Changes Felt After Servicing Bullet

Thread Starter #1
So, I gave my bullet for the fifth paid service a while ago. Odo was at 9840 and as you probably know, it's a smoothly run-in bike and all. After the service was done, the gear shifts felt very clanky and rough (still feels like that 1k kms after the service). Used to be buttery smooth before.
Also, used to start with one push of my leg no matter how cold it was (yes, push and not even kick). But now it takes at least three to start. The clutch also feels quite rough as in, shifting into first makes the cogs bite and move the bike even with the clutch disengaged. And I already tried adjusting the clutch. It is on the maximum possible setting, beyond which the clutch starts to disengage even at full engagement.
The only thing that has been changed is the way I tuned the carburettor. Still gives the soft blurb, the deep thump with very low volume and the lovely fuel efficiency - just the way I tuned and love it.
Any insight on these stuff? And sorry if this has been addressed already or something. I tried searching beforehand but couldn't find any threads.

Re: Changes felt after servicing

The only thing that has been changed is the way I tuned the carburettor. Still gives the soft blurb, the deep thump with very low volume and the lovely fuel efficiency - just the way I tuned and love it.
You got the answer already.
1) Carb tuned for efficiency --> lien mixture --> delay in cranking
2) To compensate the lien mixture engine must be running at a higher idle rpm than previous setting --> gear shift issues.

Thread Starter #3
Re: Changes felt after servicing

A very valid point. Except, I tuned it that way 2000 kilometres before servicing with zero starting or shift issues and only after getting it back, the issues cropped up. Plus, it's not in lean. It's at 3.5 (plus a little bit) turns from full screw-in position.
And sorry, I meant to say, "The only thing that has not been changed..." Somehow I missed the 'not'. Can't change it now either, so sorry about that.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #4
Guess I've been sleeping for too long. Just wanted to share a couple of minor scares that the bike gave me recently.
I planned a pretty long trip from Hosur to Mysore and the day before, I decided to just do a test run to verify the bike's condition. I was rumbling along a forest near Hosur when the bike stopped. Just stopped! Fuel tank wasn't empty, fuses weren't blown. Literally, there was nothing I didn't try my hand at. Finally gave up and wheeled the 400 lb guy through a small village for two gruelling kilometres. I was sweating, out of breath and my legs were so exhausted by the time I found out a workshop. The service guy inspected and declared that the spark plugs were receiving no current and that the full wiring had to be looked at.
I was frustrated, tired and alone. Left the bike there, took the documents and caught a bus back home. Thankfully, this happened only 20 kilometres away from Hosur. Got the bike back two days later along with a Rs 1000 bill for taking apart the whole damn bike and rewiring everything nice and tight. I realised there had been stupidity on my part. I saw the odo and it showed 16100 and I remembered that the last time I gave it for service, it was back at the odo showing 9800... Oops[clown] Gave it for a full service the very next day and things were going smoothly for a few days before the bike started dying on me randomly again. Plenty scary! Imagine riding on the highway with 22-wheeler trucks on either side lanes and suddenly conking out. But this time, a hard press or a tap on the kill switch got the engine breathing again. Even though this 'jugaad' seemed to get me from A to B, I wasn't convinced and I definitely wasn't looking forward to getting stranded and meeting wild elephants in some forest.
Still, I mustered up courage and went to another nearby forest a month later. I was so immersed in the beauty of the winding roads and hairpin bends that I chose to ignore the clanking sounds coming from the rear wheel. I thought it was some twig caught inbetween the spokes but alas it wasn't!
To add insult to injury, rats made a nest in the toolbox and our dog attempting to bite the rats, pulled out a lot of the wiring from the head and made huge bite marks on both side boxes. Fed up with one issue after another cropping up, I took it back for the next service (which was due anyway) and they told me that the wheel bearings had worn out, causing the clanking sounds. Quite a shame as I hadn't even crossed 17000 yet. Nevertheless, I asked them to rectify it properly, look into the wiring and also to clean up the kill switch.
Since then there hasn't been any unwanted noise and the bike hasn't switched itself off randomly. Slapped some black paint over the unsightly bite marks and fingers crossed, I don't become unfortunate enough to spend a night wheeling the bike through jungles again. Lost most of my interest in taking the bike for long rides. I've become apprehensive about even taking it to my office for fear of it breaking down and costing me a day's leave. Pretty saddening especially considering the fact that after all these incidents, I went extra soft on my riding style tuned the carburetor to my taste and I've been constantly getting a FE of more than 44 kmpl. Touched 47 once and other times it's definitely 44 to 46. #wastedpotential [cry]

Top Bottom