Cheap Car for Drag Racing

If you go for a Palio 1.6 I happily tune it for you.

However, if you go for tge Zen, then I will help you. Just keep me updated.

I will be in the near future back in India and I might need a reason to visit Goa. [;)]

I agree Baleno parts are expensive,in that case a 2001 honda city vtec has cheaper maintenance,a friend had a zen with 1.6 old civic engine & nos,destroyed all the other zens with baleno & esteem engines(running nos)

so get an engine with not only a bigger cc but tuneable to your needs

are there any restrictions?

like engine capacity ?

If money is not an issue get a honda city no engine , go to janakpuri (if I spelt that right) get a Type R Civic or integra engine . Do some tweaks and you'll get there eventually.

not sure if you can register the car with that engine. but should be fine for drags?

good to see people doing drags.

I do street racing with my car here but that just depends on where is the race.

Thread Starter #19

like engine capacity ?

If money is not an issue get a honda city no engine , go to janakpuri (if I spelt that right) get a Type R Civic or integra engine . Do some tweaks and you'll get there eventually.

not sure if you can register the car with that engine. but should be fine for drags?

No restrictions on engine size. But I want it to be as cheap as possible. The drag racing is not so advanced. Most people are racing stock cars.

I agree Baleno parts are expensive,in that case a 2001 honda city vtec has cheaper maintenance,a friend had a zen with 1.6 old civic engine & nos,destroyed all the other zens with baleno & esteem engines(running nos)

Again I want something easily available and easily maintainable. Looks like the E-Zen is the best option here.

If you go for a Palio 1.6 I happily tune it for you.

However, if you go for tge Zen, then I will help you. Just keep me updated.

I will be in the near future back in India and I might need a reason to visit Goa. [;)]
I should have known this before. I would have kept my Siena 1.6.

Before going to fit and engine that needs more than a bolt on I would rather spend some money on the internals. The Baleno and Esteem engines are very capable engines. You just need to do a bit of work on them.

like engine capacity ?

The Fiat engine is a lot better than the Honda engine when it comes to tuning. The block is much stronger and much better engineered. The early Super 1600s were less powerful than the Civic R types and still left them for dust. The later 1600 gained another 15% power.

And if you really want to go mad with the 1600 Fiat lump then you can turbo it, which is done regularly in Greece with power outputs exceeding 400bhp.

Before going to fit and engine that needs more than a bolt on I would rather spend some money on the internals. The Baleno and Esteem engines are very capable engines. You just need to do a bit of work on them.

The Fiat engine is a lot better than the Honda engine when it comes to tuning. The block is much stronger and much better engineered. The early Super 1600s were less powerful than the Civic R types and still left them for dust. The later 1600 gained another 15% power.

And if you really want to go mad with the 1600 Fiat lump then you can turbo it, which is done regularly in Greece with power outputs exceeding 400bhp.
I am not so sure about turboing the Fiat

I am not really familiar with Fiat cars , here In Aus we dn't have any well known Fiat sports cars.

I was giving him an Idea of a Type R engine because they are mostly NA and high reving

I never driven a Type R car , but heard they are fast.

I have driven mostly the Japanese sports cars : Soarer , Supra , Skyline , Silvia s13 , 14 ,300zx , 180 sx , 200 sx s15 etc etc

none of my mate has a honda type r neither a fiat ..

@ Peter , Ikon must be a good car

but my friend is already spending some money on his honda civic , half of the work is done ..so far 1.5 lacs spent . type r block and haltech ECU etc etc

if u need more info on that i can give u forum link. hes in delhi :)

Honda engines are a tuners friend,I have not really heard of any Fiats being a tuners fantasy,the Japs have always been preferred when it comes to power upgrades(atleast here in India),i have noticed the honda engines out do the baleno & esteem blocks when the stakes are up

I am not so sure about turboing the Fiat

I am not really familiar with Fiat cars , here In Aus we dn't have any well known Fiat sports cars.

I was giving him an Idea of a Type R engine because they are mostly NA and high reving

I never driven a Type R car , but heard they are fast.

I have driven mostly the Japanese sports cars : Soarer , Supra , Skyline , Silvia s13 , 14 ,300zx , 180 sx , 200 sx s15 etc etc

none of my mate has a honda type r neither a fiat ..

@ Peter , Ikon must be a good car

but my friend is already spending some money on his honda civic , half of the work is done ..so far 1.5 lacs spent . type r block and haltech ECU etc etc

if u need more info on that i can give u forum link. hes in delhi :)
I am tuning Fiats for over 20 years and Alfa Romeos even longer. I used to tune German cars before that and more recently I came back to European cars.

Having dealt with too many problems on Japanese cars, I rather stay clear of them with one exception, which is Suzuki.

Getting power out of them is not difficult. But I am more interested in torque and its spread then peak power. I only start smiling when I get 120Nm per liter out of the engine. And only from there the real fun begins.

The Honda engines are overrated.

