Cheating / Short Fuelling Tricks at Petrol Pumps

One more thing to add - Do not ask attendant to fill fuel of fixed amount like 500 Rs / 1000 Rs sicne they have adjusted there pump reading accordingly. Take change with you and ask for either no. of litres or odd amount like 520 Rs
Just wanna know how it differ from the fixed amount method. Anyway they have did tampering. So what is matter whether litre or amount.
That's quite true it will be tampered, but we should try doing this and immediately watch the expression of the fuel attendant, let me try it today [;)]

What I meant by tampering was for say 500 Rs of fuel they might feel 498 Odd Rs and the last unit is immediatley rounded to 500 Rs. By doing 520 Rs they might have not calliberated device to round off. Anyways let us wait for Vishwas to come back with his findings

Ha. Ha. Best of luck Vishwas. I like your logic.
What I meant by tampering was for say 500 Rs of fuel they might feel 498 Odd Rs and the last unit is immediatley rounded to 500 Rs. By doing 520 Rs they might have not calliberated device to round off. Anyways let us wait for Vishwas to come back with his findings
Oh well, seems like it doesn't make any difference, told the guy to fill the fuel for 520 Rs, and he did fill in a normal way. No the fuel pump was not crowded. and i get the usual readings of liters only with a few point digits going up, this wasn't done with my regular fuel pump, I have to try it again.

But one thing i observed, when the fuel filling comes to an end i.e., if you are filling for 1000 Rs when the amount comes to 985/- the dispenser makes some little (think that's the cut-off) noise and only less fuel comes than usual, which means they are looting around 15 Rs.

Actually once i was cheated 4 years back at IOCL bunk in Vizag-Gajuwaka where I asked to fill Rs. 1000 worth petrol. Asked me see tare 0-0 which i did. Filling guy started filling and around Rs.500 in mark one more attendant came to my side window (driver side) and gave a newspaper and one wiping cloth as compliment. My wifey saw another (third) guy clicking on the machine making it zero around Rs.600 mark when I was distracted at driver window. Wife pointed that to me and I just came out of car yelled at those guys. Important to mention here that the IOCL mobile Complaint Number given DOESN'T WORK [frustration]. It was switched off. Asked wife to come out of car took keys off and alerted about this cheat drama to other 3 customer cars behind in line and to two-wheelers in parallel line. The pump employees got panicked and they agreed to fill for my remaining ~Rs.400 worth petrol. The manager / owner of the pump simply yelled at his employees and asked me to apologise for his employees behaviour. Who knows whether he is or not a part of this cheating !!!
From then on good lesson learnt. Never ever believe any petrol pump at any point of time. My best way to ensure NOT TO BE A SUCKER is
1. Get down from car
2. Stand near tank cover and Never take eyes out of reading at any point of time.
(Actually many petrol pump employees tried to distract me but I was STRONG and NEVER TOOK MY EYES OFF FOR WHATEVER REASON. [:D].
I simply yell back at the person who tried to distract me after completion of filling
3. If possible fill tank to full.

The above is a routine which I will follow for my life. Actually when i travel by taxis as a passenger I found many taxi drivers do this to their car.

Last edited:
1. Get down from car
2. Stand near tank cover and Never take eyes out of reading at any point of time.
(Actually many petrol pump employees tried to distract me but I was STRONG and NEVER TOOK MY EYES OFF FOR WHATEVER REASON. [:D].
I simply yell back at the person who tried to distract me after completion of filling
3. If possible fill tank to full.
I always get down from the car. The main reason is In my alto Fuel lid is come on Left hand side. So if some guy is standing near rear passenger window we can't see where he is filling.

This happened with me few weeks back on BP bunk near Khed-Shivapur. I asked for full tank, the guy started filling and suddenly at 300 it stopped. I asked him, what happened? He said power gone and within few minutes power came back (only a trick). He swiped his card again to start fueling. I told him to reset the counter to zero first as it has stopped without pouring any diesel into the tank. He nodded and started fueling and moved away. Another guy came in and after tankful he told me the final bill of Rs ~2450. I said the meter says it's ~2150, how can you say that it's ~2450. He said that when power had gone it was 300 on the meter. I said it happened within 1-2 seconds, and I have not heard any sound of fuel flowing in. Moreover, the fuel tank doesn't have that much capacity. He started giving excuses that their fuel pumps are very fast and bla bla... I had increased my voice by this time and demanded to talk to his manager. The guy seem shocked and asked for other attendant to jump in for the help. The other guy did not step in and shouted from his place itself to collect whatever is there on the meter.

Bless you, lady..!! May your tribe increase...
Not sure which bunker is this...

