Chennai To Kodagu (Madikeri) This December

Thread Starter #1
Planning a holiday with my wife at Club Mahindra resort Madikeri this December and thought of taking my KUV. Since I'm taking a few days off before the Christmas Vacation, I have booked in the 3rd week of December.

Here's the route I am planning to take - please suggest your input on road conditions, traffic etc.

Day 1: Afternoon start around 3pm - Chennai to Salem (overnight halt at my in-laws place) -Thought I would avoid spending Hotel room in Bangalore and stay at in-laws in Salem even if it means a few extra kms overall

Day 2: Early morning around 6am - Salem to Mysore drive with my father-in-law on board. Halt at Mysore for Lunch. Father-in-law will get down at Mysore and spend the day sightseeing and return by night to Salem. Meanwhile planning to start after lunch from Mysore and reach resort by 5 - 5:30 pm hopefully before dark.

Day 3,4,5: stay at resort and probably local sightseeing

Checkout day: leave early - start around 7:30 am after breakfast from resort and Drive to Mysore. Have lunch and then visit relatives and then start from Mysore to Salem again after lunch. Plan to reach Salem by around late evening.

Question: Google suggests three routes from Salem - Mysore.

One is via Erode - Sathyamangalam.
Other is Krishnagiri - Bangalore - Mysore
Other is via Kollegal

Please let me know which route is recommended.

Attachments

Thread Starter #3
Take this route , take a left turn after E-City at NICE road Toll Way and Exit at Mysore Road.
Thanks.
Though strangely google didn't suggest that route in my earlier map shared. Just noticed though, but it was suggested on another occasion when I searched for it.

EDIT: this route is suggested only on direct Chennai to Mysore, but I am not planning to go to Bangalore, but rather break journey at Salem at my in-laws place.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Take this route , take a left turn after E-City at NICE road Toll Way and Exit at Mysore Road.
Just to clarify, I am going from Chennai to Salem and halt overnight at my in-laws place and then to Mysore and Bangalore route is not at all suggested by google from Salem and is almost 351 kms, whereas the Erode - Sathyamangalam route is 254 kms.

How is the road condition for Erode - Sathyamangalam??

Day 1: Afternoon start around 3pm - Chennai to Salem (overnight halt at my in-laws place)
It is done-deal, pretty straight forward.
Day 2: Early morning around 6am - Salem to Mysore drive. Meanwhile planning to start after lunch from Mysore and reach resort by 5 - 5:30 pm hopefully before dark.
Answer below. By the by, from Salem you will reach Mysore only by 12/1pm! Sightseeing might not be possible.

Checkout day: leave early - start around 7:30 am after breakfast from resort and Drive to Mysore. Have lunch and then visit relatives and then start from Mysore to Salem again after lunch. Plan to reach Salem by around late evening.
Question: Google suggests three routes from Salem - Mysore.
Mysore to Madikeri will be straight forward too. Hunsur - Kushalnagara - Suntikoppa - Madikeri. 2-3 hrs, depending upon breaks / location of resort. IIRC, Club Mahindra is in other side of the town, Kalluru Road...so probably you may need to bypass Madikeri town. Upon reaching Suntikoppa, you can call them for the route advice.

Just to clarify, I am going from Chennai to Salem and halt overnight at my in-laws place and then to Mysore and Bangalore route is not at all suggested by google from Salem and is almost 351 kms, whereas the Erode - Sathyamangalam route is 254 kms. How is the road condition for Erode - Sathyamangalam??
Erode - Sathyamangalam: Is a wide 2-lane via Gobi. I wasn't aware of any construction going on in this stretch. Bangalore is an overkill for Salem to Mysore. Kollegal - MM Hills - Mettur, haven't even this considered route. Last heard (about an year back), that it had many broken sections. On the NH544 route, my suggestion would be NOT to come till Erode. Exit 544 at Chithode and from there Gobi - Sathyamangalam - Bannari - Punjanur - Chamarajnagar - Nanjangadu - Mysore. The RF forest has an entry-exit restrictions in the night, nothing to worry if you are traveling in day time. The Dhimbam Ghat section has a lot of lorry traffic. Be careful & give way to long vehicles. Occassional breakdowns may hamper progress, but it usually gets cleared quickly. Post ghat section, the roads could be a bit narrow (in the forest reserve area), otherwise a wide 2-lane all the way. It might take around 5-6hrs. Please note that post Sathyamangalam (town specifically), till CR Nagar there might be no decent place to stop. Even in CR Nagar, just a couple of places. Post Nanjangud, there's a CCD as well.

Thread Starter #6
It is done-deal, pretty straight forward.

Answer below. By the by, from Salem you will reach Mysore only by 12/1pm! Sightseeing might not be possible.

Mysore to Madikeri will be straight forward too. Hunsur - Kushalnagara - Suntikoppa - Madikeri. 2-3 hrs, depending upon breaks / location of resort. IIRC, Club Mahindra is in other side of the town, Kalluru Road...so probably you may need to bypass Madikeri town. Upon reaching Suntikoppa, you can call them for the route advice.

Erode - Sathyamangalam: Is a wide 2-lane via Gobi. I wasn't aware of any construction going on in this stretch. Bangalore is an overkill for Salem to Mysore. Kollegal - MM Hills - Mettur, haven't even this considered route. Last heard (about an year back), that it had many broken sections. On the NH544 route, my suggestion would be NOT to come till Erode. Exit 544 at Chithode and from there Gobi - Sathyamangalam - Bannari - Punjanur - Chamarajnagar - Nanjangadu - Mysore. The RF forest has an entry-exit restrictions in the night, nothing to worry if you are traveling in day time. The Dhimbam Ghat section has a lot of lorry traffic. Be careful & give way to long vehicles. Occassional breakdowns may hamper progress, but it usually gets cleared quickly. Post ghat section, the roads could be a bit narrow (in the forest reserve area), otherwise a wide 2-lane all the way. It might take around 5-6hrs. Please note that post Sathyamangalam (town specifically), till CR Nagar there might be no decent place to stop. Even in CR Nagar, just a couple of places. Post Nanjangud, there's a CCD as well.

Thanks a lot, very helpful. I am going to use the Bhavani - Sathyamangalam road. Ruling out the Mettur - Kollegal route as you suggested.

Top Bottom