Honda engines are a tuners friend,I have not really heard of any Fiats being a tuners fantasy,the Japs have always been preferred when it comes to power upgrades(atleast here in India),i have noticed the honda engines out do the baleno & esteem blocks when the stakes are up
They might not be that popular in India, but Tuners prefer Fiats over here in Europe.

Novitec derived from DTM and is a well known Fiat, Alfa, Lancia, Ferrari tuner. Similar to Engstler.

Other companies like G-Tech, Clovertech, Merkur etc all love Fiats.

On my next visit I will start to heavily modify a Fiat Palio. The parts are already waiting to get into my suitcase. And the car is waiting for me Ahmedabad.

I am tuning Fiats for over 20 years and Alfa Romeos even longer. I used to tune German cars before that and more recently I came back to European cars.

Having dealt with too many problems on Japanese cars, I rather stay clear of them with one exception, which is Suzuki.

Getting power out of them is not difficult. But I am more interested in torque and its spread then peak power. I only start smiling when I get 120Nm per liter out of the engine. And only from there the real fun begins.

120 nm per liter?? I am guessing thats a full blown turbo job then(guessing its a v8),but on a drag strip(since thats the topic here)what do you think is preferred good amount of torque at mid or high rpm(with relation to per liter,under INDIAN conditions),obviously not low rpm that is a city car,

so around what rpm do you achieve these peak torque & bhp figures on your Fiat or alfas,just curious as i am under impression fiats are not exactly rev happy with heavier heads(which is good torque though)

120 nm per liter?? I am guessing thats a full blown turbo job then(guessing its a v8),but on a drag strip(since thats the topic here)what do you think is preferred good amount of torque at mid or high rpm(with relation to per liter,under INDIAN conditions),obviously not low rpm that is a city car,

so around what rpm do you achieve these peak torque & bhp figures on your Fiat or alfas,just curious as i am under impression fiats are not exactly rev happy with heavier heads(which is good torque though)
Well, me least powerful car at the moment is an 1108cc MPI Fiat FIRE engine, which you have in the Palio.

This is a normaly aspirated engine with 133Nm (just 120Nm per liter). It is having GSR AIR, GSR re-map, GSR throttle body modification and GSR exhaust mosification.

Data was confirmed on 3 different chassis dynos.

Peak torque currently is a 2200rpm.

Out of another 1108 engine we got out 98bhp at 7000 rpm. which run a batch MPI.

The kit car engine, which is bored out from 1108cc to 1146cc the peak power is 157bhp. It is still an 8v based on the 1108 FIRE block. The Seicento kit car is road legal in Europe, which means it has to fulfill TUV requirements.

The threshold for normally aspirated is currently seen as 136Nm for N/A engines. And guess who came the closest to it? Carlo Abarth with a 2 liter Fiat engine just short of 270Nm.

Well, me least powerful car at the moment is an 1108cc MPI Fiat FIRE engine, which you have in the Palio.

This is a normaly aspirated engine with 133Nm (just 120Nm per liter). It is having GSR AIR, GSR re-map, GSR throttle body modification and GSR exhaust mosification.

Data was confirmed on 3 different chassis dynos.

Peak torque currently is a 2200rpm.

Out of another 1108 engine we got out 98bhp at 7000 rpm. which run a batch MPI.

The kit car engine, which is bored out from 1108cc to 1146cc the peak power is 157bhp. It is still an 8v based on the 1108 FIRE block. The Seicento kit car is road legal in Europe, which means it has to fulfill TUV requirements.

The threshold for normally aspirated is currently seen as 136Nm for N/A engines. And guess who came the closest to it? Carlo Abarth with a 2 liter Fiat engine just short of 270Nm.
Well those are some amazing figures,but i am sure these are on 95 ron or 98 petrol,at the moment most cannot get there hands on more than 91,so i feel peter would be interested on a figure on a 1.6 palio with 91 octane fuel,and price of the kit & possible figures achievable would benefit,guessing peter is till sticking to a zen?

Well those are some amazing figures,but i am sure these are on 95 ron or 98 petrol,at the moment most cannot get there hands on more than 91,so i feel peter would be interested on a figure on a 1.6 palio with 91 octane fuel,and price of the kit & possible figures achievable would benefit,guessing peter is till sticking to a zen?
The octane rating problem I want to address on my next visit. There is a number of ways round it. But I am not discuss this here as yet. First I have to do my testing in India.

Thread Starter #29
Wow. What else can I say.

The only reason I would go with Suzuki is easily availability in India.

My +1 to that.

They might not be that popular in India, but Tuners prefer Fiats over here in Europe.
Also in South America. Brazil & Argentina are full of tuned Fiats.

Well I am not sure about european cars bro.

Only one car I know and driven is Volkwagon Golf R32 that NA V6 engine is fast and sticks to the road

FIAT is okayish not that popular in Australia , and same goes for ALFA Romeo's one of my mate (indian guy) bought Alfa GT159 2009 Model and sold it in 3 months time thats how bad it was.

Honda cars if they are well tuned you can do alot with them. I am not a Honda Fan but in here you can get really nice modified car for cheap You have to love the sound of it.

Let me post a Video:

honda civic type-r - YouTube

Top Bottom