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/37419476.cms

3 petrol pump employees held for cheating

PUNE: Three employees of a petrol pump on Paud Road were arrested on Friday for cheating a woman while filling diesel in her car.

Vilas Bajirao Kadam (27) of Uttamnagar, Babu alias Nitin Mohan Shinde (28) of Kalewadi and Liyakat Sikander Shaikh (48) from Shastrinagar in Kothrud were arrested after a complaint was filed against them by Anagha Ghaisas (46) of Paud Road.

According to the police, Ghaisas had filled diesel worth Rs 2,372 in her car, but the employees had allegedly tampered with the meter to show that she had filled fuel worth Rs 2,960.

Ghaisas pointed out that Rs 2600 was required to fill the diesel tank and sought reasons for them demanding extra money with an intention to cheat her.

When the both the parties broke into a heated arguments, one of the employees changed the meter reading back to Rs 2,372 to prove that the meter was not tampered.

The employees claimed that there were no illegalities in functioning of the pump and allegedly threatened Ghaisas with dire consequences, following which she lodged a complaint.

You can do the following to avoid getting cheated:
1. Always ask for odd amount while asking for petrol /diesel i.e. Rs.520/- , Rs.380/- etc
2. Always ask for bills from the dispensing units
3. Most pumps are automated now. You can check the automation by asking the pump manager
4.Complaint to Oil company officials. Believe me they take it very seriously !!!

You can do the following to avoid getting cheated:
1. Always ask for odd amount while asking for petrol /diesel i.e. Rs.520/- , Rs.380/- etc
2. Always ask for bills from the dispensing units
3. Most pumps are automated now. You can check the automation by asking the pump manager
4.Complaint to Oil company officials. Believe me they take it very seriously !!!
Great tips buddy. Will be useful. From this time onwards, I will definetely follow your great tip of asking odd amount...eg:990 instead of 1000 and 1485 instead of 1500 which will be correct. Thanks for sharing.

2 Days back , i refueled at not my regular fuel pump and believe , he filled 40 Lit of diesel , when my DIS is still showing 80kms.! ( manza 42L tank)

At same stage i have filled regularly at another fuel pump , which is near my home and he usually fills about 36 or 37 litres at that stage.

Also people generally say , when filled at the later , the bike gives more milage

The cheating pump is the same pump where TAI members filled after the pondy meet

Re: Improve Your Car’s Fuel Efficiency

One more important suggestion here is something which I have experienced over and over (Atleast here in Hyderabad, Mod's if you feel this is inappropriate please move it)

The guys at petrol bunks are looking to make a fast buck by conning customers.I experienced this yesterday and had to thrash the young chap who filled fuel in my car.

Sequence of events:

1. I stop at bunk and ask the attendant to fill in Diesel worth Rs1000.
2. Guys sets the counter to zero (Good)
3. Second guy comes and asks Cash or card, partially blocking my view of the counter.(Thats ok)
4. The cashier is trying to talk some nonsense (Does this card need pin etc) and I am watching the counter.
5. Attendant stops at 200Rs and pulls the fuel gun out.
6. I ask him - dude "Its 1000 I asked for" (I've experienced this trick lots of times)
7. He says "Sorry, I'll fill in another 800" and goes back pretending to reset the machine. (I acted as if I am not watching carefully)
8. He DOES NOT reset it to Zero and continues from 200 - 800 and takes fuel gun out and closes my fuel cap.
9. I get down and give him a tight slap and took the attendant and the cashier to the manager and make them narrate the story.

So guys - Increasing fuel efficiency is one thing but are we getting the fuel we are paying for ? And this is not a rare occurence - TRUST ME!

Thanks
Avi
Same thing happened with me today. I told the attendent to fill petrol for 1000rs and gave card he knocked on my window so that i can check that he's starting from zero and in couple if seconds the meter goes till 250.45Rs and stops second attendent came and said since its an autocut they will fill for remaining 750Rs i said ok and he started filling,my eyes were glued to the meter the attendent stopped at 750Rs and started closing the lid. I rolled down the window and said
ME: "ye kya pura 1000rs ka bhar" ( what are you doing fill for 1000rs)
ATTENDENT: "Sir ji pehele 250Rs ka bhara tha ab 750Rs ka hogaye na 1000rs" (sir i filled for 250Rs before the autocut and 750Rs after that pointing at the meter showing 750Rs)
ME: "** c*****a [anger] kise banara hai ( who are you trying to fool)
Now am out of car in anger attendent senses that am pissed off and asks the other that did he set meter to zero or not which the other attendent said "NO" he apologised and filled for 250Rs . guess this is practised all over country [frustration]

Top Bottom