Charging Mobile Phone via Car's Audio System USB Port. Safe Enough?

Thread Starter #1
Hi All,

I own a Honda Jazz which has a USB port along with the music system. I was wondering [thinking] if I could charge my android cell phone through USB charging facility by connecting the phone to the USB port using the phone's data cable?? Is it safe?? any chance of issues with the current and voltage ratings ?? Pls let me know:help:
-thank you

Re: Is it safe to charge cellphones via car audio system's USB port?

There is nothing wrong as per my knowledge.i was using the same facility earlier.later bought a car mobile charger. I think you can buy the same with multiple pin and it will be useful for co traveller's mobiles also.

I don't see there should be any harm. My Pio 1490 does charge the IPOD when plugged in and playing, never tried though the same with my cellphone.

There is no harm in doing so, I was doing the same till I bought my Lumia mobile which is not getting detected with the USB port of the music system. Then I bought a Belkin USB charger online which can be fixed in cig lighter slot and charge with that at present

No worries.It will be all fine as i do the same ..you get the charger wwith multiple options which can be hooked up in the cigarrate lighter slot.

Hi All,

I own a Honda Jazz which has a USB port along with the music system. I was wondering [thinking] if I could charge my android cell phone through USB charging facility by connecting the phone to the USB port using the phone's data cable?? Is it safe?? any chance of issues with the current and voltage ratings ?? Pls let me know:help:
-thank you
Read the manual,does your manual says that you can use it as charger ? if yes then you can .If not DO NOT.

It is safe. Maximum voltage from dedicated power source is 5.25 volt. If not a dedicated power source, can vary from 3.3v to 5v. All usb ports will have power. Or else it can't detect the device (unless a separate power source connected). Some device lacks power and you see two usb comes at one side for getting the right voltage.

You can use without worries. Absolutely safe

Exactly Shibu - I many times charge my Xperia through HU USB Port. What I have noticed is it takes more than douible the time for charging. If I plug mobile at home for say 40-45 mins with 80% battery life whereas in car it takes more than 2 odd hours. Anyway I do not see any harm in charging cell just in case of any emergency. No issues till date. I have been doing this for 1 year for xperia and before that 2 years for Samsung mobile :)

Exactly Shibu - I many times charge my Xperia through HU USB Port. What I have noticed is it takes more than douible the time for charging. If I plug mobile at home for say 40-45 mins with 80% battery life whereas in car it takes more than 2 odd hours. Anyway I do not see any harm in charging cell just in case of any emergency. No issues till date. I have been doing this for 1 year for xperia and before that 2 years for Samsung mobile :)
no problem atall. i guess xperia takes more power compared to other phones. same case with my xperia U. i guess the current output from HU USB is 40mA-100mA. where as for charging we need 500mA-800mA.

Ideally there should be no problem if u have a HU of a decent company. Which I suppose you have.

But also, I would like to point out, a friend of mine had his smartphone's IC burnt when he charged it using an Airport's charging point.It was because of fluctuating power. Hope there is no risk of such things happening in car.

Top Bottom