghats run parallel to the road. The clouds and a slight drizzle made the view prettier. There is one point where the road is at one of the mountain and you can get a full view of Chilka Lake. The only bad thing about the road is that there are no good eateries on the way. A lot of shacks and Dhabas, but we did not feel like stopping on them. There were a few diversions as the road was under construction but even there the road condition was good. In Odisha the govt has a rule that petrol pump bathrooms cannot be used by travelers. Therefore, after a petrol pump refused to give us the key to toilets, we stopped at Car showrooms for washroom. We reached Bhubaneshwar at 6.30, where we stayed in an Air-Bnb in old town.

The next day we wanted to reach home early so we left by 8AM and decided to let Bablu bhaiya drive the whole stretch. The roads were in perfect conditions with very less diversions. Today since both of us were there with Goofy, even he was very calm and did not ask for many breaks. We just stopped for our breakfast and lunch and one extra washroom stop. Since we had finished our packed food, we ate in restaurants. We reached Kolkata at 5 o clock even after a 1 hr. break for lunch at GT restura at Jaleswar.
View attachment 282022 View attachment 282023 View attachment 282025 View attachment 282026 View attachment 282027 View attachment 282028 View attachment 282022 View attachment 282023 View attachment 282025 View attachment 282026 View attachment 282027 View attachment 282028
Excellent travelogue, beautifully narrated, nice pictures. Shih Tzu is amazing. Expecting return trip travelogue with more exciting pictures and narration of the return trip.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice and short travelogue during this pandemic. Remembered my drive from Pune to Puri. The section from Rajahmundry to Vizag is always bad, don't why the authorities don't fix it.

This is the location from where you get the first glance to Chilka lake

Top Bottom